Republican security experts rail against Trump in open letter

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Susan Collins, a Republican Senator from Maine, has now gone on record as saying she won't vote for Trump.

With the passage of time, I have become increasingly dismayed by his constant stream of cruel comments and his inability to admit error or apologize. But it was his attacks directed at people who could not respond on an equal footing — either because they do not share his power or stature or because professional responsibility precluded them from engaging at such a level — that revealed Mr. Trump as unworthy of being our president.

My conclusion about Mr. Trump’s unsuitability for office is based on his disregard for the precept of treating others with respect, an idea that should transcend politics. Instead, he opts to mock the vulnerable and inflame prejudices by attacking ethnic and religious minorities...

I am also deeply concerned that Mr. Trump’s lack of self-restraint and his barrage of ill-informed comments would make an already perilous world even more so. It is reckless for a presidential candidate to publicly raise doubts about honoring treaty commitments with our allies. Mr. Trump’s tendency to lash out when challenged further escalates the possibility of disputes spinning dangerously out of control...

I revere the history of my party, most particularly the value it has always placed on the worth and dignity of the individual, and I will continue to work across the country for Republican candidates. It is because of Mr. Trump’s inability and unwillingness to honor that legacy that I am unable to support his candidacy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...1095be-5d7e-11e6-9d2f-b1a3564181a1_story.html

Reactions: MongGrel

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If you read the letter, some of the lines are absolutely devastating.

He weakens U.S. moral authority as the leader of the free world. He appears to lack basic knowledge about and belief in the U.S. Constitution, U.S. laws, and U.S. institutions, including religious tolerance, freedom of the press, and an independent judiciary.
Fraud, totalitarian, scumbag..

He persistently compliments our adversaries and threatens our allies and friends. Unlike previous Presidents who had limited experience in foreign affairs, Mr. Trump has shown no interest in educating himself. He continues to display an alarming ignorance of basic facts of contemporary international politics. Despite his lack of knowledge, Mr. Trump claims that he understands foreign affairs and “knows more about ISIS than the generals do.”
Ignorant asshole..

He is unable or unwilling to separate truth from falsehood. He does not encourage conflicting views. He lacks self-control and acts impetuously. He cannot tolerate personal criticism. He has alarmed our closest allies with his erratic behavior. All of these are dangerous qualities in an individual who aspires to be President and Commanderin-Chief, with command of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.
Psychotic idiot man-child who could bring the apocalypse...

They only missed the part where his mother was a hamster and his father smelled of elderberries.
Damn!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I misunderstood the point you were trying to convey at the time, so edited myself.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I get it now, you maybe should not jump on things so fast. Your original post seemed to be supporting him, actually.

You'd be entitled to your opinion anyway, but I had revised it.

:)

Rly? Or... are you just spoiling for a fight and jumping on the first whiff of argument?

"Devastating" and "damn!" are not typical supportive statements. Maybe I should have written "dayuum!!"?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Rly? Or... are you just spoiling for a fight and jumping on the first whiff of argument?

"Devastating" and "damn!" are not typical supportive statements. Maybe I should have written "dayuum!!"?

Apparently you are, it appears.

The only explanation I have is I mistakenly read the quotes as your comments, but I find that unlikely to begin with.

I'll apologize again.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Meh the people responsible for most of our foreign policy disasters, not to mention the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people write a letter? Should we care what they have to say?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Meh the people responsible for most of our foreign policy disasters, not to mention the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people write a letter? Should we care what they have to say?

I mean most of what they are saying is self evidently true, but you're right that anyone involved in the Bush administration at least has little authority to call anyone else out on foreign policy. There are quite a few people on there that aren't from the most recent administration though.

I think it is more interesting as a statement to how the Republican Party is trying to jettison Trump than it is to any foreign policy critique.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Do you think their comments are off base?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I mean most of what they are saying is self evidently true, but you're right that anyone involved in the Bush administration at least has little authority to call anyone else out on foreign policy. There are quite a few people on there that aren't from the most recent administration though.

I think it is more interesting as a statement to how the Republican Party is trying to jettison Trump than it is to any foreign policy critique.

It is self serving at this point. They see Trump is now going to be disastrous for the senate and house elections. Getting on their high horse about Trumps foreign policy is rather amusing. Watching one of the people who served under GWB signed his name to the letter go on about how his morality cant let Trump win was rather amusing. I was like dude you helped formulate the policy that created this entire fucking mess.

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37016680

I'm still worried he would manage to gain access to anything to do with military C&C myself.

Trump lives far too comfortable of a life to start big shit. He'd be too concerned about losing property value.
I think the more realistic concern is Trump having access to the spying networks and surveillance tools. I can easily envision him using it to get dirt on his rivals

Edit: Being honest, I doubt I'd be able to avoid the temptation to make life miserable for some of my enemies or people who have slighted me but that's why we either grow up and decide public work is more important than ego stuff.

Last edited: