Remakes I need

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
And BF2 and/or BF1942 Keep classes the same, use frostbite for destructible environments. I'll compromise and say allow limited unlocks.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen + Darkside of Xeen
Master of Magic
Wizardry 7

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That game was brilliant!

I wonder if I still have it kicking around.

I played it maybe 5 years ago.

It's still a blast, but it definitely shows it's age not just from a graphics standpoint but in the "depth" standpoint too. It was just so damned fun filled with so much character. You didn't need to like golf in order to enjoy it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I played it maybe 5 years ago.

It's still a blast, but it definitely shows it's age not just from a graphics standpoint but in the "depth" standpoint too. It was just so damned fun filled with so much character. You didn't need to like golf in order to enjoy it.

I love the various Sim spinoff games, and while golf is a horrible game, I can see the enjoyment in building these little enviro-tragedy courses.

Compared to Sim-Roller Coaster or theme park, where you have to manage kids that vomit and piss everywhere--with Sim Golf, do you have to deal with teenagers and drunken college jerks hijacking golf carts, doing donuts in your fareways, trashing the sand pits, tossing budweiser cans everywhere? What about folks living along the fareways releasing their dogs in the evenings to run amok shitting and digging all over the course, with no fucks given from the owners? (because if it is accurate in any way, those issues exactly reflect my experience living beside a course for 1 year...in college. :D)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I love the various Sim spinoff games, and while golf is a horrible game, I can see the enjoyment in building these little enviro-tragedy courses.

Compared to Sim-Roller Coaster or theme park, where you have to manage kids that vomit and piss everywhere--with Sim Golf, do you have to deal with teenagers and drunken college jerks hijacking golf carts, doing donuts in your fareways, trashing the sand pits, tossing budweiser cans everywhere? What about folks living along the fareways releasing their dogs in the evenings to run amok shitting and digging all over the course, with no fucks given from the owners? (because if it is accurate in any way, those issues exactly reflect my experience living beside a course for 1 year...in college. :D)

None of those occur in SimGolf.

What about SimAnt and SimTower. God I loved those

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Ooh, how about SimEarth? A well-done modern version of that would be fascinating.

I never really got into SimEarth (I think I was playing it on the Amiga?) but I remember it pretty well.

What about caddies shagging the lifeguards in the toolshed at your country club?

I think you had to clean out all the Baby Ruths from the pools, IIRC

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think you had to clean out all the Baby Ruths from the pools, IIRC

Is the random Rodney Dangerfield appearance analogous to the Sim City tornado or riot?

I never played Sim Ant. Only played Sim Earth on SNES, and it was a bit too esoteric for that platform, I think.

Feb 25, 2011
The universally correct answer is: Xwing/Tie Fighter.

I also like the vote for NOLF. That game was just a classic. I can't imagine a game like that with today's technology. Would just be incredibly fun.

Games 15-20 years ago just had so much more "feel" to them than today's modern shooters and the like. I can't tell if the modern graphics ruin it or they just concentrated more on the feel of a game back then because they lacked graphics.
Also, we were young and had imagination.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also, we were young and had imagination.

While this is a small part of it, games like X-wing/Tie Fighter are simply not done anymore because there was so much depth to the controls. I mean think about it, there were all the targeting controls (nearest enemy, nearest friendly, nearest object, object under crossairs, and the various cycles through them), adjusting power between engines, weapons, shields, adjusting shield power (well, cycling between forward, rear, and balanced), controlling deployable wing surfaces (b-wing/x-wing), firing different weapons (ion cannons, blasters, missiles/torpedoes/bombs), and then of course scanning, throttle, roll, pitch, yaw....

I mean a console can't do that, so it won't get made :p

I would like to see MW remade (that would be the original MW as in MechWarrior, not Modern Warfare). And before you go spouting that they did remake it, no, they didn't. The made big stomping robots and called them Mechs which have similar appearance and names to Battletech/MechWarrior names/weapons, but not the proper rules. I'm waiting for the latest kickstarter that happened which appears to be trying to do the remake properly (including some of the original founders of the game/universe as well as the most famous of the authors of the novels/stories).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
While this is a small part of it, games like X-wing/Tie Fighter are simply not done anymore because there was so much depth to the controls. I mean think about it, there were all the targeting controls (nearest enemy, nearest friendly, nearest object, object under crossairs, and the various cycles through them), adjusting power between engines, weapons, shields, adjusting shield power (well, cycling between forward, rear, and balanced), controlling deployable wing surfaces (b-wing/x-wing), firing different weapons (ion cannons, blasters, missiles/torpedoes/bombs), and then of course scanning, throttle, roll, pitch, yaw....

ELITE, X-3, Universal Combat, any number of flight sims...

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
no one lives forever

Seriously, this.

I'd love to see really good remakes of some of the older puzzle adventure games, I know they did remastered versions of monkey island, and LSL was remade which is awesome, I think day of the tentacle is also being remade? I can't wait for that. I want to see dungeon keeper remade properly which again I think has a kickstarter on the way, theme hospital would be nice with the same comedy.

