Question Replacing Verizon FIOS with Google Nest Wifi AC2200

Bananas76

Nov 5, 2021
I have googled how to replace the verizon router with a Google nest wifi system, but have read many conflicting instructions. I want to remove the FIOS router (and not pay a monthly fee anymore) and use (2) Google Nest wifi points.

Below is my setup:

- I have Verizon FIOS TV, internet and phone
- My Verizon ONT is in the basement.
- Want to install (1) Google nest in my 1st floor office via an ethernet wall port
- Want to install (1) Google nest on the 2nd floor via ethernet wall port.

Can someone explain the setup, step by step? Maybe a setup diagram? Do I need additional equipment?

Thanks you!!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The following link should have the info you need.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
"If you have Verizon Internet and TV, it is still possible to use your own router, however you’ll have to follow some additional steps, and you will be required to keep the Verizon router"

Some of the TV system function of the internal circuit of the Verizon Router and are Not available To the TV if the device is out of the circuit.

I use my own Asus Wireless Router on a Giga FIOS system. However the original Router that was installed by Verizon is plugged into one of the ports of the Asus Router.

:cool:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
"If you have Verizon Internet and TV, it is still possible to use your own router, however you’ll have to follow some additional steps, and you will be required to keep the Verizon router"

Some of the TV system function of the internal circuit of the Verizon Router and are Not available To the TV if the device is out of the circuit.

I use my own Asus Wireless Router on a Giga FIOS system. However the original Router that was installed by Verizon is plugged into one of the ports of the Asus Router.

:cool:

I have my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro connected without using my Verizon router. Internet worked right away, but I had to get a Moca adapter so my set top box could get the guide data. I could have used my Verizon router to get the guide data, but wanted it gone to remove possible issues with my wife.

Feb 4, 2009
I have my Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro connected without using my Verizon router. Internet worked right away, but I had to get a Moca adapter so my set top box could get the guide data. I could have used my Verizon router to get the guide data, but wanted it gone to remove possible issues with my wife.

Hmmm, I am intrigued and I know Wife issues can be challenging to define.
What was the issue with your wife & the VZ router?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Hmmm, I am intrigued and I know Wife issues can be challenging to define.
What was the issue with your wife & the VZ router?
I might just be paranoid, but I figured better safe than sorry. She has what I call ocd tendencies, and I had visions of her unplugging things just to make it look neater.