Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...y-counties-eat-up-most-food-stamp-growth.html

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data compiled by Bloomberg. They include Republican strongholds like King County, Texas, which in 2008 backed Republican John McCain by 92.6 percent, his largest share in the nation; and fast-growing Douglas County, Colorado.

Oh SNAP! (pun intended)

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
King County is a large farming community hurt by this summer's drought no less.

King County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 286. Its county seat is Guthrie. King County has the third smallest population of any county in the United States, ranking behind only Loving County, Texas, and Kalawao County, Hawaii.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Dems may already be at the 100% utilization point.
Up to this point, the Republicans were able to make do on their own.
But Obama has not delivered and is finally breaking them down to the point that assistance is needed.

Because Republicans are against food stamps and welfare in general. Are you stupid as fuck?

Had Obama delivered in the beginning as implied; then there would be no failures requiring assistance.
Or have the Dems leached so much that their is no room for "growth" in the states of that side.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Obama has been concerned with helping the bottom class; that he forget about the middle class that actually helps the country grow.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This article gives us insufficient evidence to be outraged.

Say a democratic county grows from having 30% SNAP participation to have 40% SNAP participation.

And a Republican County grows from have 1% participation to having 3% participation.

The Republican county would have had 200% growth OMG, while the Democrat county would have had only 33% growth. But being more outraged over the growth in the Republican county would be absurd.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Most red sates take more money from Washington than they put in.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
This article gives us insufficient evidence to be outraged.

Say a democratic county grows from having 30% SNAP participation to have 40% SNAP participation.

And a Republican County grows from have 1% participation to having 3% participation.

The Republican county would have had 200% growth OMG, while the Democrat county would have had only 33% growth. But being more outraged over the growth in the Republican county would be absurd.

but it makes for good partisan outrageo_O

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

And those same support the blue states to have an economy.

Look at where the blues get their food/water/fuel from

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Wow - Obama's economy has really hit Republican's hard. Why does he hate them so much?

The median income for a household in the county was $82,929, and the median income for a family was $88,482 (these figures had risen to $93,819 and $102,767 respectively as of a 2007 estimate[7]). Males had a median income of $60,729 versus $38,965 for females. The per capita income for the county was $34,848. About 1.6% of families and 2.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.9% of those under age 18 and 3.7% of those age 65 or over.
Douglas County had the highest median household income of any Colorado county or statistical equivalent in 2000. In 2008, it ranked #8 in the United States in that category - it was one of two in the top 15 not in the vicinity of New York or Washington.

Me thinks a game is being played with statistics. It would be vastly more clear the scope of such rapid increases when we know what the numbers of people are. If a single of family of 4 is on food stamps in 2008 but now there are 3 families of 4 you can easily proclaim that as a 200% increase in food stamp usage in Republican strongholds! and make headlines but if you use the number of those on food stamps in the area it hardly makes any political waves

Edit: I see nehalem256 has already brought up this point as well.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Because Republicans are against food stamps and welfare in general. Are you stupid as fuck?
Republicans are against food stamp and welfare abuse...is that little "nuance" really that difficult for you to grasp Mr. "stupid as fuck"?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that his point is as follows: Many republicans have criticized Obama for the increase of social welfare programs such as food stamps.

You are assuming that those on food stamps in the area are Republicans. It is completely possible, given the data provided, for those on food stamps to have voted Democratic as the majority is not 100% nor do we know the actual numbers of those on food stamps in those areas.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

I am against hand-outs by the government completely.

However if the government came to me and was going to hand me "$10,000" I wouldn't say no.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Another imaginary republican war on something contrived by desperate liberals? I think it would be more correct to say Republicans are against food stamps and welfare being a way of life rather than it being a safety net as it is supposed to be.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Republicans receive benefits?

You may think that's a cute attack, but if you're going to seize their money then they're going to apply to have it returned. If you want them to make do with what they have, then stop taking it. That's what they want, they'd rather live hungry and free than well fed and dependent on you.

Republican voters are the poor that don't want to be your slaves.

This topic reminds me of a Roman emperor handing out food for attendance at the Colosseum. You look at the poor receiving food and ask "Am I not merciful?". Forgetting of course that it was you starving them in the first place. That it was you forcing them to perform acts to be fed. That they are spiteful of the control you're exerting over them.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I've actually heard among the Republican crowd that they encourage each other to use these services. Why not if the money is just going to go down the drain anyhow? And the more that people use them, the faster the programs can go bankrupt and they can reboot the system.

Not that Liberals are any better. I've had plenty of those tell me (and have done) that they refuse to marry their wife and pop out kids. If they aren't married and the mother says they don't know who the father is, that the state will not only pay for the birth, but they will have medical assistance, food stamps, welfare, etc. While the father just works a full time job and earns a decent living.

There is bullshit on both sides. But I expect to see in an increase in the red areas.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

And most blue states have populations that in general get back more from the federal government then they send in. The reason places like California send more out to the feds than in is because of companies like Apple, Facebook, etc. Mississippi for example is a largely rural agricultural state. Yet they have the same federal mandated spending requirements (interstates, medicare, etc) as other states.... yet without the large number of wealthy taxpayers and large companies such as the numbers in California. So they tend to get more back per tax dollar sent.

So what is your point? First post fail.