Replace Water Pump with Timing Belt?

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
How often does a water pump fail?

I have a 2004 Camry V6 3.0L at 109,000 miles. I'm replacing the timing belts on it, which will cost $300. The auto shops recommend replacing the water pump for an additional $200 since replacing the timing belts will give easy access to the pump. Should I do it? If water pumps dont' fail often, I would take the risk.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
All depends on where water pump is located. If as the shop says, it is easy to get while doing the timing belt, then it is worth the extra parts cost to save on the labor later on if the pump does fail. It would be akin to changing the timing belt without changing the belt tensioner. Cheaper to add the extra few dollars now and be sure of the repairs.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Most people usually replace the water pump when replacing the timing belt. It's good insurance.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, this is one case where the suggestion is a good one and not an attempt to rob you.

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
Yes, have it changed since it's not a piece of cake to do on the V6. The price you were given would seem to be in the ballpark.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It's only $300 for a timing belt job on a camry ? At that point it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle for me to DIY. Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
The water pump went on my sisters car mid November and kindly took the timing belt with it. She now has a new car :)

crosshairs

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2007
Originally posted by: halik
Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200

Bad idea IMO....put a new pump in it....its not worth the risk with a cheap rebuilt...
if you save $50.00 off the price of a new pump, and it fails..it takes your timing belt and possibly your engine with it...this is not the place to try and save money ..

Also if the pump you supply goes bad in 2 weeks, you pay again....let them supply the pump, you don't bring your own eggs to the diner do you?

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: crosshairs
Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200

Bad idea IMO....put a new pump in it....its not worth the risk with a cheap rebuilt...
if you save $50.00 off the price of a new pump, and it fails..it takes your timing belt and possibly your engine with it...this is not the place to try and save money ..

Also if the pump you supply goes bad in 2 weeks, you pay again....let them supply the pump, you don't bring your own eggs to the diner do you?

I personally have never had a problem with a rebuilt pump. I just made sure that the propeller was metal not the cheaper plastic.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

That and if you did bring your own pump, no way the mechanic would warranty it.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

That and if you did bring your own pump, no way the mechanic would warranty it.

Mine will warranty parts that I bring if it's from a brand he recommends. No name brand = no warranty.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Yes, this is one case where the suggestion is a good one and not an attempt to rob you.

Agreed. Kind of like replacing the throw out bearing when doing a clutch job on a car with manual transmission.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I didn't replace the water pump the first time I changed the belt on my old 91 Accord.

That proved to be a costly mistake just 25,000 miles later.

Do the whole "shebang."

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
The labor to do a timing belt on a Toyota 3.0L V6 is much less than a Honda V6. In addition, the Toyota V6 water pumps (unlike the ones in their 4-cylinder engines) have been very reliable. My friend's dad has over 300k on his original water pump in his Sienna. So, while I normally say that replacing the water pump is a must with a timing belt change, in this case I would probably skip it.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: thecritic
The labor to do a timing belt on a Toyota 3.0L V6 is much less than a Honda V6. In addition, the Toyota V6 water pumps (unlike the ones in their 4-cylinder engines) have been very reliable. My friend's dad has over 300k on his original water pump in his Sienna. So, while I normally say that replacing the water pump is a must with a timing belt change, in this case I would probably skip it.

If it's comparatively cheap and a broken one would leave you stranded and possibly cause permanent damage to your engine, why would you NOT replace it on schedule?

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: thecritic

If it's comparatively cheap and a broken one would leave you stranded and possibly cause permanent damage to your engine, why would you NOT replace it on schedule?

Mainly because it isn't a scheduled maintenance item, and also because you must draw the line between preventive maintenance and overkill.

We only started the practice of preemptively replacing water pumps around 100k when the imports required timing belt jobs at the same mileage. Previously, water pumps were only replaced when they failed.

My experience has been that water pumps usually last a minimum of 150,000 miles or 10-12 years. Most of the water pumps that I've replaced were well over 10 years old. If the OP's car was 8 years old and this was its first timing belt service, then I'd say do the water pump as well. But considering that the car is about 5 years old, I'd say skip it and wait.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
For $200 more, there is no conceivable reason not to do the water pump as well, imo.