Republicans kill Veterans bill in Senate

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/veterans-benefits-senate-republicans-104060.html?hp=l3

I suppose they're supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That's tougher for vets that lost a hand or foot from an IED. The main Republican talking point I've heard thus far is that the bill is only a political ploy by the Democrats in an election year. And that it is too expensive. That's really fucking sad.

If we as a nation cannot default on our national debt, how can we default on our veterans? These men and women paid in blood for us and we owe them, much more so than we owe the Chinese on our bonds.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/veterans-benefits-senate-republicans-104060.html?hp=l3

I suppose they're supposed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That's tougher for vets that lost a hand or foot from an IED. The main Republican talking point I've heard thus far is that the bill is only a political ploy by the Democrats in an election year. And that it is too expensive. That's really fucking sad.

If we as a nation cannot default on our national debt, how can we default on our veterans? These men and women paid in blood for us and we owe them, much more so than we owe the Chinese on our bonds.

GOP claiming $21B is too expensive is just precious, after they blew trillions of dollars on wars that created those veterans.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can't fathom how there wouldn't be major backlash for this. It's almost like the GOP isn't even trying anymore.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
It's really very sad and pitiful how this country treats its veterans. Hey if you're some shitty pop star or dime a dozen athlete though, you're worshipped.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Republicans kill Veterans bill in Senate

Ordinary GOP procedure, Americans love it, nothing to see here, move along.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I think military pay should be raised, although I don't know much about what it is now. But I've heard many families are on food stamps. What's the big difference between more money through increased wages versus food stamps?

I also think it odd that the Senate Dems are pushing benefits for military personnel while at the same time Obama is proposing wage freezes, mass layoffs and other cuts for military personnel. The Repubs might have a point about this being political posturing for the elections.

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think military pay should be raised, although I don't know much about what it is now. But I've heard many families are on food stamps. What's the big difference between more money through increased wages versus food stamps?

I also think it odd that the Senate Dems are pushing benefits for military personnel while at the same time Obama is proposing wage freezes, mass layoffs and other cuts for military personnel. The Repubs might have a point about this being political posturing for the elections.

Fern

Veteran benefits are not the same thing as cutting military personnel or expenses how you are even able to equate the two is ridiculous!

But thanks for apologetic post on behalf of your GOP handlers.

Shameful!

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Silly Rabbits, Republicans don't do anything in Harry Reid's Senate. Impossible!

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Send them to fight for your profits/interests and then throw them away - not surprised, just shameful that a group which touts patriotism would do such a thing.

Nov 30, 2006
Republicans say that "the bill was too expensive and disputed the way it would be paid for with overseas contingency operations funds used to fund the war in Afghanistan. And that, Republicans argued, wouldn’t amount to real savings, since the money wouldn’t have been spent anyway with the war winding down by year’s end."

Do we have any evidence that Democrats reached across the aisle in an attempt to address these concerns? If not, I would agree with Republicans that Democrats are just being assholes and using this as fodder for their upcoming political ads to smear Republicans this Fall.

Republicans need to offer a similar bipartisan bill that addresses their major concerns...yeah, I know it will never see the light of day but at least we'll get the satisfaction of seeing their true colors.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Republicans say that "the bill was too expensive and disputed the way it would be paid for with overseas contingency operations funds used to fund the war in Afghanistan. And that, Republicans argued, wouldn’t amount to real savings, since the money wouldn’t have been spent anyway with the war winding down by year’s end."

Do we have any evidence that Democrats reached across the aisle in an attempt to address these concerns? If not, I would agree with Republicans that Democrats are just being assholes and using this as fodder for their upcoming political ads to smear Republicans this Fall.

Republicans need to offer a similar bipartisan bill that addresses their major concerns...yeah, I know it will never see the light of day but at least we'll get the satisfaction of seeing their true colors.

Wait so you are saying we should spend trillions on "wars" where we are not wanted that injure soldiers but can't take 21 billion from those same funds to help those that had to go fight those wars? Really? o_O

Yea why help soldiers when that money can go to defense contractors.

Nov 30, 2006
Wait so you are saying we should spend trillions on "wars" where we are not wanted that injure soldiers but can't take 21 billion from those same funds to help those that had to go fight those wars? Really? o_O

Yea why help soldiers when that money can go to defense contractors.
That's not what I'm saying at all. Have you suffered a severe blow to the head recently?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I find this to be very interesting. It seems, on the surface, at least, that the liberals here have already diagnosed their true colors and condemn them creating the mental picture for me anyway, that you may just be slow to come to a correct conclusion. But my natural or unnatural, or even perhaps delusional desire to play fair and consider the other person's opinion with fair and unbiased openness prompts me to consider the possibility that you are right. Is it possible, I ask myself, then, if it could be that the liberals are all suffering conformational denial, rather than that your own denial has made you slow in the uptake.

But I think also of the neuroscience research that identifies conservative morality as focused the most on team play, the trait identified as a conservative manifestation to destroy the league in preference to losing.

Clearly the power of rationalization, an other identified trait more excessively identified by research as conservative than liberal, has got to factor somewhere into these things.

One would love to be open minded, conciliatory, and willing to compromise with the opposition but I am strongly of the opinion that liberals don't really get that from the other side and that the result, inevitably is war. It seems to me that conservatives, because of their range of moral standards, can't compromise with liberals because to do so would be making a compromise with evil. It is this demonization of the left, I believe, that is the real origin of all this mess.

I note that when I hit back and demonize the right as being monsters of demonization, they go absolutely apoplectic. Why do you suppose that is?

Anyway, I think I understand conservative values rather well even though I do not much share a number of them. This makes me regard the conservative notion that liberals are evil and not to be compromised with on moral grounds an anathema so profound as to threaten the nation itself. It makes them the real source of evil to be addressed and responded to as any conservative would, annihilation of the other side. You guys started it and it's up to us to put it to bed.

But I wish to be kind in my merciless and absolute commitment to higher morality and I wish to be open to any sign of real humanity from the other side. If the Republicans could put forward any kind of solution to the veterans problems, I would, thanks to your post, want to try my best to hear it.

The greatest immorality I can think of would be to become so convinced of the evil of the other that it would harm somebody who should be helped. We always become what we fear. The unconscious always manifests. In it we find our real motivations, if we can find a way to look.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

What concerns? The concerns about not wanting to spend money on the veterans that the republican wars created?

Moar hatred of the troops by the GOP. Nothing new.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
GOP claiming $21B is too expensive is just precious, after they blew trillions of dollars on wars that created those veterans.

they dont give a fuck about you if you arent actually fighting.
I found this out the hard way.

Nov 30, 2006
I remember when Democrats voted against Medicare Part D and bitched and moaned for years because of the cost. Democrats obviously don't give a fuck about the sick and elderly.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Both parties suck. Why would anyone fight for a country that doesn't respect them?

Sad. :(

Nov 30, 2006
Do you also remember that they were right?
They weren't right. Costs came in less than half of what was originally projected. But why would Democrats care about costs when it benefits so many people? What high ground do Democrats have to stand on here?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
They weren't right. Costs came in less than half of what was originally projected. But why would Democrats care about costs when it benefits so many people? What high ground do Democrats have to stand on here?

Lets see...off the top of my head I'd say it's the fact that they're not coming across as hating the troops.

Admit it, if Obama vetoed a 21B bill for veterans, conservatives would explode with rage. Go on, it won't hurt...