Replacing the fan on an old Geforce?

Nataraj42

Jun 26, 2002

I was looking at the www.thermaltake.com web site and the crystal and blue orbs in particular, but both specify that they are for the GF2 series and up. I still have an old GF1 (DDR) card in this system with a fan that is running sub-optimally.

I understand that I'll likely have a bit of fun removing the old fan housing off of the card (freezing in a zip lock, etc.), but can anyone recommend a fan that will fit onto this card? I checked on the creative web site, and it doesn't list the size of the default fan in its specs.

Much appreciated,

whiteboyatcal

Jul 1, 2002
Hi,

You probably don't need to freeze the card to get the heatsink off, and I don't recommend you do it since the thermal stress might hurt it. Instead, try a small strip of dental floss to "get under" the old heatsink. Then grab both ends of the floss, with the middle of the floss under the heatsink, and pull up gradually, twisting a bit. I have used the blue orb successfully with old geforces and they even allow a bit of overclocking. Don't get the crystalorb, since there are some reliability issues with it. Just use some double-sided thermal tape (comes with blue orb) to permanently affix the fan to the card. This is the easy way, since the card doesn't generate much heat.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
whiteboyatcal, and nataraj42:

Great advice, but I highly suggest against using thermal tape, Go with some thermal paste instead, and to make it "stick", If there are no clips, I suggest a little dab of epoxy.

I suggest you check out this thread, I have made earlier, Got some good advice there.

BTW, Both of you, welcome to Anandtech :)

Good luck.
Actaeon

Nataraj42

Jun 26, 2002

Just wanted to pass on my thanks to whiteboyatcal and actaeon. Separating the fan from the graphics card took a little while (I suppose I was being a bit tender with it), and to my delight I discovered that my board did indeed have sufficiently large push-pin holes. So, a little of the thermal grease, a couple of pushes, and I was in. And I am still talking about the graphics card. :)

Thanks again.

Nat