Replacing power supply in old dell

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
im looking to get a new power supply for my dell e510 desktop

its a good old desktop that i like to keep around only has one problem and thats the bootup amberlight issue that alot of these dells have

for the most part people fix it with a new power supply so im going to try that first

these are my specs

Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 90nm Technology

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2

256MB ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (ATI)

2 internal drive 1tb and 500gb

im looking at these as of now

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W

CORSAIR CX430M 430W

SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W

CORSAIR CX500M 500W

SeaSonic M12II 520

CORSAIR CX600M 600W

so out of those what would you choose or would you recommend something else..i prefer modular

max347

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2007
Honestly I don't think you need to spend that much. I would buy one of these and be done with it-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139049

I had the original CX400 and bitcoin mined a 5870 on it 24/7 and it was rock solid.

The only thing I would say is make sure to measure your current PSU before buying a new one, I cannot confirm that that specific Dell case uses a standard ATX psu.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've had to replace the PSU on my old Dell 5150, I don't believe it's an ATX... and there isn't enough room for anything bigger than what's there, that's for sure. Definitely check before you buy!

You definitely don't need anything bigger than a 400-430w PSU, and why modular? The CX430 (non-modular) is a very good unit and can be had for as little as $25 or so on sale. I have one in my HTPC and I think I only have one cable unused... so it wouldn't have made any sense in my case to go modular.

iamloco724

Nov 16, 2011
I've had to replace the PSU on my old Dell 5150, I don't believe it's an ATX... and there isn't enough room for anything bigger than what's there, that's for sure. Definitely check before you buy!

You definitely don't need anything bigger than a 400-430w PSU, and why modular? The CX430 (non-modular) is a very good unit and can be had for as little as $25 or so on sale. I have one in my HTPC and I think I only have one cable unused... so it wouldn't have made any sense in my case to go modular.

pretty sure i wont need all the cables

and many people that have done it on there forum says any standard atx should fit

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
I actually have 2 power supplies, one from a dell E510, the other from a similar dell.

They're mostly ATX. The mounting holes on the back match the ATX hole spacing. Unfortunately, the dell PSUs are just slightly taller than standard ATX, probably because dell just wanted to piss me off.

Anyway, I don't see a problem using a standard ATX supply in a dell, but using the dell in a standard ATX might be tough if you have a lip or a rail that the PSU mounts on that restricts the height. I know nothing of the electronics of it, but it should be standard ATX 24pin + 4.

If you want one of my dell PSUs, I'd sell it dirt cheap but with shipping its probably a better idea to just get one of the corsair builder series with a rebate.

lucaswhite

Banned
Feb 14, 2013
Honestly I don't think you need to spend that much. I would buy one of these and be done with it-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139049

I had the original CX400 and bitcoin mined a 5870 on it 24/7 and it was rock solid.

The only thing I would say is make sure to measure your current PSU before buying a new one, I cannot confirm that that specific Dell case uses a standard ATX psu.

Yeah, if the computer is not new. Just get a practical one.