Question Replacing Nvidia shield Tablet

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
What current cpu and gpu in tables are equivalent to what was in the old Nvidia shield tablets? I have one that is having charging issues. I think the usb port may be going bad on it. So, I am looking to replace it. It is just used for mobile games and youtube. It is not used for streaming games to it. Nor are any of the games really graphically intense. I just don't want to get something slower and my knowledge of mobile cpu's and gpu's isn't where my desktop knowledge is.

If you have tablet recommendations I am looking for $200 or less as that is what I paid for the shield when it came out. It must also support an SD slot so Android can expand its space for apps to it.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
if you have down time why not just fix the port? (if you dont want to do it you can call 6 places that might be able to for you.. maybe even order the part yourself to save time)

im not sure what would be close to that gpu power for 200$. Im interested into what you will pick for your next as i have been buying and giving away 80-100$ firetablets 10" newest version but if something is way better for 200 id get one..

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
The gpu seems very powerful considering its age. But, it isn't used for for any fancy games like Fortnight or anything. Think more Clash Royal. So, a slower gpu should be OK. Just not really wanting a slower cpu as that would make the tablet slower overall.

Any clue what it would cost to have a micro usb port replaced on a tablet? I can not do it, so I would have to find and pay a shop to do it.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
We also have Shield Tablet in the household. I assume you already tried a new cable correct? You also checked the port for crud or lint right? Is the charge port loose or rattly? Try a local mall to see if a they have any booths or shops that will swap in a new connector. Maybe it will be cheaper than you think to fix.

Not looking forward to when ours dies. It's been a trusty little powerhouse for years. Great purchase.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Tablet will not charge at all now. I can get the charge symbol sometimes, but the battery will not charge enough to even turn on.

Getting a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) to replace it.