Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) found guilty of 11 of 13 ethics charges.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
First Chaka Fattah http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/politics/chaka-fattah-found-guilty-corruption/

Now Chuck :(

A House ethics committee subpanel today found Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel guilty of 11 of the 13 charges of ethics violations against him.

The panel, composed of four Democrats and four Republicans, emerged after private deliberation to announce their findings.

"This has been a difficult assignment," committee chair Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) said. "We have tried to act with fairness, led only by the facts and the law, and I believe we have accomplished that mission."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charlie-rangel-found-guilty-on-11-of-13-ethics-charges/

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Umm, article about Rangel is from 2010...

Chuckie first Chaka second. With a slew of them in between.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
Umm, article about Rangel is from 2010...

Chuckie first Chaka second. With a slew of them in between.

The link I posted was an update...

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06/25/charlie-rangel-found-guilty-on-11-of-13-ethics-violations/

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I detected a hint of racism about this.
Like "oh see? you can't trust a black congressman".
Face it, that is where all this is leading up to.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ LOL! SO typical racist Dim thinking!

Dim: "you can't hold a black person to ANY standard because....

.... because....

.......everyone ELSE is racist?! THAT must be it!"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Next up on the docket, those two fuck'in assholes Bush and Cheney. What those guys perpetrated against the American people is exponentially more damaging than what Rangel did.

Yeh, I know, wishful thinking. :)

edit - And yes, I think Rangel got what he deserved, if not more.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
"B-B-B-But Bush...!!"

Haven't heard that one in a while.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
"B-B-B-But Bush...!!"

Haven't heard that one in a while.

You're still paying for it, but I know you prefer to just blame Obama for national spending in spite of the disconnect from reality (Congress).

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I detected a hint of racism about this.
Like "oh see? you can't trust a black congressman".
Face it, that is where all this is leading up to.
Haha, seriously? That's so SJW of you. Face it, it's just an attempt to smear a powerful Dem, no more, no less.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I thought he would have been removed long ago.

Shows the problem with incumbency, a completely corrupt politician can get easily reelected because he's been there so long. Really the fact that he was even convicted is surprising with how little consequences Congress faces for their illegal actions. Hell, Darrell Issa and Tom Cotton have both done things that would get a non Congressman indicted for multiple crimes possibly even treason, and they'll almost definitely get reelected easily and never face charges.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
From a legal standpoint there is a substantial difference-Fattah was convicted of committing (felony) crimes, Rangel was found to have violated House rules.

I am (somewhat) surprised and very pleased that the House committee did find Rangel in violation and I hope they take serious action against him. For decades he has been corrupt to the core with impunity.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Rank hath its privileges. Be a good little peasant and accept it.

Shows the problem with incumbency, a completely corrupt politician can get easily reelected because he's been there so long. Really the fact that he was even convicted is surprising with how little consequences Congress faces for their illegal actions. Hell, Darrell Issa and Tom Cotton have both done things that would get a non Congressman indicted for multiple crimes possibly even treason, and they'll almost definitely get reelected easily and never face charges.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Damned shame. He's as corrupt as anyone in Congress within my lifetime, but he's also one of Congress' very few authentic American heroes.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
so is anything actually going to happen to him - as in jailtime? or will he simply get a slap on the wrist.

i will be pissed if he doesn't go to jail - because as a former federal employee, stuff like this lands you YEARS in jail. and it's bullshit that congress can get away with the same things that are super illegal for federal employees.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
so is anything actually going to happen to him - as in jailtime? or will he simply get a slap on the wrist.

i will be pissed if he doesn't go to jail - because as a former federal employee, stuff like this lands you YEARS in jail. and it's bullshit that congress can get away with the same things that are super illegal for federal employees.
Your answer is in the article. I bolded the pertinent words.

The subpanel will now submit its findings to the full ethics committee, which will schedule a public hearing to determine the appropriate sanctions to take against the longtime New York representative. Whatever action they decide on during the sanctions hearing will then go to the full House of Representatives. The committee could go so far as to recommend expelling Rangel, but that would be unlikely. Other possible sanctions include a House vote deploring Rangel's conduct, a fine or a denial of privileges.
Our government is out of control. The rule makers decide what rules apply to them and when they apply.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

As I said above.

Rank hath its privileges. Be a good little peasant and accept it.

Feb 16, 2005
So is he barred from having morning donuts with the rest of the Congress?

he may have to buy them from time to time as well
Charlie-Rangel-Sleeping-As-Usual1.jpg

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Just to clarify, even the full House cannot send him to jail. The most they can do is impeach him, remove him from office, and strip him of his pension. None of which will actually happen, mind you.