Religious folks views of Atheists

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Given that Belief systems are made and spread by Humans, who else can Judge them?

The only arrogance I am guilty of is not just taking other Human's word for things. Is that really arrogance?

Oh hubris too? None of us has a god here to consult what is or what is not. For every practical purpose, we are the top of the being pyramid. Until something superior/better comes along to prove otherwise, we are all that we have.
People superior to you and me are born every day. It's called evolution. You're essentially saying that humans can never advance beyond where we are now because you're not able to imagine any being more advanced. Fine. I'm happy you're comfortable in your assumptions. We all need to take comfort in something.

As far as being an atheist, well, then I'm whatever isn't atheist, theist or agnostic. I don't want to be associated with you people in any way, shape or form. You're worse than Jehovah's Witnesses or Hari Krishnas in terms of trying to proselytize.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
People superior to you and me are born every day. It's called evolution. You're essentially saying that humans can never advance beyond where we are now because you're not able to imagine any being more advanced. Fine. I'm happy you're comfortable in your assumptions. We all need to take comfort in something.

As far as being an atheist, well, then I'm whatever isn't atheist, theist or agnostic. I don't want to be associated with you people in any way, shape or form. You're worse than Jehovah's Witnesses or Hari Krishnas in terms of trying to proselytize.

They are still Humans.

So essentially you are saying that questioning these things simply should not be done, because we don't know things. That's absurd.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
They are still Humans.

So essentially you are saying that questioning these things simply should not be done, because we don't know things. That's absurd.
You should know by now that's not what I'm saying.

And as far as future people being humans, I'm sure the Neanderthals thought the same. Bummer it didn't work out too well for them either.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You should know by now that's not what I'm saying.

And as far as future people being humans, I'm sure the Neanderthals thought the same. Bummer it didn't work out too well for them either.

What if 10 thousand years from now, if/when we have evolved into another species, they still don't know these things. Should they Believe the things we believe? Should they dare not draw conclusions on these issues in fear of being arrogant?

All I have asked for is Evidence of thse claims and for that I'm called arrogant and suffering from hubris. How does that make sense whatsoever?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
What if 10 thousand years from now, if/when we have evolved into another species, they still don't know these things. Should they Believe the things we believe? Should they dare not draw conclusions on these issues in fear of being arrogant?

All I have asked for is Evidence of thse claims and for that I'm called arrogant and suffering from hubris. How does that make sense whatsoever?
Holy shit. How many times to I have to say this. I'm not making any claims.

Obviously you are used to dealing with theists who have entrenched ideas and are going to argue with you. I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to point out a different kind of perspective.

Obviously, you're not interested. Cool. Don't be interested. I don't care.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Holy shit. How many times to I have to say this. I'm not making any claims.

Obviously you are used to dealing with theists who have entrenched ideas and are going to argue with you. I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to point out a different kind of perspective.

Obviously, you're not interested. Cool. Don't be interested. I don't care.

Alright then.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I'm going to be really honest here... I like all of you, I respect the lives that've brought you to where you are on these positions, and if your beliefs are what's right for you: I encourage you to keep at them.

But I just don't have the energy to keep going on this.

Thank you for the conversation.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The problem with threads like this is that, as a general rule, the people willing to put the effort into them have a point of view that isn't likely to change.

I know that's true in my case, even though I don't really have a point of view. No point of view is still a point of view.

For people on the theist side, there are any number of possible motivations. Some flattering and noble, some less so.

At first blush, the motivations for atheists might seem non-existent. After all, how can you be so passionate about NOT believing in something. Logically, they shouldn't give a shit one way or the other. They should basically be on the same plane as agnostics and you never see their getting bent out of shape over these sorts of arguments.

It makes perfect sense though once you realize that atheism, despite all of the protestations to the contrary, is still a belief system. It's a very basic one with just one rule, but a system nonetheless.

The day I find an atheist who doesn't want to convert me is the day I MIGHT start taking them seriously.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
The problem with threads like this is that, as a general rule, the people willing to put the effort into them have a point of view that isn't likely to change.

I know that's true in my case, even though I don't really have a point of view. No point of view is still a point of view.

For people on the theist side, there are any number of possible motivations. Some flattering and noble, some less so.

At first blush, the motivations for atheists might seem non-existent. After all, how can you be so passionate about NOT believing in something. Logically, they shouldn't give a shit one way or the other. They should basically be on the same plane as agnostics and you never see their getting bent out of shape over these sorts of arguments.

It makes perfect sense though once you realize that atheism, despite all of the protestations to the contrary, is still a belief system. It's a very basic one with just one rule, but a system nonetheless.

The day I find an atheist who doesn't want to convert me is the day I MIGHT start taking them seriously.

The only thing i find atheists passionate about is keeping religion out of areas it doesn't belong. That seems the biggest battle we face. But most aren't passionate about being atheist itself from what i've seen. It doesn't even come up in my life often at all outside of someone asking me if i'm religious and me telling them i'm an agnostic atheist.

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
People superior to you and me are born every day. It's called evolution.

Point of order: Evolution doesn't care if you're superior or not. It only cares if you can reproduce more successfully and that your progeny can better adapt to adverse conditions than others.

If you're the most superior human being ever and, like many elites these days, you choose not to have children then you're an evolutionary dead end.

Also, our measure of what is 'superior' may not align with evolutionary imperatives.

Given that all of humanity has a common mother in our ancient past then there's no reason why one individual of today's world might be the progenitor of a whole new humanity four million years hence.

Therefore it is entirely rational to consider that you could be the most evolutionarily superior human to have ever lived but that it won't mean bupkus unless you have kids to inherit your glorious awesomeness. :cool:

Bart*Simpson

Jul 21, 2015
www.canadaka.net
The only thing i find atheists passionate about is keeping religion out of areas it doesn't belong.

I know atheists who are passionate about their Corvettes. I also know some others who are passionate about wine.

Maybe you just need to get out more. The other atheists are a hell of a lot more interesting than the 'tards who obsess over what other people believe. :)

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
From my point of view, religion is a tremendous amount of dead weight for all mankind.
Believing in gods is taking a shortcut over learning and exploring and i say it's a cowardly way out of the hard part: learning and exploring.

Please go easy on me believers whatever you believe in, it's all the same to me, all religions, not a single difference.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
No difference from being a Witch, mumbling incantations and invoking Deities and burning someone you think is a Witch? I don't care what people think, I worry about what they do!