I'd also put in a vote for sim tower that was really good

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Lots of great nostalgic ideas here. I especially love the Syndicate remake idea.

I would like a new Warcraft game. Warcraft 3 was pretty good and ended on a cliff hanger. I'd love to see Warcraft 4 to find out what happens.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I think you could argue a point that SC will have a pretty advanced ship control / targeting system, even if all of them aren't currently implemented in Alpha - I'm pretty confident most of them will be there.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think you could argue a point that SC will have a pretty advanced ship control / targeting system, even if all of them aren't currently implemented in Alpha - I'm pretty confident most of them will be there.

Stop it. That game is a cancer. You have your thread for the cheerleaders. Stop trying to spread it like a religion.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
My list could go on for ages. The remakes I'd like to see (not in order of preference, it's just the ones that come to mind right now):

º Super Metroid (keep sprites, just give them more animation frames for more smoothness, add 3D backgrounds, remix the OST for better quality; and maybe add one or two new extra levels)
º Earthworm Jim (1 & 2) (same changes as above)
º Baldur's Gate (1 & 2) (keep the same point of view, but update the engine and make the characters and environments 3D; what comes to mind for the engine would be something along the lines of the one powering Heroes of the Storm)
º Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (keep everything intact, just update it to the DoW2's engine, that's it)
º Turok (1, 2 & 3) (update the engine, perhaps Frostbite or UE4, just something modern while keeping the actual games themselves intact; NOT reboots, but actual true remakes)
º Shadow Man (1 & 2) (keep the game intact, update the engine, characters / models, OST quality, maybe add a few areas here and there, some new secrets; but mostly just update the engine)
º Star Wars: Episode I - Racer (yes that game, I liked it, got a problem? Give me Racer on a modern engine, and maybe the ability to create my own pod racer, or customize existing 'canon' ones; add new tracks that have nothing to do with the movie and add new drivers. I know I'd love to drive a pod racer as Darth Maul on my bad ass black and red-striped racer with exhaust pipes on each sides. Just simply rename the game to Star Wars: Racer, skip the "Episode I" part and we'll be fine)
º Mass Effect (1) (still a good game sure, but it hasn't aged well in my opinion; the UE3 version it runs on was too early and ME3 looks like a game made two generations in the future compared to ME1. So keep the game intact and update the engine and everything that goes along with it, models, textures, etc; something along the lines of Frostbite, give it an authentic visual style similar to Inquisition; "authentic" to its universe that is)
º Perfect Dark (should I even bother explaining)
º Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (loved the game, and would shit bricks if I learned it'd be updated with the graphics of Battlefront; would also probably need a heart transplant following my reaction)
º STALKER: SoC and/or CoP (shouldn't need much explanation, superb games would be even better running on an updated engine; their atmosphere would be unequaled)
º Alien Vs. Predator (1994 Arcade Beat 'Em Up) (keep it 2D, maybe add 3D backgrounds, update and reanimate the sprites, add new levels, new Alien variants, new playable characters, or make the existing ones customizable to some degree; but generally speaking just keep the game intact, update the graphics)
º Virtual On (I'd LOVE another arena-style 1Vs1, 2Vs2 or 3Vs3 VO game; by "another" I mean the original Arcade one, or perhaps Oratorio Tangram on the Dreamcast, just massively updated; giant mechas fighting each others on a modern engine with a more serious, grittier visual style to it)
º Twisted Metal 2 (shouldn't need to explain it)
º Star Wars KOTOR (1 & 2) (duh)
º World of WarCraft (yes, I would play it if it didn't look like it was made for the N64)
º Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (no brainer; just update the sprites, give some 3D backgrounds)
º Blaster Master (my absolute favorite on the NES, so I am biased; I know it's popular generally speaking but I doubt that it'd sell today. Still I'd love to see a remake; keep it 2D, add 3D backgrounds)
º Chrono Trigger (similar to what I have in mind for Baldur's Gate; make it 3D but keep the same point of view... although to be honest Chrono Trigger is such a timeless classic that, simultaneously I don't want anyone to ever attempt to remake it... still... I'd love it... argh!)
º Metroid Prime (to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a remake of that one sometime on the Nintendo NX)
º The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I know right now that Twilight Princess is being HD'ed, that's indeed along the lines of what I'm thinking of, but I think they'd have to do even more; and in my opinion would probably be one of the best ways for Nintendo to show off what the NX would be capable of. I wouldn't be looking for a Zelda game that looks photo realistic, I do strongly believe that Zelda games need to have that style in them that scream fantasy; I'd only want the polygon counts on models to rival the likes of Battlefront, Order 1886 or Rise of the Tomb Raider for example)

And so on and so forth. I could keep going on about remakes I'd want for days.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The best 3D games made prior to around 2000 or so might be good candidates, because early models were utter garbage and rendering has gotten infinitely better. Morrowind is a good example, because it's oft cited as one of the best open world RPGs ever. The graphics were rather hideous however.

No 2D game needs a remake. They are what they are, and are exactly as good today as they were back then. Having higher res graphics of the exact same game will not improve them in any way. In fact I'd say they might end up being worse.