Remote into Parents Computer?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am setting up a new computer for my mother. Before I give it to her, is there a way to set up a remote connection so I can log in from my house and do house keeping on her PC? There needs to be no work on her part to do this. She is easily confused.

Things like uninstall tool bars, run virus scan and check for malware, etc?

I am on Windows 8.1 she will be on 10 Home.

TIA

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I've used Quick Assist in Win10 to help out other users with Win10. Windows 8 has Remote Assistance and one of the options is Easy Connect which sounds very much like Quick Assist.

What I don't know is if the two are compatible with each other.

Connecting this way would take some intervention on her part. Clicking a thing or two and giving you a code, so that may not be a good solution.

https://www.howtogeek.com/268808/ho...assist-to-remotely-troubleshoot-a-friends-pc/

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
TeamViewer.

Attended - she give you id / password when you try to connect.

Unattended - register her PC at TeamViewer website and you can access her PC anytime.

Reactions: rsutoratosu

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Thanks, I don't want her to have to do anything.

I'll check out TeamViewer.

Agree with Boomerang, Quick Assist for Win10 has been fantastic and ridiculously easy. There's no exposing of ports or install additional software the has ports open needed on your router. It's basically an easy to use version of Window's fantastic Remote Desktop. Realistically your mother's computer needs to be turned on and if you like her enough to fix her machine, it's not hard to call or text her and tell her to turn it on and punch in a 6 digit code, especially if you teach her how to use Quick Assist the 1st time.

In my experience, it tends to open up ideas that they will call you and ask you to remote in and see if certain sites/emails are legit, then you get rewarded with food. :)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I seem to recall that Teamviewer had some security issues recently. Anybody that is into computers knows that companies oftentimes have to respond to what the "bad guys" are doing in a reactive way not a proactive way. It's kind of the nature of the beast. I've used Teamviewer numerous times in the past but having it running when the computer is on at all times which is how this would have to be implemented is to me, not optimal.

A shortcut could be put on the desktop for Quick Assist. Then it's a matter of choosing 'Get assistance' and entering a code. That's two steps more than opening a browser.

That's all from me. It's not my decision to make.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If you are concerned with TeamViewer, Chrome Remote Desktop is another option.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I see Quick Assist on the Win 10 PC. I don't see it in 8.1.

Google tells me to start a cmd line and enter msra.exe. I do and it doesn't appear to be the same program.

If I send the code in an email from the Win 10 PC, the instructions included tell me to go to All Programs-Windows Accessories-Quick Assist. Quick Assist is not there.

Must not be compatible.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Meh, I still use TeamViewer on users I support. I dont run it as a service. For my parents, I leave the icon on the desktop...so far it hasn't been an issue, they find it, read the code to me, works fine.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've been using TeamViewer to "fix" occasional issues with a friend's PC. Or to diagnose or configure his router. (But when it needs to reboot, after changing settings, have to wait for T.V. to time-out, and then call him again to get the new password to re-connect. That is, if I didn't screw up the router settings.)

p00rhyan

Jun 25, 2018
I am setting up a new computer for my mother. Before I give it to her, is there a way to set up a remote connection through cox cable so I can log in from my house and do house keeping on her PC? There needs to be no work on her part to do this. She is easily confused.
https://www.corenetworkz.com/2017/12/setup-cox-internet-troubleshoot-wifi.html

Things like uninstall tool bars, run virus scan and check for malware, etc?

I am on Windows 8.1 she will be on 10 Home.

TIA

My vote goes to TeamViewer Remote Access. Once its installed on your mother's computer, you can remotely access it from any computer or smartphone hassle free.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
AnyDesk with unattended mode and a secure password is what I have been using.