Repeated Keystrokes cause micro stuttering

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
Hey all.
I recently discovered a cause of micro stuttering i had been suffering from on most of my games which was repeated keystrokes. basically when strafing using WASD and moving the mouse it would create a micro stutter, where the keys repeating.

I managed to find a temporary fix using this

Enter the Ease of access centre (this can be accessed through Accessories after clicking Start), then click 'Make the Keyboard Easier to use'

Click 'Set Filter Keys'.

Click 'Set up Filter Keys'.

Click 'Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys',and then on 'Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys'. Select the option to ignore all repeated keystrokes, and reduce the time option at the top to 0.0 seconds.

However, I still get a momentary stutter whenever I hit two keys. For example, strafing no longer stutters the entire time strafing but beginning to walk forward while strafing causes a brief stutter. Also, taking pressure off of the strafe key to continue to move forward also causes another brief stutter; it's aggravating.

I couldn't find any word if this can be fixed or if this is indeed the best remedy i have.

Thanks

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I think my Razer deathstalker is a little more pricier than that.

But is it any better? :sneaky:

This seems like a really odd problem. Your Razer probably uses Razer's own software, have you checked if there's a newer version where this issue might've been fixed?

Feb 19, 2009
Wow, this is first time I have seen someone having microstutter because of their keyboard.. I've always gamed for the past two decades using cheap $10 keyboards. A good mouse is a must, but keyboards.. well, they're all the same to me, and I've tried those $120 mechanical ones, such gimmicks.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
A mechanical keyboard is worth every penny.
Not always. Buckling spring is noisy and older models like the unicomp is only 2kro. Cherry switches have a longer travel than low profile rubber dome. It all depends on what the user wants.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
In BF3 and BF4 hitting Q to spot causes a momentary pause at times. Not sure if same issue though. Can't say I've seen stutter from keystrokes in general.

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
Yeah it is strange indeed about the keyboard being the cause, but i can assure you it is.
I found the filterkey partial fix to work on all the call of duty games and crysis 2. Just the damn keystrokes stutter from the input.

Its so frustrating being so close to eliminating the problem but nobody knows about how to go about fixing it.

I've tried an old logitech ps/2 keyboard and that does the same thing, which rules out a USB problem. I am almost convinced it has something to do with windows. Just a change in configuration somewhere, but where!?

Another solution is to use 120hz. That way the keystrokes aren't visible. although i also have a problem with 120hz :( when in game, say if i look at the floor and just start strafing any direction i can see a slight but very noticable split second skip that is consistent. It doesn't affect frame rate in anyway and only appears to do it when moving. 60hz does not have this problem. It could just be my monitor because this guy describes the exact same thing ->http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16766870

Basically my computer is f***ed.

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I've seen it happen before on another PC, It had to do with the motherboard's USB drivers in Windows (if the keyboard is USB, it should never happen on PS/2), and installilng the motherboard's specific drivers eliminated it. So give that a look.

I've gamed on a $5 (er.. $8) keyboard no problems, it was my replacement after a broken keyboard from rage smashing *cough*.

Edit- I just noticed a couple posts above that it's still happening no matter what type of keyboard you're using? Hmm.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Can you clarify the type of stuttering?

What I mean is, does the stutter look like someone is pressing crazy key combinations on your controls to make it like the game/graphics are behaving correctly and properly responding to those crazy inputs?

Or, is it like a graphical glitch, where the game is doing inhuman weird behavior, like the graphics are glitching uncontrollably in a way that defies any control inputs you could possibly input?

Maybe post a video of your screen showing us the stuttering?

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
Thanks for your replies, i appreciate the help.

Teknobug - it did cross my mind about USB drivers so i uninstalled them but it made no difference. the PS/2 keyboard does the stutter also which is why i am sure its a configuration issue.

Kingfatty - Here is a video of what i was getting due to repeated keystrokes and then moving the mouse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfioH6x1UQE

It did this because the computer is registering when you hold down a key e.g aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and each mouse movement micro stutter represents those keys.

I have removed the consistency by using the filter keys fix but each time any key is pressed and released during mouse movements it will create 1 of those micro stutters. holding down a key and moving the mouse is now fixed but as soon as you press any key it happends once for every how many times you press the key

I hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Thanks

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Here is a video of what i was getting due to repeated keystrokes and then moving the mouse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfioH6x1UQE

I am getting that exact exact exact same stuttering with my 680x3 at 5760x1080 on BF4. however frame times clearly shows the frames dipping into low 20s. this was happening with sticky key off, toggle key off, and filter key off.

oh well too late. 290x x3 is already on route and 1 of the 680 is already sold.

you mention the problem disappearing with 120hz. what is your system configuration?

justinone

Apr 3, 2014
I am getting that exact exact exact same stuttering with my 680x3 at 5760x1080 on BF4. however frame times clearly shows the frames dipping into low 20s. this was happening with sticky key off, toggle key off, and filter key off.

oh well too late. 290x x3 is already on route and 1 of the 680 is already sold.

you mention the problem disappearing with 120hz. what is your system configuration?

Yes strangely the higher refresh rate you go the less obvious it is. 120hz removes it almost completely. For months i thought it was a vsync issue and tried a whole range of settings in radeonpro and in game but nothing worked.

I am i7 3770k 4.2ghz
8 gig ram
290x
windows 7 x64

i run every graphical setting at default in CCC with nothing else in the background.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
Check if turning off the event viewer logging helps like it did with similar keyboard problems in GTA IV

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
high fps has a tendency to mask problems cause your eyes cannot catch it, even though it is still happening.

have you tried it with everything stock (no overclock)?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Do you have the 1000hz USB ultra polling enabled? I've seen various motherboards choke when a peripheral is set to 1000hz. BIOS updates can help, so can driver updates.