Remakes I need

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2 BOTH FIXED and in a modern engine. Finish all the KOTOR 2 content and put it in.
I'd be willing to entertain Elder Scrolls style gameplay. Or maybe even 3D isometric Pillars of Eternity style.
Ax the Full Motion Video and use 3D cutscenes for everything.

Elder Scrolls 1 thru 5 in a modern engine, also with all the quests fixed. And with all the stuff that was previously plugins integrated as one package.
NOT the gamebryo engine or its derivatives. Hell, even the Source engine would be acceptable.

Fallout 1-4 also in a modern engine. Again, integrate the add-ons so its all one clean package. Fix all the bugs and quest issues. Would also be willing to entertain thoughts of 3D isometric gameplay.

Doom 1 and 2 linked together in a HUGE game, also with a modern engine.

Master of Orion 2 with modern visuals. Could still be 2D but with a scalable map and UI to work at any resolution above 640x480.

All the Infinity Engine D&D games on something new, again maybe isometric view with a 3D engine, like Pillars of Eternity.
Ideally one massive game with a selection menu for all the campaigns, possibly with the ability to carry over your favorite heroes. Obviously fixing the broken quests and such would be nice. 3D rendered cutscenes instead of FMV.

Empire Earth 1 and 2 revamped. Fix the AI issue in skirmish.

Updated Dawn of War, with all the races included and one good campaign for each of them. Fix AI issues of course.

Final Fantasy games that dont suck.

Continue the remakes of all Leisure Suit Larry games.

Unreal and Unreal 2, and an Unreal Tournament that isnt garbage.
Finally make Unreal 3.

Half Life with resources remade from scratch, not conversions of the HL2 resources.

What else am I missing?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Screw that.
Just give me true, quality sequels.
Give me KotOR 3. Not TOR (i.e. Star Wars Theme Park with grinding)

Give me Half Life 3 after, what, 9 years?

A true Master of Orion 3..not the MOO3 we got.

Heck, it's even been FIVE YEARS since Skyrim. Let's get the next chapter, and not dumb it down to kiddie levels ala FO4.

The only one I can really get behind is Unreal. And that's because it was such a wonderful, immersive game, and has never had either a true sequel (Unreal 2 was garbage) or a remake.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Warlords III DLR and Warlords Battlecry 3. Would also love to see a new Midtown Madness and a good new Neverwinter.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The universally correct answer is: Xwing/Tie Fighter.

I also like the vote for NOLF. That game was just a classic. I can't imagine a game like that with today's technology. Would just be incredibly fun.

Games 15-20 years ago just had so much more "feel" to them than today's modern shooters and the like. I can't tell if the modern graphics ruin it or they just concentrated more on the feel of a game back then because they lacked graphics.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
The universally correct answer is: Xwing/Tie Fighter.

I also like the vote for NOLF. That game was just a classic. I can't imagine a game like that with today's technology. Would just be incredibly fun.

Games 15-20 years ago just had so much more "feel" to them than today's modern shooters and the like. I can't tell if the modern graphics ruin it or they just concentrated more on the feel of a game back then because they lacked graphics.

Plus 1...

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
Master of Orion 2 with modern visuals. Could still be 2D but with a scalable map and UI to work at any resolution above 640x480.

I would really like this.

As for the star wars space games, do x-wing/tie fighter/x-wing alliance, and include a mission editor. The fan made one for x-wing alliance was usable (including being able to import the previous games' missions), but an official one would be more capable.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Elder Scrolls 1 thru 5 in a modern engine, also with all the quests fixed.
Whilst it would be great to see a "Skyrim style" Daggerfall (High Rock "Breton" based), asking Bethesda to release a perfect game is like asking Santa for a magical unicorn that poops gold coins. :D As usual, such an endeavor is up to the modders (see "Skywind" and "Skyblivion" projects which are attempts to remake Morrowind & Oblivion in Skyrim's engine).

Doom 1 and 2 linked together in a HUGE game, also with a modern engine.
There are already modern OpenGL Doom Engine source-ports that can do 4K & widescreen resolutions, are HD texture moddable, have Bloom, dynamic lighting, ambient occlusion, mouse-look and optional jump / crouch, alternative full-screen transparent HUD's, etc, have long been added whilst actually retaining the core game-play & feel of the Doom / Heretic / Hexen game. Start with GZDoom and Doomsday. Just copy the master IWAD files (DOOM.WAD / DOOM2.WAD / PLUTONIA.WAD / TNT.WAD) to the dirs, and you're ready to go.

All the Infinity Engine D&D games on something new, again maybe isometric view with a 3D engine, like Pillars of Eternity.
For "total remakes" (as opposed to "spiced up" Enhanced Editions) of complex keyb & mouse driven D&D ruleset games like Baldur's Gate & NWN, etc, the only devs who are even going to look at that style are Larian (Divinity Original Sin) & Obsidian (Pillars of Eternity), both of which were Kickstarted. All the other "big devs" are interested in from scratch are the usual "accessible" (cough) ARPG's / action-adventure stuff.

What else am I missing?
Honestly, the biggest thing "missing" in these common "remake x" threads is the realization that you'll never get that original gameplay back with modern overly-cinematic, consolized official remakes / reboots, and there'll always be a huge gap between what +25yo fans want (a "true to the original" game) vs who devs are targeting (predominantly teenagers obsessed solely with sparkly bits). It's nearly always the older core fan-base community modders that are willing to retain "that thing" that makes a franchise feel unique / popular enough to spawn sequels in the first place far more than a completely different development team 15-20 years later (who may not have even played the originals) pursuing the "low hanging fruit" of "streamlined for a more 'casual' audience". :whiste: Many games you listed like Baldur's Gate, Doom, Morrowind, etc, have been heavily modded enough that they're entirely playable on modern systems in "better than original" conditions. Three examples of many:-

- Doom Vanilla vs modded
- Thief Vanilla vs modded
- Morrowind modded

For me, the only really broken games that need fully remaking from scratch are ones with seriously bad unfixable controls (eg, System Shock 1 had no mouse-look and the "Enhanced Edition" of that is still seriously iffy). Or were made during that annoying mid-90's "period of iffy incompatibility" where games were old enough to be designed for 16-bit Windows (and won't run on 64-bit Windows) or Windows 95 (and use early DirectX 1-6 versions) but simultaneously new enough that they can't be run under DOSBox / ScummVM. But even then, with a little community hacking you can get them to run (eg, DirectX 5 based Age of Empires, Commandos Behind Enemy Lines and Diablo 2 still look & play great with widescreen patches. Games which are simply a little blurred from having old res textures or lack in-game widescreen support are often best left to the amateur modding community to have a go at if you actually want the game to play the same before vs after. Likewise the lack of modern post-processing FX (eg, Depth of Field) can not only be added in via injectors, but half the time the older games actually look better with a "cleaner" look without several layers of garbage like Chromatic Abhorration stuffed in purely for the sake of it.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Instead of endlessly re-creating the same few games every 10 years how about we create new games?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Instead of endlessly re-creating the same few games every 10 years how about we create new games?

Clearly you dont visit the Steam page much.

THeres snatch-loads of new games.

Most of them suck.

Some of them are OK.

Many are in Early Access for years.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Kind of wish they would drop Fall Out and focus on Elder Scrolls. FO games have all felt the same.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
1942 and a remake of the movie Battlefield Earth, just kidding about the movie.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Shadow of Chernobyl - with the original map content (alpha build, before half of it got cut due to lack of resources).