Replacement charger?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've gotten a phone that's new but from a different region so its East Asian charger would need an adapter any time I want to use it.
Can I just buy anything that will give me the 21W USB PD 3.0 QuickCharge? Even the original charger Sony provides is only 18W.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think they all use USB connectors, so the standard current will be 2.1 or 3.0 amps, right? The charging circuits will usually detect what's coming in too and try to negotiate charging speed to protect the battery (hopefully)

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I think they all use USB connectors, so the standard current will be 2.1 or 3.0 amps, right? The charging circuits will usually detect what's coming in too and try to negotiate charging speed to protect the battery (hopefully)
Ok, so are you saying that I COULD buy any 21W charger and be fine?

Sent from my XQ-AS72 using Tapatalk

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Ok, so are you saying that I COULD buy any 21W charger and be fine?

Sent from my XQ-AS72 using Tapatalk
I was actually way off. It's actually .5 amps and .9 amps depending on if you're using USB 2.0 or USB 3.0...

But yeah....you can always try another charger and see how well it works. With DC transformers you just always want to match amperage and polarity. I don't think polarity matters with USB because they are following the standard.

Even if you go with a lower wattage charger, it may still work....it'll just charge slower.

Reactions: tinpanalley