Removing a passive (and x-large) gpu heatsink. Tips?

BadOmen

Oct 27, 2007
Does anyone have any tips about removing the gigantic heatsink of the Gigabyte GV-RX165P256D-RH? It's the Radeon x1650 passively cooled that used to sell with Civilization III bundled.

It's overheating like hell and it seems that the part of the HS contraption that should touch the GPU is a little far from the card (although the whole heatsink is getting very hot. Funny, if it really doesn't touch the gpu properly).

I think the first thing to do would be to reseat it, but as it uses heatpipes that link the blocks on both sides of the card, it may require some special tricks.

Besides, I must add, I have changed my cpu HS many times, but never touched a GPU hS.

Any tips are greatly appreciated
thanks

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
If the heatsink gets hot, then it's doing a good job conducting heat away from the GPU (my understanding). Maybe you'll want to put a low-RPM fan over the heatsink or get a case with a 200mm top fan like the Antec 900 ;)

douglasb

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2005
Depends what is holding it on. If it's one of the "sticker"-type thermal pads, then you have to remove it while it's hot (use a hair dryer to warm it up). Or you can try using some type of solvent to loosen up the thermal paste.

BadOmen

Oct 27, 2007
I was working with the case open and then I noticed something new: everytime I'm dealing with graphics, the video card sounds a faint buzz. It's true, I can hear a little buzzing sound coming from it every time I start a game, or even when scrolling down a page.

Something here is just not right. And the NB is overheating easily too.
I got a fan pointing at the card already, it's just that now it can never be turned off anymore. I used to need it only for heavy work, but now I need to leave the fan at maximum even when idling.

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
define: overheating

I ask because is the overheating causing instability?

Or are the heatsinks just getting uncomfortably hot to the touch? 140 F (60 C) is going to feel mighty uncomfortable but shouldn't be endangering your components any.

BadOmen

Oct 27, 2007
Sorry for the delay in answering and thanks for everybody's tips.

It's causing total instability. The whole system crashes after a few minutes if I don't turn on a big fan that I placed facing the video card. When playing a game, even with the fan I have eventual crashes.

I don't know, this card always gave me trouble. I don't know if removing and reseating its heatsink would be the solution, but I don't know what else to try? Maybe doing the same with the North Bridge HS? That one gets hot too.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
check dust buildup, might be worth removing the shroud and cleaning the heatsink/fan out with a toothbrush or compressed air.