Replaced faulty msi tf3 7950

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
Replaced msi tf3 7950 because it was giving me artifacting and heat problems. a minute into msi combustor in windowed mode and it was in the 80c's. This one at about 3 minutes gives 53c. Will have to test further, though, because the other one I returned took a few days to show increase in heat.
Old one gave me artifacts in unigine heaven right off the bat and got worse over time. This one has none yet. Old one had asic score of 113%. This one is 88%, but I'm not too sure if I should be caring about the asic score that much. Does anyone know how important asic score is?
VERY pleased with fry's return. For future references, try to get a FEMALE AND OLDER employee. They tend to not know anything about cards... I had no cables in the box because I forget them and she still took it... No CD's or manuals and she still took it... She was supposed to take back the norton antivirus i got with the graphics card... NOPE! Will post back again later with more results... I'm one happy AMD customer and I would not go to Nvidia, simply becaused they seem so over-priced, and I'm guessing some of the reasoning behind that is due to 'PhysX', which most games don't have anyways... At least not many as of now. Even then, you could just disable the PhysX with not much of a difference.

Just posting my experience.
Also, it's 8+6pin so I'm guessing its the 7970 PCB, same as the last one I got.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Frys is a awesome store,the one i went into was basically my second home as all the employees knew me by name and when i came in,i had all of them greeting me by name when i came in which was cool and when i went to the mobo department,i would have this one guy carrying on a conversation for like a hour sometimes lol.

Was a nervous wreck buying stuff for this new build off newegg as i never did it before and i am used to getting failed parts and just driving on back to frys for a exchange and going from having a failed part to a even exchange to having the new part in my tower usually in under 2 hours.:p

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
They're awesome, but most of the time also overpriced vs newegg, and no special deals such as 3 free games - but for the impatient, they're perfect. (me=impatient) was also my first build as well.

NZXT PHANTOM 410(I REGRET - Wish I got the HAF XM, looks so beastly)
MSI GD65-Z77 1155 MOBO (Frys:150 vs Newegg:130)
MSI TF3 7950 (Frys:330 vs Newegg: 309 + 3games)
Antec 750W
8GB RAM Low Profile(39.99) corsair vengeance
V6 GT CPU HEATSINK (Frys:59.99 vs Newegg:36.99)
120GB SSD Corsair Force(Frys: 113 open-box vs Newegg:79.99)
1TB HDD Western Digital Caviar Green (I know it's green but they were out of blacks for 79.99)

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Yeah i can sometimes be a little impatient as well,if my psu or my hard drive or by chance the fan on my cpu cooler failed,the only store i have here as i moved away from the town that had frys is a small mom and pop pc shop or best buy and i would replace those items at those stores over ordering online.

Got one computer,i don't got cable as honestly i'm a gaming junkie/netflix freak and if i had even a days time down,i would go batsh1t crazy so in most cases i would get the essentials like a psu or hard drive at best buy over waiting like 3 days for a order,then hope it isn't doa then wait some more lol.

lilvaratep

Nov 19, 2012
New card max temp after 2 hours of diablo 3: 51c. Old card: 65-70.

ah. I use netflix as well, but it seems like there's no good movies on. Watched merlin, walking dead, all the cartoons because I love cartoons, and action, and yeah. The rest all seem classic movies or just B-Grade.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The tf3 cards are awesome,i have a 7850 version and with a 50% set fan speed and 2 fans in my antec 300 case on medium rpm,i rarely touch 60cel load temps,unless my ambient temps are high but typically i'm in the 45-55 cel area depending on gpu load.

Modded the top stock 140mm fan and i installed it where the hard drives go via zip ties and put the front stock 120mm in the rear and that helped out tons.

Watch the movie"Rubber" if you wanna torture yourself with a netflix selection,i'm not kidding you when i say its the worst film of all time and i would prefer people watch this 5 times back to back over getting the death penalty,it is that bad.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Give it maybe 15 mins maybe and you will be pulling your hair out.

Hell you might even hate me for even telling you about this film.