- Oct 2, 2004
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Republicans voted Tuesday to kill proposals to legalize marijuana, pay for renovations at the Milwaukee Brewers' stadium and create a paid family leave program, moves that Democratic Gov.
'Legalizing marijuana, paying for renovations at the Milwaukee Brewers’ stadium and creating a paid family leave program are among the more than 500 items proposed by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers that the Legislature’s Republican-controlled budget committee plans to kill Tuesday with a single vote.
The move comes as no surprise after Republicans, who control the state Legislature with large majorities, did the same with Evers’ past two budgets and said they would do again this year....
....The state has a projected $7 billion budget surplus, money that Evers had proposed tapping to pay for a wide array of spending priorities that Republicans are killing.
Evers proposals slated to be stripped from the budget on Tuesday include:
- a 10% income tax cut targeting middle- and low-income earners
- $270 million to add more mental health providers in schools
- freezing enrollment in the state’s private school voucher program
- federal Medicaid expansion
- raising the minimum wage
- implementing automatic voter registration
- repealing the state’s 'right-to-work' law
- creating a program for workers, giving them 12 weeks of family and medical leave starting in 2025.'
I'd say they're trying to catch up to some of the other more recently extreme red states, but they started fucking over and taking power away from the current Democrat governor before he even took office a few years back (through lame duck laws at the last second). They've been trying to punish him ever since.