replacing HD4850

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vertibird

Oct 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Barfo
I don't see the 5770 as a worthy replacement for a 4850, performance wise. I'm waiting for the 5850 to drop a bit in price to get one, now that's a performance improvement and while it draws more power under load, at idle, which will be most of the time for most users, it draws less than a 4850.

Why would ATI sell a card that is twice as powerful as another ATI card for the same price?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Vertibird
I don't see the 5770 as a worthy replacement for a 4850, performance wise. I'm waiting for the 5850 to drop a bit in price to get one, now that's a performance improvement and while it draws more power under load, at idle, which will be most of the time for most users, it draws less than a 4850.

Why would ATI sell a card that is twice as powerful as another ATI card for the same price?

Huh? I never said that.

Vertibird

Oct 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Vertibird

Huh? I never said that.

My bad, I was getting 5770 mixed up with 5750.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

The OP wants a card that is at least on par with the 4850's performance but has better power/heat/noise characteristics, something any 5700 will meet the criteria of in every way.

That being said, the 5770 would be slightly overkill when a less expensive 5750 will do the job of a 4850 for less.

Of course your needs are different from the OPs as you obviously want significantly better performance from the upgrade. Something we have in common as I decided to go with a 5850 as well.