Replacing TV and need advice

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I've a Samsung QN65Q9F (the 2018 QLED 65 inch TV) and it's dying. I've a warranty on it, so it's not all bad. I've been given a choice between some TVs and I'm scratching my head at what's worth it vs what I should just accept..

My options..

Free swap -- 2019 QN65Q90RA.. same TV I have only a year newer

$300 a 2020 QN65Q90TA

$380 a 2019 8K Samsung QLED TV QN65Q900

$1200 a 2020 8K Samsung QLED. QN65Q800T

I've liked the TV I have well enough. It's a bummer it started getting patches of darkening on it. Is 8K worth the price of admission? I'm not aware of anything that would really drive it, but it *might* be future proof..? I'm currently driving what I have with a Xbox One X and DirecTV (one day someone will explain the need to have 2 boxes for 4K.. that's not really 4k). The guy I'm working with at the shop tells me that the 8K TV upscales stuff... but I'm not sure how true that is, or how well it works. I've till Weds to make my choice.. I keep going round and round on TV hype as I look around. I figured I'd ask here as I've gotten good advice before..

Thanks in advance..
Edit: Added the model numbers I was given

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I would need the model numbers of the sets you are considering, as they are almost certain to be different from your 2018 set.
Your shop guy is correct on the 8k. As there is very little 8k programming, the 8k set would upscale just about everything.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
So you bought an overpriced Samsung, it died in less than two years and you're thinking of getting a more expensive Samsung? My advice: stop being influenced by commercials....

Reactions: Sgt. York

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
So you bought an overpriced Samsung, it died in less than two years and you're thinking of getting a more expensive Samsung? My advice: stop being influenced by commercials....

While I did buy and overpriced Samsung, and it did die, I'm sure I had a defective unit. Others I know have the same TV and have no issues. As the options are these three TVs. I've no other option to switch over to some other brand that I've been made aware of, and it's better than just chucking it and overspending on a different TV's brand.

I'm trying to figure out if I should pay more for a possibly better TV. I'm not planning on the last really overly priced option unless someone says it's some game changer that makes the price worth it. The question really comes down to (unless there's a game changer I'm unaware of) is the $400 (both of the other two options would be there after tax and whatnot) worth the bother? As I said all I'm running into was commercials, and that's why I'm asking here.

Reactions: eikelbijter

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I would need the model numbers of the sets you are considering, as they are almost certain to be different from your 2018 set.
Your shop guy is correct on the 8k. As there is very little 8k programming, the 8k set would upscale just about everything.

I was able to get the model numbers and have updated the post

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
While I did buy and overpriced Samsung, and it did die, I'm sure I had a defective unit. Others I know have the same TV and have no issues. As the options are these three TVs. I've no other option to switch over to some other brand that I've been made aware of, and it's better than just chucking it and overspending on a different TV's brand.

I'm trying to figure out if I should pay more for a possibly better TV. I'm not planning on the last really overly priced option unless someone says it's some game changer that makes the price worth it. The question really comes down to (unless there's a game changer I'm unaware of) is the $400 (both of the other two options would be there after tax and whatnot) worth the bother? As I said all I'm running into was commercials, and that's why I'm asking here.
My neighbor is a total brand whore, HAD to buy a Samsung, when I got my 50" 4K LG. He paid MORE for his TV, and picture is worse, but more importantly, LG software is far superior in my opinion...

R