Replacing Car Programming Head Unit

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
You usually retain the stock head unit in those situations. Sometimes they have additional rca you can take advantage of for amp(s). I've seen SPDIF hacks and other splicing into preamp outputs from factory units. Sometimes adapters are available as well.

Often if you go to your cars enthusiast site there will be an audio section with a couple guys who know all the tricks and hacks.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You may not be able to. Do some searching to get a definite answer.

As time progresses, I think this will become the rule---cannot replace the head unit due to massive integration with the vehicle's onboard systems. Kinda makes one wonder about the viability and longevity of aftermarket head units for new vehicles.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Now that automakers are finally integrating systems that provide more aftermarket type functionality I agree it is only a matter of time until the aftermarket headunit goes away. As long as the factory system sounds decent I'm not really torn up about it. The stock system in our Forester is actually pretty serviceable. Folks on the forum figured out the hidden menu to defeat the EQ (able to set it to flat). So combine that with a small amp and better speakers and I have no complaints.