Rep Sheila Jackson Lee introducing legislation to go after White Supremacists by codifying domestic terrorism laws.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Isn't the name Leading against White Supremacy? I don't really see what the problem is unless you're pro white supremacy.

It's the deplorables tactic to ignore inconvenient language in an attempt to strawman an argument they think they "gotcha" with.

This is a great example. I'm 100% white european. The language in the title or the intent doesn't offend me at all, not feeling slighted or target in the least. Why's that? Because I'm not a WHITE SUPREMECIST. It's really that simple.

Deplorables like greenman think they slick and their shit doesn't stink but they always show their true colors. You just have to notice.

The article explains the need that's trying to be met, but it seems like reading it isn't going to happen for some.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's the deplorables tactic to ignore inconvenient language in an attempt to strawman an argument they think they "gotcha" with.

This is a great example. I'm 100% white european. The language in the title or the intent doesn't offend me at all, not feeling slighted or target in the least. Why's that? Because I'm not a WHITE SUPREMECIST. It's really that simple.

Deplorables like greenman think they slick and their shit doesn't stink but they always show their true colors. You just have to notice.

The article explains the need that's trying to be met, but it seems like reading it isn't going to happen for some.
I find a lot of shitty people let you know just how shitty they are by just letting them talk uninterrupted. They rarely get a platform where they feel legitimate so they just keep on rolling.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Aren't hate crimes already a thing?
Haven't they been a thing for decades?
The purpose of this is confusing, are they hatier hate? Are they crimier crimes?
It all seems redundant, but then you say none of it was real to begin with and it needs to be codified now....

That is confusing beyond reason, but I stand for making... terrorism... a... crime?
How the !@#$ is it not already?
/First Impression

Digging into the article further... it explicitly targets white supremacy. So this isn't about criminal activity at all. Rather, this makes it a crime to express white supremacy. To even think it. Yeah, that would be new. And not just supremacy but conspiracy theories and crazy ideas revolved around white supremacy? Calling out "replacement theory" as a criminal thought is... interesting. People can be hyped up on that shit and not be concerned about the color of people's skin, so much as all the other social changes and differences between two groups of people. If all of Russia fled into the US, that WOULD also cause one hell of a problem. Because immigration is not free, just ask the Native Americans.
Is this what you mean?

Under Jackson Lee’s bill, people who propagate racist ideology and conspiracy theories online could be held legally responsible when individuals commit violence because they are inspired to do so by such online material.

Because what you're saying isn't what that is.

edit: the video explains further as well.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Isn't the name Leading against White Supremacy? I don't really see what the problem is unless you're pro white supremacy.

Because…all racists matter!

It’s not about which one is doing the most domestic terrorism it’s about treating all racist equally. Just like BLM shouldn’t put focus on where it needs to be but instead should have focused on all lives. Government shouldn’t be about being efficient and addressing particular problems, instead it should have a more broad unfocused and inefficient approach. After all, government can’t be the problem if it’s actually addressing the issues.

Duh!

/s

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because…all racists matter!

It’s not about which one is doing the most domestic terrorism it’s about treating all racist equally. Just like BLM shouldn’t put focus on where it needs to be but instead should have focused on all lives. Government shouldn’t be about being efficient and addressing particular problems, instead it should have a more broad unfocused and inefficient approach. After all, government can’t be the problem if it’s actually addressing the issues.

Duh!

/s
Racists are mentally ill. Mentally ill people should matter in my opinion. Many people who grew up racists change as their experience grows and contradicts what they were taught as children. Many who had racists parents reject it even quite young. Hatred of evil makes it harder to grow out of it due to all the additional emotional condemnation it builds up on it, no?

Racism is based on a willingness to believe in the certainty of one's own judgment as to who is good and who is evil. You can't judge if you have humility, tolerance, and compassion for the failings of others because of their own ignorance, I would think.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And if it said black instead of white that would be just fine as well?
I'd also note that just the name of the bill is going to incite the very people it's designed to control. It's bad optics, it's bad law.
Many times bills are named to make it hard for people to vote no.

Why aren't you asking why are so many Republicans either openly racist or closely associate with known white nationalists? What's your solution? Republicans already killed the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act. They don't want to do ANYTHING about how people of color are treated by law enforcement.

Interesting you bitch about the fix but stay silent on the original offense.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
While Im sure this is well intentioned, you kind of have to look at the bigger picture. In Europe it is illegal to even criticize certain groups of people:

Who gets to define what a "conspiracy" is? Can you be arrested for expressing an opinion? Not yet at least. As mentioned we already have laws against crimes that result from hate against any group of people.

