Representatives don't want to be seen "working"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Best part of all this is her quote.

Nothing against her or the Democrats, but since when has our government had any sense of dignity and decorum? Perhaps in how they behaive inside the capital, but otherwise congress is a mess.

Uh, yeah, seriously. If there are two words I don't attach to our government, it's those two. Virtually every time one of our elected reps, of either party, opens their mouths I'm amazed they convinced the voters to elect them.

During the campaign they aren't using their own words. They are coached and closely controlled by trianed PR people.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
No, Bobber fett, the right wing sycophant isn't Brian Lamb... but rather those who find a way to represent continuity of their own party's policy as something to be ashamed of- Tell us, were you ashamed when your idols did the same thing?

It's kinda like putting a guy down for having a homely girlfriend- the one he stole from you....

My idols? I'm a right wing sycophant? Wow, good to know, I wasn't aware. Since you know so much about me, maybe you can enlighten me else as to what Republicans I've voted for.

I'll give you a hint. It's less than one, you dumb bastard. Don't feel bad, you're no dumber than the other leftist morons around here who assume that because I criticize Democrats that it makes me a Republican.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
This is probably because too many politicians' moronic statements have been aired on national TV. The Internet is not a dump truck, it's a series of tubes.

Many other places of employment have cameras. Congress should be no different, especially since they are public servants.
But there are still plenty of opportunities for them to do nothing, or to do sleazy things. I wish I could remember the specific event, but behind closed doors, a vote was cast for something, and at the end, there were more Republican votes counted than there were Republican voters.

I don't give a damn who's doing it, Republican or Democrat, both parties have plenty of sleazy idiots loitering around Washington.

Last I checked, Pelosi wanted to keep lobbyists off the floor, out of the gym, and (Horrors!) out of the cloakrooms, too...

The latter apparently being where cameras were really needed for the last 12 years of repub mis-rule...

The way I figure it, Pelosi must be doing something right if the rightwing sycophants are already beginning to snivel...

Whatever happened to that John Wayne "Take it like a Man" advice y'all were so fond of giving out not so long ago? Must've gone the way of fiscal conservatism and a stay at home foreign policy, huh?

Either that, or she's just trying to shoo the lobbyists off to quieter places, so they can work more efficiently (bigger payments to politicians).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"My idols? I'm a right wing sycophant? Wow, good to know, I wasn't aware. Since you know so much about me, maybe you can enlighten me else as to what Republicans I've voted for.

I'll give you a hint. It's less than one, you dumb bastard. Don't feel bad, you're no dumber than the other leftist morons around here who assume that because I criticize Democrats that it makes me a Republican."

My mistake- maybe it just makes you not old enough to vote, or simply locked in the closet of your own mind, some sort of self-styled "libertarian". Your defense of the right fringe is obvious and ongoing, your topics pretty much rightwing thinktank trollery, like this one.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck, even if the bird in question lacks the level of self-awareness to make that determination.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I can't see a single thing wrong with constant coverage of the House and Senate. It's the place that legislation gets passed or denied, that's all. It's not like representatives eat, sleep and fornicate in the area. There's no issue of privacy to hold this back.

One should also note that the British, Canadian and Australian Parliaments televise their proceedings without any restrictions on camera angle; Question Period allows the politicians to bicker back and forth freely, and the cameras capture it all. Nobody's died as a result yet.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Sounds fair to me. As long as they (lawmakers) want to keep invading our privacy and take every penny that they possibly can from us, we should have the right to see everything that is going on in there. As another poster pointed it out, this is just where they work, it has nothing to do with their personal lives.

To those of you that are blindly defending the left on this one, why? Why are you opposed to seeing what our lawmakers, the people that we vote in to office and we pay, are doing while they are at work? In my opinion this should have been done a long time ago. If this thread was started by Techs and it was the Republicans refusing this you guys would be going on and on about how horrible the Republicans are, etc...

Its hilarious to see how hypocritical all of the liberals are, now that their people are starting to take over and they blindly defend every decision made.

So again I ask those of you opposed to this, why?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I didn't much give a damn one way or another, JD50, and apparently neither did the OP, until it became an attack opportunity- Only then does it take on any importance at all...

It's Pelosi's call, and she made the same call as her predecessor. The rightwing would simply have formulated a different attack if she'd taken the other choice...

