Question Replacement fans for a Gigabyte 1080

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Should have a 3 year warranty, is it still covered by that?

Otherwise I can't see what the 'sink looks like, odds are you can only get a matching shroud with the 100mm fans or else you will be strapping on 92mm x 10-15mm box fans, with wire ties, or a custom DIY shroud that you attach to the card or directly to the 'sink if it can bear the weight. If there is room under the card, an additional empty slot/space, you might be able to use 2, 92mm x 25mm instead of three thinner fans to achieve same or even better airflow, depends on the heatsink layout.

I assume you let it go until the fans wrecked themselves? If they aren't too far gone then you can often just put a drop of oil in the bearing. It is better to do this before they ever act up, to avoid excessive wear.

It's a shame that with all the advancements that video cards have made, they are still susceptible to the humble fan, being crap quality, when fan tech has been well known for many decades.

Reactions: Malogeek

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Should have a 3 year warranty, is it still covered by that?
I don't believe so. I got it off eBay in September 2018 so even if it's transferable, I wasn't able to get the original bill of sale anyway.

I assume you let it go until the fans wrecked themselves? If they aren't too far gone then you can often just put a drop of oil in the bearing. It is better to do this before they ever act up, to avoid excessive wear.
Two of the fans are running great, the 3rd (towards the back) spins up and down constantly when it's under load, causing a vibration sound every 5 seconds. Doesn't seem to be seized. The card is still effectively cooled and even when maxing it out rendering or benchmarking it's at 60c highest.

Tonight I had a scare where I updated Nvidia drivers and the graphics went wacky, causing screen blackouts and horizontal distortions. After re--seating and going back several versions in drivers, I'm seemingly stable again. I'm worried the VRAM isn't being cooled effectively due to the fan but it's a monstrous heat sink with good case air flow.

Mostly I want to just get the fan working again to get rid of the annoying noise and restore it to full working order. I've never tried to fix a fan before though.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Might not be that simple, your fans could be stated as size from some approximation of what the measurement would be of the frame of a box fan taking the same size blade assembly as on your custom fans, or just the diameter of the frame it is, or did the 100mm spec come from your direct measurement of one or the other? An 88mm blade assembly is too big to fit in a standard 92mm box fan frame, not by much, but enough that it wouldn't fit if the 88mm is an accurate blade diameter.

The Amazon product could be stating the measurement of the blade assembly itself instead of the size frame it goes in, or the heatsink recess if designed that way.

That design factor could be important. Some fans have a hub that screws to the heatsink, while others are suspended by the shroud itself and have blades curved (convex vs concave) the opposite direction.