Republicans complain about "unprecedented" obstruction

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Toomey lays another golden quote:

“We did not inflict this kind of obstructionism on President Obama,” added Sen. Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.), the only other senator in the room. He added that the Democrats were committing “a completely unprecedented level of obstruction. This is not what the American people expect of the United States Senate.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...87d6e6a3e7c_story.html?utm_term=.2de54f88a667

I'm happy to see he's woken up from his 8 year coma without having checked any newspapers or history of the Obama administration.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 16, 2005
Sorry HayabusaRider, you're not allowed to disagree with any facet of far left orthodoxy no matter that your basically liberal political stances are mainstream Democrat. There is no tolerance by this current crop of Democrats for any dissent of any shape or form. To disagree with them is to be considered an enemy.
yo, tajjy, remind me again what happened to the acting ag who dared to say 'no' to drumpf. She still have her gig or what?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
2.5-Qt.-Solid-Copper-Tea-Kettle-with-Brass-Handle-P15567326.jpg

meet

flower-pot-transparent.png
Teapot meet flower pot? Teahadist meet flower child?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
how's that tajjy?
because I feel that the democrats should spend the duration of drumpf's presidency being obstructionists? I do, and I am 100% ok with it. They dicked over obama at every turn, turtle mcconnell saying "one of my proudest moments was when I looked at Barack Obama in the eye and I said, ‘Mr. President, you will not fill this Supreme Court Vacancy"
I repeat myself, fvck them, fvck drumpf and fvck you.

Would winning the next election balm your shattered soul, or will your hatred be returned to you in kind?
It is infectious after all, and if Democrats truly feel as you do, there will be plenty of ill will to go around.
If 2016 was any indication, the United States has already crossed the Rubicon.

Today it is we the people who are Caeser.

"Elections have consequences and at the end of the day," you lost

Democrats are attacking the election. The filibuster must be eliminated, and majority rule established. Democrats will protest and walk out, and all pretenses of civility or Union will be gone. Upon this path it will be neither words nor votes that carry on. Today the American people witness a decent into madness.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Democrats are attacking the election. The filibuster must be eliminated, and majority rule established. Democrats will protest and walk out, and all pretenses of civility or Union will be gone. Upon this path it will be neither words nor votes that carry on. Today the American people witness a decent into madness.

I'll bet you didn't say that back in 2009. And, uhh, how does a President who didn't win a plurality of votes claim the legitimacy of majority rule?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

It's funny how Republican thugs had no issue with minority rule on inauguration day. The moment Democratic senators try to play by the same rules that gave a president with a 3M vote deficit, they're subverting democracy.

Pretenses of civility or Union disappeared the moment the Republican establishment tacitly endorsed a fascist.

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Republicans/Democrats 2 sides of the same partisan coin. Maybe we can finally end the smarmy, holier than thou bullshit from the lefties in this forum complaining about obstructionism.
Actually, I think this is precisely what Bannon/Trump want to do:

eliminate our two-party system and replace it with non majority parties so we can all be at each others throats. Then they (and the Wealthy elite) can do what they please.

And I think you are a part of this effort. I think there are people like you who are trolling the internet spewing hate and division.

I think it is a perfect way to weaken the United States of America.

I do not trust you.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2005
Would winning the next election balm your shattered soul, or will your hatred be returned to you in kind?
It is infectious after all, and if Democrats truly feel as you do, there will be plenty of ill will to go around.
If 2016 was any indication, the United States has already crossed the Rubicon.

Today it is we the people who are Caeser.

well my soul is my own, so a silly election will neither break it or mend it. It's a level of frustration and exhaustion that nags at me, the republicans crying about the democrats being obstructionists, conveniently forgetting how obstructive, they, themselves were, and for 8 years.
drumpf is not a uniter, he will not work towards mending fences, he wallows in fear, makes his living off of angst and worry and tempestuous statements.
I have zero sympathy for him or his lackeys. They have not earned any respect nor should they garner any sympathy. We are a very divided nation now. I don't see how that can be changed in the near future.
To believe that drumpf fights for the common man, that he actually works for middle income families is laughably naive.
I hope we can turn this around before it's far too late, but I think you're correct in your assessment of 2016, we have indeed crossed the Rubicon.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
We are a very divided nation now. I don't see how that can be changed in the near future.