Besides that, I doubt that any House members want those occasions when they need to scratch their crotch immortalized on videotape, then looped over and over on somebody's website... Given the huge legislative backlog left by the repubs, they don't need any additional image issues introduced to the agenda- they have lots of work to do...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, you are big an apologist as the right wing has ever seen.

They don't want to be bothered because they have so much work to do? My seven year old can come up with better excuses than that. "Please don't watch me clean my room, it's so much work and having you watch me makes it that much harder." :roll:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Still trolling, BoberFett?

First, anybody defending Pelosi is a lefty shill, and now I'm a rightwing apologist? Can't have it both ways...

Or is the term "rightwing" a reference to your own perspective, an admission, some kind of Freudian slip?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Still trolling, BoberFett?

First, anybody defending Pelosi is a lefty shill, and now I'm a rightwing apologist? Can't have it both ways...

Or is the term "rightwing" a reference to your own perspective, an admission, some kind of Freudian slip?

I think he means that you are as big of an apoligist for the left as others are for the right. In the past, anyone on here that has even remotely defended anything that Bush or the Republicans have done has been labeled an apologist for the right, now you are doing that exact same thing for the left. Your reasons for not wanting this are silly, if the roles were reversed you and all the others defending this would be attacking.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Just to throw in my two cents, if the issue was not brought up, I probibly would not care about it, so in my eyes this is not that important.

Having said that, It is worrying that we cant see what the people who represent us are doing. Really why should the public be kept from seeing the proceedings of congress. Provided, what they vote on is the more important thing for us then what they say (Unless they are planning and plotting in the House).

I Don't think it is right, but I don't think this is a HUGE deal.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
So, apparently, the only place any work can be done is in the Capitol building. Reps can't work on legislation in their offices, hold important policy meetings, etc; they have to sit through every single one of their colleagues' speeches about issues that they may or may not be concerned about, so that the five people that watch CSPAN can see their faces so they can count attendance?

What kind of halfwit topic is this?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: slash196

For starters, its a much better topic then the one talking about video games and the thread blaming Republicans and America for a snow storm in Denver.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50

For starters, its a much better topic then the one talking about video games and the thread blaming Republicans and America for a snow storm in Denver.

I'd put them on the same level, actually. They're all hopelessly stupid and should really be closed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"What kind of halfwit topic is this?"

It's a troll, an attack oppportunity. No matter what Pelosi did in the situation, she'd have been "wrong".

This, and everything else coming from the wingnuts prior to the opening legislative session will simply be an effort to poison the well before Dems have their turn at it...

Basically, the Right isn't going to pass up any opportunity to embarrass themselves further, even though they don't, can't, see that...

Which is just as well. As this legislative session unfolds, more of the same should continuously remind voters just how petty and incompetent they've been all along...

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
It's a troll, an attack oppportunity. No matter what Bush did in the situation, he'd have been "wrong".

That describes just about 90% of threads posted here.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
So, apparently, the only place any work can be done is in the Capitol building. Reps can't work on legislation in their offices, hold important policy meetings, etc; they have to sit through every single one of their colleagues' speeches about issues that they may or may not be concerned about, so that the five people that watch CSPAN can see their faces so they can count attendance?

So if all of the important policy work and meetings can't be captured, none at all should - even though the cameras are already there and recording? Brilliant logic.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Apparently Nancy Pelosi doesn't think that her employers (us) should be able to see what our employees (them) are up to while they're working.

Democrats. :roll: Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss. "Dignity and decorum" my ass. They're worried about the fact that if cameras were constantly focused on the empty seats and napping during work hours, their bosses would start firing the worthless, lazy bums.

Bahahahahahaha :laugh:

Poor Republicans, I love what they are reduced to squabbling over.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50
Sounds fair to me. As long as they (lawmakers) want to keep invading our privacy and take every penny that they possibly can from us, we should have the right to see everything that is going on in there. As another poster pointed it out, this is just where they work, it has nothing to do with their personal lives.

To those of you that are blindly defending the left on this one, why? Why are you opposed to seeing what our lawmakers, the people that we vote in to office and we pay, are doing while they are at work? In my opinion this should have been done a long time ago. If this thread was started by Techs and it was the Republicans refusing this you guys would be going on and on about how horrible the Republicans are, etc...

Its hilarious to see how hypocritical all of the liberals are, now that their people are starting to take over and they blindly defend every decision made.

So again I ask those of you opposed to this, why?

It would be nice to see what Bush is doing when sitting in the oval office.
We voted him into office and we pay his salary.

Are you in support of that or you oppose it, and if you oppose why?