Question Replacing (CPU FAN ONLY) on Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
I am wanting to replace the CPU FAN (just the FAN - not heat sink nor the CPU itself) on my Dell Optiplex 7020 SFF.

Is there a way to remove only the FAN without also removing the heat sink ?

And if the heat sink must also be removed, is it necessary to remove and then replace CPU thermal compound on this CPU ?

Instructions are given here on approx. page 27 but it does not make all of this exactly clear.

Thanks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The fan should have 4 screws holding it down. The HSF looks a lot like the one in my Acer SMF system.

Did the fan die? Do you have a replacement fan for it?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The guide isn't trying to tell you how to replace the fan only the whole assembly. You need to comfirm how the fan is attached. That said it looks like it screws directly into the HS through the four corner screws (not the ones holding the HSF to the board like the diagram covers). Should be able to just unscrew and pull off. But yes if pulling the HSF was needed I would reapply thermal compound. Heck at this point I might anyways. That stuff that most desktop units use can become like dirt under so many hot and cold cycles and lose its effectiveness.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
The guide isn't trying to tell you how to replace the fan only the whole assembly. You need to comfirm how the fan is attached. That said it looks like it screws directly into the HS through the four corner screws (not the ones holding the HSF to the board like the diagram covers). Should be able to just unscrew and pull off. But yes if pulling the HSF was needed I would reapply thermal compound. Heck at this point I might anyways. That stuff that most desktop units use can become like dirt under so many hot and cold cycles and lose its effectiveness.

Was just wondering why it does not show or mention reapplying the thermal compound. Thanks.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Was just wondering why it does not show or mention reapplying the thermal compound. Thanks.
Because you are expected if you are removing the HSF as part of service to be using a OEM repair part, hell I bet in these scenarios they won't let a CPU to be replaced without replacing the cooler since it has to come of, is relatively cheap and can be a large reason for an issue. The replacement cooler would already have a pad on it.

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Because you are expected if you are removing the HSF as part of service to be using a OEM repair part, hell I bet in these scenarios they won't let a CPU to be replaced without replacing the cooler since it has to come of, is relatively cheap and can be a large reason for an issue. The replacement cooler would already have a pad on it.
As someone who used to do on-site service repairs for Dell for many many years, the CPU comes with a thermal compund seringe, so they don't send the heatsink unless its part of the diagnostic issue. And yes the coolers come with pad pre-applied.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Sorry, but upon further analysis seems that the noise problem is from the fan unit on the Dell/AMD Radeon HD8490 video graphics card.

Anyone know where I could purchase just the complete plastic housing unit and the integrated fan for an AMD 8490 graphics card ? The unit (black box) apparently just screws into the side of the card and then receives power from the card itself.

The number on the part is listed as 71219811HOG

I can find the complete card but so far can not seem to find just the fan unit.

Attempted to contact AMD but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Sorry, but upon further analysis seems that the noise problem is from the fan unit on the Dell/AMD Radeon HD8490 video graphics card.

Anyone know where I could purchase just the complete plastic housing unit and the integrated fan for an AMD 8490 graphics card ? The unit (black box) apparently just screws into the side of the card and then receives power from the card itself.

The number on the part is listed as 71219811HOG

I can find the complete card but so far can not seem to find just the fan unit.

Attempted to contact AMD but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks.

You can get a used card on ebay for $10 shipped.