If anything we should probably be targeting members of groups who travel around the country and go around agitating communities into violence and looting - namely Antifa. Their hatred is based on politics and they resort to tactics that are usually not peaceful.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Greenman will never evolve. I've known this forever. Stone people here thought he had a chance.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If anything we should probably be targeting members of groups who travel around the country and go around agitating communities into violence and looting - namely Antifa. Their hatred is based on politics and they resort to tactics that are usually not peaceful.
The problem with Antifa is that the minute you go looking for them—they no longer exist!!! Aunty, where you at???

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
While Im sure this is well intentioned, you kind of have to look at the bigger picture. In Europe it is illegal to even criticize certain groups of people:

Who gets to define what a "conspiracy" is? Can you be arrested for expressing an opinion? Not yet at least. As mentioned we already have laws against crimes that result from hate against any group of people.

Easy. If we can enforce for Muslims why can’t we enforce for white nationalists?

Did you miss the part where the law would apply to any groups engaged in domestic terrorism?

Know who gets to determine if there is a criminal conspiracy? A jury, that’s how our system works. This legislation allows for investigations and prosecutions.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
White nationalist are the greatest threat to America today. Which means millions of the GQP base

I know. Even though white nationalists are the #1 domestic terrorist threat why don’t we go after the Sikhs?

Kinda like attacking Iraq after 9/11 when 15 out of 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

75%+ of domestic terrorism is from white nationalists, almost all terrorism is from conservatives.

#dealwithit

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Poor Felix someone is trying to hold his fellow tribe members accountable for their actions. He doesn’t know how to deal with that.

Also shocking that the opinion piece he quotes comes from a guy who supported Trump’s claims of election fraud on Fox.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Poor Felix someone is trying to hold his fellow tribe members accountable for their actions. He doesn’t know how to deal with that.

Also shocking that the opinion piece he quotes comes from a guy who supported Trump’s claims of election fraud on Fox.

It’s been a mindset on the right forever. Consequences for actions have always been for people of color not white people.

That’s why it’s always been cool with them to investigate Muslims for conspiracy but not white people

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dems are going to revive the George Floyd policing act and add Tyre Nichols name

One thing they need to add. Failure to wear or intentionally disabling or interfering with body cam needs to be a felony. Body cams have been instrumental in blacks getting justice against the police. They are a necessity

Right now it is just a rules violation. Just imagine what we would have without them

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
In addition, DoJ should just let loose the civil rights division and crawl up the nether regions of some of these "repeat offender" cities/jurisdictions with the fucking hubble telescope. Fire up about 47 or so consent decrees.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's funny watching Greenman getting all offended by a bill trying to deal with reality. His whole life he has voted for the most racist party/politicians in America, the white nationalist party, and defended them, and now he feels sucker punched as a white man because, gasp, white nationalists still be bad and terrible and a big threat.

What a fucking snowflake.

Last edited:

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
In addition, DoJ should just let loose the civil rights division and crawl up the nether regions of some of these "repeat offender" cities/jurisdictions with the fucking hubble telescope. Fire up about 47 or so consent decrees.
Meh, they came down on Louisville Metro Police years ago. There hasn’t even been a report yet.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Many times bills are named to make it hard for people to vote no.

Why aren't you asking why are so many Republicans either openly racist or closely associate with known white nationalists? What's your solution? Republicans already killed the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act. They don't want to do ANYTHING about how people of color are treated by law enforcement.

Interesting you bitch about the fix but stay silent on the original offense.
Do I need to state that police beating a man to death is a bad thing? In my world that's a given. The officers have been charged and will likely be convicted, what more do you want?
I've heard rumor that there is more to the story than what's been presented. Nothing that will exonerate the officers involved, but an explanation as to what triggered the event, and actually makes the officers behavior even more egregious.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Do I need to state that police beating a man to death is a bad thing? In my world that's a given. The officers have been charged and will likely be convicted, what more do you want?
I've heard rumor that there is more to the story than what's been presented. Nothing that will exonerate the officers involved, but an explanation as to what triggered the event, and actually makes the officers behavior even more egregious.
Actually the word I'm hearing from "your world" is...

"why did he run?" and "if you people would just comply there would be no problems"

In light of the video, I find those statements disgusting and tough to swallow.

What more do I want? How about admitting white nationalists and people/groups that associate with them are a cancer on this country. Can you do that?

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
For this to not happen again. For black people to be treated equally - fairly, respectfully, and without prejudice.

If a white kid can shoot up a church, be taken into custody without harm, and be taken a fast food joint on the way to jail, then black men can be detained without killing them.

(And if I'm confusing my mass murderers, it's because it happens too fucking often)