Repeated Keystrokes cause micro stuttering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
Check if turning off the event viewer logging helps like it did with similar keyboard problems in GTA IV

tried this but no good.

have you tried it with everything stock (no overclock)?

yep I recently bought an SSD so windows is fairly newly installed.

I just fired call of duty up and mapped walk, strafe and use to my mouse and guess what, smooth as silk. strafing while looking around and clicking use key like crazy and its fine. only the keyboard does it. what the hell?

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Do you have the 1000hz USB ultra polling enabled? I've seen various motherboards choke when a peripheral is set to 1000hz. BIOS updates can help, so can driver updates.

my bet is USB too

Find yourself PS2/USB adapter and try your luck with PS/2 instead of USB

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
my bet is USB too

Find yourself PS2/USB adapter and try your luck with PS/2 instead of USB

I have already tried an old PS/2 keyboard with the same problem D:

just to note - when moving walking forward and pressing buttons WITHOUT moving the mouse, its fine. Only mouse movements and keys pressing combined create it. So strange.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
just to note - when moving walking forward and pressing buttons WITHOUT moving the mouse, its fine. Only mouse movements and keys pressing combined create it. So strange.

exact same symptoms.

when you get a chance - do show us some frame times for further analysis.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
for lavaheadache - it was with crysis3 (not sure if this stutter was present among his other games)
motherboard fixed his stutter.

for me - it was bf4 (only first person shooter I play)
motherboard did not fix mine.

yours may vary.

symptoms are darn near the same.

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
hmmm im pretty screwed then. This will never get fixed. To make matters even stranger, i installed call of duty 4 on my laptop and i was greeted by this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1wbfvBTqI

How the hell is that possible? the same exact problem running on battery and plugged in.

I'm starting to think maybe the power is dirty or something and its doing something to the motherboard and leaving permanent damage?

Absolutely no idea.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This happened to a friend of mine, with a newly-built AM3 rig with a quad-core Athlon II X4 CPU, and a generic keyboard (PS/2, IIRC), and attempting to play GTAIV on PC. Holding down keys on the keyboard, to drive, etc., caused massive stuttering in the graphics. (Oh yes, he was using a 9800GT PCI-E card). His solution, which worked, was to get a wired XBox360 game pad to use on the PC, since GTAIV supported it. No more stutter.

I personally don't understand the issue, quite, I mean, the PS/2 keyboard interface is fairly efficient.

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
This happened to a friend of mine, with a newly-built AM3 rig with a quad-core Athlon II X4 CPU, and a generic keyboard (PS/2, IIRC), and attempting to play GTAIV on PC. Holding down keys on the keyboard, to drive, etc., caused massive stuttering in the graphics. (Oh yes, he was using a 9800GT PCI-E card). His solution, which worked, was to get a wired XBox360 game pad to use on the PC, since GTAIV supported it. No more stutter.

I personally don't understand the issue, quite, I mean, the PS/2 keyboard interface is fairly efficient.

thats a different kind of stutter issue. It can be fixed by disabling windows event logger in services so i hear.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Did you try using a different mouse? You said it only happens when moving mouse and hitting a key.

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
I mapped strafe, walk and use to the mouse and spammed use while looking around and strafing and it didnt happend. I have tried another mouse but same issue.

like i say the ignore repeated keystrokes option in keyboard settings kills it, just keystrokes cause a slight microstutter and its so annoying. There must be some kind of setting that works if ignoring keystrokes removes most of it.

I dont know and i dont think anybody else does either. I've searched almost every google page for hours and hours that i've read them all now. I have lost hope.

Last edited:

Wadeskiii

Jan 4, 2018
I know this is an old thread but did you ever come to a conclusion to what was happening? I'm getting the exact same now and cant find a solution anywhere. Exactually as you explain!!!

Welcome to our forums!
The person who created this post
has not logged into this site in almost
4 years.

If you need help with a computer issue,
Please feel free to create a new post and
someone may be able to help you.

AT Mod Usandthem

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I realize this is an old thread, but there's no reason it can't be troubleshot since it seems to be a continuing issue still.

Is there any software related to the keyboard and/or installed? Protection software or malware possibly? It seems strange that some engines simply can't handle repeated keystrokes very well. That sounds like a poorly ported engine to me.