Repeating Apartment's Open Wifi With My Router, Network File-Share Security Question

hippovsmouse

Aug 2, 2014
Greets-

My apartment has open unsecured wifi. I have a router with ddwrt - which I have used to draw in the open wifi, repeat the signal with my own virtual ssid which I have secured.

Now then, I have created a small 2-computer network connected to my router. One computer is a server to share files with my laptop.

The router, will keep both computers protected/isolated from the broader apartment's open unsecured network right? The last thing I'd want is to be sharing my drive with everyone on the apartment's network.
My router is on a different subnet from the apartment's

I think i've got it right but thought i'd ask, just the same :eek:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
As long as the subnet is different then you should be fine. If you can't view anyone else's computers then they likely can't see yours.

I would recommend using a VPN, though. Unsecured means unencrypted, which means anyone can capture and decode the packets, and can see what you are doing on sites not using SSL encryption (https). It's a small price to pay for privacy. Some solid choices include Private Internet Access, TorGuard, and AirVPN.