We cannot. Not when one side clearly wants to exterminate the other. The searing images of parents separated from their children at airports across the country had absolutely no effect. They don't see us as people. They are monsters.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'll bet you didn't say that back in 2009. And, uhh, how does a President who didn't win a plurality of votes claim the legitimacy of majority rule?

Tell me, when has it come to this before?
170201111307-demcorats-boycott-mnuchin-price-hearings-febraury-1-2017-large-tease.jpg

I fear that from those empty seats will rise separatist actions. And even if you don't follow through on it, by the time you win election Republicans will hate you every bit as much as you do them today. Then the playbook you use now will be escalated even further. Should such intent be followed through, as is currently being vowed by many, I cannot foresee words or votes deciding this nation's future.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I fear that from those empty seats will rise separatist actions. And even if you don't follow through on it, by the time you win election Republicans will hate you every bit as much as you do them today. Then the playbook you use now will be escalated even further. Should such intent be followed through, as is currently being vowed by many, I cannot foresee words or votes deciding this nation's future.

Maybe conservatives should have listened for the last eight years when liberals told them that scorched earth opposition to everything was opening up a can of worms that couldn't be closed again and that what they were doing was a cancer on US government. Instead what the answer was 'if someone wants to destroy America it's not better to compromise with destroying half of America!'.

This is a pretty classic prisoner's dilemma that came as a result of Republicans shattering all norms about governance. The country would be best off if both parties stopped doing this, but now there's no reason for either party to believe that their lack of obstruction will be rewarded with similar behavior from the other side, meaning that for both parties the logical move going forward is total obstruction. Again, we tried to warn conservatives, they just didn't listen. Now they will reap what they sowed and we're all going to be worse off for it.

Shortsighted idiots.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oops they used you don't show up you lose option.

You don't actually think the Democrats in that committee give a shit, do you? The whole point of this was to show that Republicans are doing this with zero support from anyone else and keep reminding people that this is a government a majority of Americans didn't want.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Similar complaints in Congress in olden times like in the 1800's makes an interesting read. Some things stay basically the same.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
You don't actually think the Democrats in that committee give a shit, do you? The whole point of this was to show that Republicans are doing this with zero support from anyone else and keep reminding people that this is a government a majority of Americans didn't want.
So why not show up and vote no? Afraid they may not get reelected in 2018 for a no vote?

Ohhh and the US doesn't use popular vote to elect the President. Get over it!!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So why not show up and vote no? Afraid they may not get reelected in 2018 for a no vote?

Haha, I would bet a lot of money that fear of not being re-elected for voting no on a Trump appointment ranked just below 'fear of not being re-elected due to personal intervention by Santa Claus'.

I imagine they thought this sent a much stronger message of opposition than just voting no, so this was more like a double no. You will likely see Democrats searching far and wide to find new ways of signaling to the country just how shitty they think Trump is.

Feb 16, 2005

Yup, they use the electoral college, however, when the majority of citizens who did vote, voted against the current president, don't be surprised if he's not overwhelmingly crowned homecoming king.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Who cares? It's pretty telling how thin-skinned conservatives are about being reminded that they lost the popular vote, haha. Why does it bother you so much to know that he lost by millions of votes?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Tell me, when has it come to this before?
170201111307-demcorats-boycott-mnuchin-price-hearings-febraury-1-2017-large-tease.jpg

are you kidding me? Republicans blocked a presidents nomination because they didnt like the timing and now you think its on us? Fuck you. I hope they keep it at 8 until the next election. Time to play the same game you guys played for the last 8 years.

Oh and we need hearings on why that seal died and the 8 year old kid. We need hearings for the next 8 years on it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
are you kidding me? Republicans blocked a presidents nomination because they didnt like the timing and now you think its on us? Fuck you. I hope they keep it at 8 until the next election. Time to play the same game you guys played for the last 8 years.

Oh and we need hearings on why that seal died and the 8 year old kid. We need hearings for the next 8 years on it.

In the end it won't matter at least as far as the SCOTUS. Think back to 2013 and the "Nuclear Option".

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Silver lining is, maybe the filibuster will be forever gone and when the election swings back to the other direction - progressives can enact much needed change that would otherwise be impossible. I'm just not convinced we can hold it together under this much protest.