Replace Old Vostro

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
Sometime in the next 6 months I want to replace an old Dell Vostro business computer with something that has more punch. Not a big gamer. Will use this for a little video work but mostly as an internet, financial/ business applications. I saw this one at Costco that is advertised for gaming:
Lenovo LEGION 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Ryzen 5 4600H - GeForce GTX 1650 - 120Hz 1080p (costco.com).
I am wondering if it doesn't fill my requirements for something newer with more oomph. I use a laptop outside every now and again. Would love something with great nits and more battery life.
Any more experienced users have other suggestions. I am will to wait for the great deal on a fast processor.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What's your budget for this laptop?

If you're not a gamer, you could probably skip the dedicated GPU and save $100. The integrated graphics on the Ryzen mobile processors is decent for general desktop application use.

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
What's your budget for this laptop?

If you're not a gamer, you could probably skip the dedicated GPU and save $100. The integrated graphics on the Ryzen mobile processors is decent for general desktop application use.

Yes, skipping a dedicated GPU is probably good for my purposes.

My budget is something in the range of $600 or $800 (naturally want to keep it as low as possible). And I hate to say it but, a great bargain is a significant factor for me and would spend more just for the satisfaction.

Don't want to give up fast processor, good nits and solid battery life.

(Some bargain hunters online looking a the Legions say to wait for the 2021 Lenovo Legion 5s coming next month with excellent pricing, but all these may be more than I need).

As you can tell I am not laptop astute.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Have you taken a look at the latest Macbook Air? It's a bit more than your budget, but it ticks all of your boxes.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm liking this Lenovo IdeaPad 7. It's got more SSD storage than the Legion gaming notebook you picked, but is in the same $700 price range:

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
I'm liking this Lenovo IdeaPad 7. It's got more SSD storage than the Legion gaming notebook you picked, but is in the same $700 price range:

I like that one a lot but it looks like I can't add memory.