Replacing RAID 1 Hard disks with a single SSD

Randybob01

Apr 8, 2010
I'm assisting a family member with either an upgrade of his current machine, or the purchase of a new one. He purchased a desktop a few years ago with two 2TB hard disks in RAID 1 running off of the Intel DH77KC motherboard, using both SATA 6.0 GB/s slots. This is the boot disk. Windows 7 is on it, and it has been infected multiple times, and no longer updates properly. He wants to run Windows 10, and if he's going to use that, I'm thinking a clean install rather than an upgrade would serve him better. He's willing to purchase a new machine, but I'd like to see if we can get away with adding an SSD and using the RAID array for general storage (he's just going to do word processing and web browsing on it). UEFI is not enabled. I've added SSDs to desktops before, but not one using a RAID, let alone with the boot drive also being on the RAID. Is there anything else I need to look out for in these circumstances? (As for disk space, he's just using 200-some GB.) Will moving one or both of the RAID disks to the SATA 3.0 GB/s slots cause extra problems?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Use bootable cloneware to clone the RAID array to a single drive. The answer to your last question depends on what kind of RAID array it is.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Is there any files he wants to keep? If not just format the two drives, move one off to sata 2 port and done.

If not boot with a rescue cd (linux preferred) then copy the files he still needs to external hdd.