Republican Staffers Charged With 36 Counts of Election Fraud

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Just like Republicans soliciting gay sex while condemning gays, running up the deficit while blaming Obama, and taking the most entitlements while whining about it.... Republican hypocrisy at it's finest...

http://lawsonry.com/2012/09/republican-staffers-charged-with-36-counts-of-election-fraud/

This incident perfectly highlights the dirty little secret about election fraud. Election fraud overwhelmingly happens on the campaign side, not the voter side. It’s far easier – and more rewarding – to cheat while working from within the system than it is to commit in-person voter fraud. The GOP is legislating against cases of voter fraud in which a person would have to give someone else’s name at the correct polling place in order to falsely vote once; meanwhile a Republican Congressman and his staff fabricated 1,756 signatures so that he could run illegally.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
How are we supposed to put any credence in this editorial when it says the last staffer plead "not guilty"? The author is so chomping at the bit that he (?) can't even get the facts correct.

That's okay, though, because the same website purports to define "How White Men Think".

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Just like Republicans soliciting gay sex while condemning gays, running up the deficit while blaming Obama, and taking the most entitlements while whining about it.... Republican hypocrisy at it's finest...

http://lawsonry.com/2012/09/republican-staffers-charged-with-36-counts-of-election-fraud/

I've made mention of these stories a few times before and they always fall on deaf ears. Let's remember that this guy actually ran for POTUS! His screw up and sudden quit cost those of us he represented money to replace him.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...oday-in-michigans-11th-congressional-district

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
To quote the Democrats "This is Election fraud, not voter fraud, big difference"

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Is this anything like the forged signatures that got Obama on the ballot in Indiana?

Just checking to see if they are the same type of thing, so I know how much outrage I should expect from the dems.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I say we should harshly punish everyone convicted of any voter or election fraud.

Last edited:

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Some amazing sources there, lawsonry.com and wxyz.com. and here I thought dems reached rock bottom citing huffington post and salon.com. as long as the story fills a hole in your little liberal hearts, damn the source, spin, or accuracy I guess?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Some amazing sources there, lawsonry.com and wxyz.com. and here I thought dems reached rock bottom citing huffington post and salon.com. as long as the story fills a hole in your little liberal hearts, damn the source, spin, or accuracy I guess?

Are you saying this story is made up because you don't like the source? The staffers haven't really been charged?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I've been arguing the same thing for years.

Imagine, that someone who wanted to change an election could potentially pay 1000 people to illegally register, somehow pass through the election commission checks, and go out and vote. That might possibly sway a small local election. Or maybe someone could pay 1000 people to find names of legally registered voters, find their address, find their district, get to the district before the legally registered voter votes, fradulently sign the voting record ahead of the proper voter, and vote (assuming you convinced all 1000 to vote for the person you wanted), and do this in a tight election in the proper districts that actually make a difference. Again that might sway a small local election but rarely any election of any importance. It is just laughable to think that this ever has any impact. Why would anyone choose that very difficult route involving so much coordination, so much effort, so much money, and so many people that it will be highly likely that someone could blow the whistle? Sure there will always be a fradulent vote here or there, but they never amount to anything important.

Alternatively, a single person, with no coordination, almost no cost, or almost no effort at all could "lose" a few ballot boxes from your oppoent's heavier support areas and win.

Or stuff a ballot box or two. Or change one Diebold line of code. Or bribe one supreme court justice.

It is so laughably easy to falsely win an election from this inside and so nearly impossible to do it by voter fraud on the outside.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Here is a much more reputable souce. By now, I would expect people to use reputable sources - or at least include them when they put up their normal horrifically biased source. Of course, the biased source uses all the key words that make them happy, which is why they quote it, whereas the more reputable source just states the facts without the vitriol...so it is easy to see why they use the bad source.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120810/POLITICS02/208100413

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Are you saying this story is made up because you don't like the source? The staffers haven't really been charged?

Not at all. Just saying that if its that sensational, its going to get picked up by something other than wxyz.com. and if its not, more than likely more reputable news sources fact checked and either found it embellished or completely false. The mainstream media is already liberally slanted enough, that if you need to reach for what amount ultra liberal gloried blogs as your source citation, you're either trolling or completely ignorant.

As far as this story, I actually have no opinion, as I haven't read the article yet. Could read it with my eyes rolling after seeing the initial link

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

WXYZ is the ABC news affiliate in Detroit, been on the air for decades. Does the local news have a spin now? Wow are you retarded. Are you actually denying that a special election had to take place to replace McCotter who resigned after his signatures were found to be fakes/copies/forgeries and that it cost the tax payers $650K? Not sure what could possibly be the grey area here cause it clearly isn't brain matter... I'm real interested in where the liberal slant or inaccuracies are here.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
5 to 4 Bush was the biggest election fraud ever.

Well his brother or cousin or whatever handed over Florida to him which is almost always the main swing state in any given election.

Looks like it will probably be that way this time around too.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
This just strengthens the case that laws to stop voter fraud aren't directed at Democrat voter suppression, but targeted at vote fraud whatever the source. If these folks are convicted I hope they get the book thrown at them.

Good to see the typical Democrat hypocrites suddenly become concerned with vote fraud though.

Quite frankly the story is even a better example for the support of term limits.

Last edited:

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
How about the Michigan AG?

Schuette Announces First Conviction In McCotter Petition Scandal

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][COLOR=#]Contact: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Joy Yearout 517-373-8060[/SIZE][/FONT]

September 18, 2012
LANSING - Attorney General Bill Schuette today announced a former scheduler has pleaded no contest to all charges she faced concerning her involvement in former Congressman Thaddeus McCotter's petition scandal. There was no plea or sentencing agreement offered.
Lorianne O'Brady, 52, of Livonia, who worked as a scheduler to the former congressman, pleaded no contest today in Wayne County's 16th District Court before Judge Kathleen J. McCann to five counts of falsely signing a nominating petition as circulator, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail. Her sentencing hearing is scheduled for October 25, 2012 in front of Judge McCann.
"As your Attorney General, I have a duty to enforce the law and ensure public integrity," said Schuette. "After a thorough investigation, my office determined that criminal acts were committed, and the appropriate criminal charges were filed.
"Our office will continue to prosecute the remaining defendants involved in this shameful violation of the public trust."

It doesn't look good for the other staffers, either.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Well his brother or cousin or whatever handed over Florida to him which is almost always the main swing state in any given election.

Looks like it will probably be that way this time around too.

I thought it was the Democrats who could not tell the difference between Buchanan an Gore? :D