Remote desktop connection brings me to blank blue screen

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
Im try'ing to configure my desktop so i can remote to it from anywhere really. if im not home, i can goto a computer and remote in.

I have port forwarded my local address to my public IP, i have used tightvnc to verify it works.

but not all computers have tightvnc

most have remote desktop connection. when i connect, i get a nice blank blue screen.
i have an idea why it is doing this. but not so much how to resolve it.

if anyone could point me in the right direction :) that would be great

basically how to resolve the blank blue screen upon remoting

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
There's something wrong with the video part of the Remote Connection program. I would consider using Logmein and seeing if that does what you want it to do. That way you don't have to worry about port forwarding and things like that and you can access multiple computers.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
logmein. is that a program or a website

like i said tightvnc runs fine. i port forwarded my ip address to my local address, and works fine.

when i use remote desktop connection, i get a blank blue screen. with the address at the top.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: FuryofFive
logmein. is that a program or a website

both. its a website with a free remote client (And some paid versions)
install the client on the pc you want to log into, and use another client or the web interface to test it

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
ill take a look, but what about RDC??i mean id like to set it up... ill try that other one when i get home

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Does RDC works locally?

When used from remote a Port fore RDC has to be open, a Port can be opened only toward one Computer/IP.

If you want to connect to more than one computer you need to change the RDC port so that each computer has its own port pointing to its IP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Does RDC works locally?

When used from remote a Port fore RDC has to be open, a Port can be opened only toward one Computer/IP.

If you want to connect to more than one computer you need to change the RDC port so that each computer has its own port pointing to its IP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

yes.. it works locally, it gets a blank blue screen.. :) as if i were at terminal server

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Remote Desktop need remote desktop host/client.

I would not set other people computer Remote DeskTop to connect to my system for my purposes.

UltraVNC needs UltraVNC Host/Client.

UltraVNC viewer is a stand alone 750KB file called vncviewer.exe it is residing in the UltraVNC diretory after install. Copy this file to a USB flash Drive (or even a floppy).

You can plug the Flash drive into any computer and start from it the UltarVNC Viewer.

By doing so you can connect to your computers over the Interent without really involving whatever is on the computer that is used for the remote conncetion.

UltraVNC can be set with AES encryption and thus it is very safe.

If you use the encyption you have to copy the key to the flash drive too ( usually a file with extention .key that is about 100 byte in size).

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Remote Desktop need remote desktop host/client.

I would not set other people computer Remote DeskTop to connect to my system for my purposes.

UltraVNC needs UltraVNC Host/Client.

UltraVNC viewer is a stand alone 750KB file called vncviewer.exe it is residing in the UltraVNC diretory after install. Copy this file to a USB flash Drive (or even a floppy).

You can plug the Flash drive into any computer and start from it the UltarVNC Viewer.

By doing so you can connect to your computers over the Interent without really involving whatever is on the computer that is used for the remote conncetion.

UltraVNC can be set with AES encryption and thus it is very safe.

If you use the encyption you have to copy the key to the flash drive too ( usually a file with extention .key that is about 100 byte in size).

ok ill give them both

is the logmein remote safe?

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
ok i setup ultravnc.. im just to add a username as well as apassword, and i cant seem to do so

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
ok nm, i just added a password to my windows account :) cool deal. im def gonna try the flash drive thing, of course when my flash drive comes back

rickeo

Mar 5, 2008
logmein. Its been said in here before, but you cant go wrong. Stupid easy to setup and use.