Remakes I need

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DualAGamers

Feb 11, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'd love someone to take another crack at Spore. not the crap that we were given, but the concept, fleshed out in a way that makes the game really fun. Evolving your character, picking traits, building a civilization, that was incredible, but unfortunately it was too short, too easy, and not at all developed. But if someone were to give it another try, I'd play it. I'd play it like crazy.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Neuromancer (Could just make it using the Shadowrun returns engine)
Mars Saga (As above)
I second MW and Ghostbear.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The best 3D games made prior to around 2000 or so might be good candidates, because early models were utter garbage and rendering has gotten infinitely better. Morrowind is a good example, because it's oft cited as one of the best open world RPGs ever. The graphics were rather hideous however.

No 2D game needs a remake. They are what they are, and are exactly as good today as they were back then. Having higher res graphics of the exact same game will not improve them in any way. In fact I'd say they might end up being worse.

I agree with this.

The best remakes would be from the 1995-2002 era, I think.

So many wonderful ideas, wonderful atmospheres and game worlds, wonderful art direction from that time period, but seriously hampered experiences (at least visually) based on the immaturity of 3D and 3D engines at that point.

The perfect example of the perfect remake, for me, would the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube (and subsequently several other platforms).
It took everything that made the first Resident Evil game so enjoyable, and then fixed the myriad issues it had, updated the visuals, added new areas and extras, and ultimately created a game far superior in every way to the original.
That's what I'd like to see out of any remake: Keep the core elements of what made it worthy of a remake in the first place intact, but just improve on its faults and modernize it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Dawn of War...

Only if they make it Dawn of War 2 style with DoW1 numbers of units on overdrive.

Space Marines in much smaller numbers backed up by large amounts of Imperial Guard, facing down the nigh irresistible swarm of an Ork WAAAAGGGHHH!!!!! or the tenacious, insidious Tyranid hive.

Quite frankly, a story-driven RTS RPG where you could play an Inquisitor or Interrogator with a squad of hired help a-la Eisenhorn/Ravenor would be quite nice. Tracking down a Chaos cult, routing out a Genestealer hive prior to a Tyranid invasion... perhaps using an astropath to send out a message for IG support or a nearby chapter to send a couple of their number to help when the proverbial hits the fan.

So many options, so many ways that could go, so many sub quests that could change the outcome of the game it sounds so much fun in my head....

:D

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
One game I really liked was "Drakan Order of the Flame". It was a blast riding on and fighting dragons. Also a sequel.This was one of my favorite games. I know there is a remaster in the works, but I would like to see a complete remake with a decent sequel.
And definitely NOLF! Also Gabriel Knight remade.

The Wife

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Another vote for Drakan (would be superb in a Skyrim-scale open world.. in fact just mod Skyrim). I'd kill for another Jedi Outcast II, hell even make it linear, that game was just fun. A proper sidescroll Super Metroid style game would be fantastic. MechWarrior 2/Mercs gets another vote from me as well. Dawn of War would be phenomenal with the Ashes of the Singularity engine.. maybe add in some multi-world armies a la larger-scale planetary annihilation, if we really want to put on our Ork/Tyranid hats.

OP: I appreciate your enthusiasm, but remaking Skyrim in HL2's engine? Madness. Remaking Daggerfall/battlespire in Skyrim's engine? Now we're talking.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Unreal Tournament. The first one, not the one with vehicles that ruined everything.

No FPS has been that fun since.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
System SHOCK would be good. I've never played it thanks to the dated graphics and my inability to look past those dated graphics.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

I was looking thru Gog and realized I have another wish:

It would be nice if somebody remade all the Ultima games. I'd be happy with either the Infinity Engine or whatever Pillars of Eternity uses.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
BUMP!

I was looking thru Gog and realized I have another wish:

It would be nice if somebody remade all the Ultima games. I'd be happy with either the Infinity Engine or whatever Pillars of Eternity uses.

Pillars of Eternity uses the Unity engine.

I loved the Ultima series as well, but I wonder if it would still hold up.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
A good mechwarrior remake that is not a shooter

How about a good VR mechwarrior game?
Personally I would even prefer if someone made a mechwarrior-like game without the mechwarrior franchise. Basically a new universe that is not tied to something that is known. One thing I didn't like from the Mechwarriors I played was that I was basically following a story, no matter what I did, events in the grand scale wouldn't change.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
Wizardry Wizardry Wizardry!!!

If someone would kickstart a really good version I would pledge quite a bit. I have long envisioned the same wizardry mechanics that made it such a great game, but with really good visuals and effects.

There are a handful of games that have done some things similar but nothing has come close.

Want my felpur ninja and mook gadgeteer!!

Ahhh... I think I played through Wizardry 8 three times. I miss the tough battles, frustrating defeats. Just enough to make it challenging. Could be frustrating, but I like a challenge.

Again, bring it back with real graphics!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I would love to have a remake of Sundog The Frozen Legacy or Ultima 5, 6, and 7.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm hoping to get a Star Trek Bridge Commander remake that fully utilizes the HTC Vive's room scale, something like Voice Attack, and Leap Motion Orion for interacting with nearby consoles.

For the love of god, make it and shutup and take my money!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm hoping to get a Star Trek Bridge Commander remake that fully utilizes the HTC Vive's room scale, something like Voice Attack, and Leap Motion Orion for interacting with nearby consoles.

For the love of god, make it and shutup and take my money!

The closer you get to Star Trek VR, the closer you get to the Holodeck simulator, and well, you know what that means....

(nerds spending 100% in-game time getting it on with Deanna Troy and O'Hura)