Replacing HTPC with PlexDVR and Shield - anyone done it?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looking at all the hoops I'd have to jump through to get working UHD playback on my HTPC, I'm thinking sticking with my XBox One S is probably the way to go.

I'm currently running a Windows 7 HTPC with a Ceton cablecard tuner. Ceton is a dead company at this point, so I'd have to replace it with an HDHomeRun for DVR functionality.

Has anyone else made the shift? I've already off-loaded all of my streaming and disk playback from the HTPC; all it's used for at this point is for DVR functionality.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Looking at all the hoops I'd have to jump through to get working UHD playback on my HTPC, I'm thinking sticking with my XBox One S is probably the way to go.

I'm currently running a Windows 7 HTPC with a Ceton cablecard tuner. Ceton is a dead company at this point, so I'd have to replace it with an HDHomeRun for DVR functionality.

Has anyone else made the shift? I've already off-loaded all of my streaming and disk playback from the HTPC; all it's used for at this point is for DVR functionality.

Not with Nvidia Shield but successfully using Plex Live TV/DVR with hdhomerun

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do you like the interface? How does it compare to MCE? And, most importantly, what's the significant-other approval factor? :D ;)

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Do you like the interface? How does it compare to MCE? And, most importantly, what's the significant-other approval factor? :D ;)
Its not Windows Media Center. I don't like not having a grid based guide but I've come to accept its not going to happen. Its still in beta so not sure if this is a permanent issue, but right now only the server owner can set recordings. I use managed accounts for my kids and wife and even though she doesn't have restrictions like they do she can't schedule recordings. So they just ask me if something needs to be recorded. We are OTA only though so it mostly used for sports so I'm not a heavy user. Overall wife is happy to have the solution and it is nice how it drops the recording right into a plex library for easy viewing.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm having a hard time finding info on their website, may be due to the fact that it's in beta.

Can you set series recordings? The one bummer is that I'll either have to settle for 3 tuners or pay for another CableCard to equal the 6 tuners I have now.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'm having a hard time finding info on their website, may be due to the fact that it's in beta.

Can you set series recordings? The one bummer is that I'll either have to settle for 3 tuners or pay for another CableCard to equal the 6 tuners I have now.
yes you can record series. It is a plex pass feature while in beta so you would need that to use the feature. I don't believe they have DRM'd channel support yet but don't quote me on that. The other option to look into is silicondust (maker of hdhomerun) has their own DVR solution they have been working on for a couple years now. They are much slower in rolling out updates than plex is but i know they have cablecard DRM solution in the works. Plex's interface is nicer IMO, but not even sure they have DRM channels on the roadmap at this point.

Theres good info on the feature in Plex Forums, but you can only see the forum for DVR if you have plex pass

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I am "doing it" right now. I honestly am using Plex more for media playback (BD/DVD collection, Music, Pictures), since I prefer my 4 tuner Tablo for DVR Duty over where Plex DVR is at the moment, and using Google Live Channels for Live TV due to my preference for the "Grid" interface.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am "doing it" right now. I honestly am using Plex more for media playback (BD/DVD collection, Music, Pictures), since I prefer my 4 tuner Tablo for DVR Duty over where Plex DVR is at the moment, and using Google Live Channels for Live TV due to my preference for the "Grid" interface.

Yeah, antenna would open up a lot more options for me. Kind of stuck with cable for the time being, unfortunately.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
Yeah, antenna would open up a lot more options for me. Kind of stuck with cable for the time being, unfortunately.
HDHomeRun has a beta DVR that does DRM on select platforms (Windows 10 and XBox One last I checked), they are working to expand DRM support, but progress has been slow.
Plex DVR has support only for channels that are CCI-CF("Copy Freely", commonly referred to as non-DRM channels) and OTA.

The Google Live channels app definitely works for CCI-CF and OTA, and I have no idea if CCI-CO(Copy-once, commonly referred to as DRM) channels will play- I know that CCI-CO channels did not work on the google live channels app when I changed over to OTA.

(I specify CCI flags because even the copy freely stuff is technically DRM protected, just with the least restrictive protections)

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I switched from MCE machines at each TV to a shield and Rpi3 running Kodi. Both pull content from a Win8.1 server with 4 off-air tuners. It works great. I would never go back to full computers at the end points. Its just too annoying to keep running. The Kodi machines are essentially zero maintenance.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, we still have two Win 7 WMC-enabled systems with 2x HDHR' triple-tuner jobs on the LAN. I'm working with HDHR-DVR on a Win 10 system to eventually switch over. My problem with KODI, NextPVR and Media-Portal was inability to view or record encrypted premiums. At least with the Silly-dust software, I can VIEW premiums and record things like CNN, MSNBC, possibly USA.

I never bought an XBOX because my gaming interests are not as full-blown as those of more avid mainstreamers. I never got NVidia Shield because I couldn't see how I needed it. All of those things may be good, but there's a limited budget and the challenge of seeing how I can do all with desktops and the Silly-Dust tuners I bought some time ago.