Rep. John Lewis has died at the age of 80.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
damn.

John Lewis, who went from being the youngest leader of the 1963 March on Washington to a long-serving congressman from Georgia and icon of the civil rights movement, died Friday. He was 80.
In December 2019, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

As a leader of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Lewis was a committed participant in some of the key moments of the movement — an original Freedom Rider in 1961, a principal speaker at the March on Washington in 1963, one of those brutally clubbed during a 1965 march in Selma, Ala. Through it all, he faced taunts, beatings and dozens of arrests.

“In the face of what John considered the evils of segregation, he was fearless,” said longtime SNCC activist Courtland Cox.

that is one hell of a legacy. RIP.

Reactions: zinfamous

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
RIP John Lewis. Your fight is over. You fought diligently both cancer and for civil justice. Thank you for all you have done. You are a mountain among men.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Perhaps with the money we have spent killing Brown People we could have had a cure for all cancers.

Reactions: dank69

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What sucks is that he fought hard to help us get to a place where things were progressing for the better for people of color and then what should have been peak equality with Obama being president instead turned out to be just one more chapter in the book of racism and inequality and another battle to be fought. Hopefully there are plenty of people like him to stir up a little more good trouble so we can finally close the book on America's original sin.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What sucks is that he fought hard to help us get to a place where things were progressing for the better for people of color and then what should have been peak equality with Obama being president instead turned out to be just one more chapter in the book of racism and inequality and another battle to be fought. Hopefully there are plenty of people like him to stir up a little more good trouble so we can finally close the book on America's original sin.

We have to look at the quest for civil rights like we do climbing a mountain...you won’t always go up, but it’s your determination to hang on and focus on the ultimate goal that matters. Lewis helped us climb a lot of that mountain before we took a brief dip.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
We have to look at the quest for civil rights like we do climbing a mountain...you won’t always go up, but it’s your determination to hang on and focus on the ultimate goal that matters. Lewis helped us climb a lot of that mountain before we took a brief dip.

That is true but as someone who climbed so high and so close to the peak, its got to suck to look up and see a whole other mountain that needs to be climbed right before you die.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
RIP distinguished congressman Lewis. Sad to see you gone, but you fought the good fight to the end.

I think we now have a worthy replacement candidate for any confederate statues/monuments/bases in the South.

Reactions: zinfamous

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
RIP distinguished congressman Lewis. Sad to see you gone, but you fought the good fight to the end.

I think we now have a worthy replacement candidate for any confederate statues/monuments/bases in the South.

There was talk about naming the bridge after him where he staged a protest and was almost beaten to death.

Reactions: Muse

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
RIP John Lewis, thank you for your service.

C.T Vivian passed away yesterday as well. My introduction to racism as a kid included seeing footage of a cop punching Vivian in the face, it's always stuck with me. He spent his entire life advocating non violence and equal rights, passed away on Friday at the age of 95.

Sad to lose icons of the civil rights era, I hope we can keep their memories alive.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A true leader in every sense of the word. I'm just sorry he had to see this country slide backwards so much at the end of his life.

Reactions: dank69

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can't right now think of a more iconic civil rights advocate in modern day America than Congressman John Lewis, and right until the end. Obama is an icon, of course, and a trailblazer. Lewis is synonymous with the civil rights movement.

The backlash to the Obama presidency took me by surprise. That AFAIK does not exist where I live.
Closing the book on America's original sin has to start with opening it up for all to see -- what it has been and what it is.

Reactions: dingster1

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A true leader in every sense of the word. I'm just sorry he had to see this country slide backwards so much at the end of his life.
Came in here to say something along these lines. Well said and RIP.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Crickets from the White House. I check the Presidents twitter too, no mention found.
Historic Narcissistic Turd the President is.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
John Lewis was a true American hero and icon. He is ten times the man that any federal Republican elected official or Fox News blowhard could ever be.

May you rest in peace, Mr. Lewis. Your life has been an inspiration to us all.

That mountain, the rest of us will continue the climb for you!

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Congressman John Lewis. You fought the tough fights others wouldn't, you endured beatings and harassment yet you continued to fight on, You Sir, were a true hero to this country.
RIP

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fox is even giving him decent coverage. Just done look down to the comments section unless you want a heavy dose of vile racism.

You're the racist for pointing out their racism, /bibledrop

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Crickets from the White House. I check the Presidents twitter too, no mention found.
Can't see how he can't be deemed the crappiest president ever up to this point. He's just got the market cornered. The only thing I can say in his favor is that he hasn't started a war. He's chicken shit to do that. Not that I'm a hawk, I can just see through him and know his feels. But he escaped that war with Iran by a sliver. If Americans died when Solomeini was killed, it was war. Now, I'm not the least bit sure personally that Americans didn't die in those rocket attacks. Just they kept that hush hush, covered it up, just said 50 guys had severe traumatic head injuries, no deaths. Yeah. Even so, Trumpie has called himself "a wartime president." He's proud of that. He's a dumbass.

Gabe323

Apr 29, 2002
If I remember right the first thing Trump did when Cummings died was want praise for allowing his casket to be displayed at the Capitol building. He's probably just going to keep quiet and release a tweet on the day of his services.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
If I remember right the first thing Trump did when Cummings died was want praise for allowing his casket to be displayed at the Capitol building. He's probably just going to keep quiet and release a tweet on the day of his services.
Statement from the VP and the WH flags at half staff. CNNs correspondent says its rare for a VP to issue a statement before the president. He said he doesn't expect the orange menace to say anything about Congressman Lewis's passing.

I wouldn't expect anything less from this vile narcissist.

Feb 4, 2009
Statement from the VP and the WH flags at half staff. CNNs correspondent says its rare for a VP to issue a statement begore the president. He said he doesn't expect the orange menace to say anything about Congressman Lewis's passing.

I wouldn't expect anything less from this vile narcissist.

So frustrating because it would be so easy for the President to just say I have Pence do this stuff because I have trouble expressing sorrow.
Our President is so mentally unhealthy he can’t believe he isn’t the best at anything.