Removing the power cord interferes with SpyHunter

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
Hello!

Please help me!

My problem is that I use SpyHunter4 (I know SH has a bad reputation, but the new versions work just fine, no scareware behavior or anything like that) on my laptop PC, and when I remove the power cord, it crashes, and makes the OS crash as well.

If I start the computer unplugged, SpyHunter won't even start. However, it can be started manually, and then I can plug in or pull out the power cord without any problem. SpyHunter might also start the moment I plug the laptop in, if it was originally booted unplugged. However, if I then pull it out again, SpyHunter crashes.

HelpDesk claims that this is normal, and it is the OS that shuts the program down or keeps it from loading on boot.

Is there a workaround for this? Can I eliminate the problem by gauging the advanced power settings or can I somehow make SpyHunter 'protected' from automatic shutdown by the OS?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you very much in advance!

Specs:

My Computer is a Dell 7559 laptop with Windows 10 Home.
CPU: 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6300HQ Quad Core 2.3 GHz (6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
RAM: 8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)
HDD: Seagate 5400rpm 64MB SATA ST1000LM014
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 (+ intergrated Intel HD Graphics 530)
Battery: 74 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated)
Antivirus: McAfee AntiVirus, ver. 14.0; McAfee Security Center ver. 15.0, Build 15.0.2063
All software and drivers are up-to-date and are regularly updated.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sounds like your battery can't hack it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
HelpDesk claims that this is normal, and it is the OS that shuts the program down or keeps it from loading on boot.

Is there a workaround for this? Can I eliminate the problem by gauging the advanced power settings or can I somehow make SpyHunter 'protected' from automatic shutdown by the OS?

WUT? Never heard of anything like that.

Whether your laptop is running on battery, or on AC power, should be mostly (I think?) transparent to application programs, although I think Windows notifies applications via power-management messages when those conditions change.

Have you simply tried un-installing that program, and then plugging and unplugging the laptop into AC power while it is running? Does it still crash the OS? I have a feeling that the problem may be your laptop, and not SpyHunter. (Which I haven't not heard of as a "legit" anti-spyware program. I would beware.)

Edit: Also, what is "HelpDesk" in this context? SpyHunter's tech support line?

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
WUT? Never heard of anything like that.

Whether your laptop is running on battery, or on AC power, should be mostly (I think?) transparent to application programs, although I think Windows notifies applications via power-management messages when those conditions change.

Have you simply tried un-installing that program, and then plugging and unplugging the laptop into AC power while it is running? Does it still crash the OS? I have a feeling that the problem may be your laptop, and not SpyHunter. (Which I haven't not heard of as a "legit" anti-spyware program. I would beware.)

Edit: Also, what is "HelpDesk" in this context? SpyHunter's tech support line?

Yeah, I haven't heard anything like that, either.
I tried everything, including reinstalling the whole thing following the instructions of the Help Desk (and yes, I mean SpyHunter's Help Desk) to do a "clean" reinstall.

The laptop doesn't crash when I remove the power cord, except when an instance of SpyHunter which was started when the laptop was on AC is running.
Otherwise, my laptop is only about a month and a half old, the battery is in perfect condition, and everything works perfectly.

Just to make absolutely sure, I plugged and unplugged my PC several times while doing various things (after closing SpyHunter, of course!). After that, I started Doom (2016) and while I played, I kept plugging and unplugging the PC. Finally I played for about 3/4 of an hour while running on battery. There was no problem until the battery went low and the GPU downclocked, which, of course, slowed the game down. Then I just plugged in the cord (while still playing) – back to normal speed, no problem.

Which I haven't not heard of as a "legit" anti-spyware program. I would beware.

I'm sorry I didn't understand that sentence. Are you saying the SpyHunter is not a legit anti-malware app? (I admit that I bought it quite without thinking much, because a nasty malware was on my system and the free Malwarebytes product just wrecked my sytem and I had to do a restore from a restore point.) I saw positive reviews about it, e.g. here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1523245,00.asp

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
It is possible that it requires more power than Doom. How old is the battery?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Do you think it could require so much power while idle and not scanning? Who would code such a monstrosity?

The battery is about a month and a half old.

If I boot the PC unplugged, SpyHunter doesn't load up. However, if I then manually start it (while still running on battery), it works perfectly!

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The battery should be OK. Try this. Physically remove the battery from the laptop and connect only by AC power. Boot the laptop and see if Spyhunter loads. Me sure that the laptop is fully operational, desktop etc. before trying lo load Spyhunter.

Levee44

Dec 15, 2016
The battery should be OK. Try this. Physically remove the battery from the laptop and connect only by AC power. Boot the laptop and see if Spyhunter loads. Me sure that the laptop is fully operational, desktop etc. before trying lo load Spyhunter.

Thanks! I will try it, but first I have to check with Dell in case it might void the warranty, because the battery is integrated.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Thanks! I will try it, but first I have to check with Dell in case it might void the warranty, because the battery is integrated.
No, it still is a replaceable battery.
Wartung.jpg

I also strongly say get rid of spyhunter, it is crap. http://ccm.net/faq/31535-spyhunter-fake-security-blogs