Reinstalling OS

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Hello,

Running win7 Home 64bit. My pc went retard(freezes, progs not responding) I am running ssd +hdd. If I reinstall win 7 (ssd), will I also need to format hdd drive that I store my games on? Or the main drive is all that needed for reset the pc to barebones?

Plus, any drivers/utilities I need to install after clean install, besides video card drivers?

Executioner

Oct 24, 1999
I had the same issue with my win7 x64 box. I turned out to be my SSD. I had to contact the mfg to get a erase program. Ran that which took only 10 seconds, then loaded an Acronis image I made about a month earlier, and all is well again. So it could be your SSD.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hello,

Running win7 Home 64bit. My pc went retard(freezes, progs not responding) I am running ssd +hdd. If I reinstall win 7 (ssd), will I also need to format hdd drive that I store my games on? Or the main drive is all that needed for reset the pc to barebones?

Plus, any drivers/utilities I need to install after clean install, besides video card drivers?

No need to format the data drive.
You can most likely just point steam/origin to the game in question, and it will work the same as before.
I would do a secure erase of the SSD before you install the OS again.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
No need to format the data drive.
You can most likely just point steam/origin to the game in question, and it will work the same as before.
I would do a secure erase of the SSD before you install the OS again.

Any tips on how to secure erase a bootable ssd?

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, boot off of a Linux LiveDVD, and learn to use "hdparm". (Use a guide.)

Link guides would be appreciated. Not sure which one to pick on internet.

I only have win 7 bootable usb now.

Edit: Figured it out.

Edit 2 : It also says my ssd has partition(system recovery, default ), and I have to delete it. Is it safe?

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You are going to reinstall the OS anyway... so nothing on the boot SSD is needed.
A Secure erase will clear out everything on the SSD.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
I booted into Ubunto (Linux LiveDVD), booting without installing ) from usb but I cant access win programs. Intel toolbox in particular.

From what I gathered I need to install Wine to access win programs. Can I install it on a usb stick?

Edit worikg on installing wine.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would tell you to upgrade from 7 to 10, it's free, and get the 10 home iso 1511 version to perform a clean install from.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I booted into Ubunto (Linux LiveDVD), booting without installing ) from usb but I cant access win programs. Intel toolbox in particular.

From what I gathered I need to install Wine to access win programs. Can I install it on a usb stick?

Edit worikg on installing wine.

hdparm is a native Linux program, why are you trying to run Windows programs?

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Intel recommends toolbox.

Edit; Ubunto is not an option.

Can I install WIn 7 onto HDD(my data drive) and then boot from it. SO i can install toolbox to secure erase the ssd. Afterwards I will install WIn 7 onto a clean SSD and wipe the hdd.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You can use what ever HDD you want to boot from, but keep in mind you will lose what's on your data drive. You can use Parted Magic to secure erase.

You could have done a repair install prior to a destructive format.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks.

Can I have the same Windows bootable usb( used to install and activate windows) again for another installation?

My data drive is games mostly, not much of a hassle :)

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
For another computer? If so you would need the retail version and not OEM. For your current computer it shouldn't be a problem.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Installing windows on hdd takes too long at expanding files step. 20 min 9%.

Maybe I should have deleted the hdd first and then format it instead of only formatting?

Edit: I have interrupted the install, rebooted. Deleted hdd. installing on unallocarted space.

Edit 2: Expending files still takes too long.40min 30% WD caviar black Using bootable usb. Prior to installing on hdd, I checked its status and it is ok. Not a faulty drive

Last edited:

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
It is finishing installing after ~3.5 hours since the start lol. There is a problem somewhere

Edit: Had to hard reboot cause the progress bar was not moving.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My pc went retard(freezes, progs not responding) I am running ssd +hdd.

It is finishing installing after ~3.5 hours since the start lol. There is a problem somewhere

Edit: Had to hard reboot cause the progress bar was not moving.

One or both of your drives is bad. If you disconnected the SSD, to install Win7 again on your data HDD, then my guess is that the HDD is bad.

Win7 should not take 3.5 hours to install. Not even on a P4 with an IDE HDD. (Unless you are talking about full updates too?)

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
Yes, you are right. Thank you. The problem has been fixed. HDD is dead.

I did not disconnect the SSD before installing win 7 on hdd. I did it now with win 7 on hdd and the problem has been solved! The speed is back to normal! ;)

WARNING! Spoilers..

HDD took 5+ hours to install win 7, with freezes and being stuck on a certain step requiring me to hard reboot. It was a f#%king clusterf#$k! It produced an error where something has interrupted intallation or encounterd problem, but I bypassed it via changing registry config. Afterwards setting up windows took another hour LOL.

It happened when I uninstalled Nvidia driver first onstead of Physx, did Nvidia driver breake the disk? lol

I have to order a new drive I guess. WD caviar black 1tb again.

It was a heck of pain in ass.

Last edited:

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
During the procedure my pc gained a currupted registry file for Windows update. Cant install updates.

Runninf win 7 repair install I have to choose 2 methods:

1)Go online for the latest updates(did not work for me, I think it is because of the corrupted file I have.)

2) Dont get the laest updates for installation. If I go with it, what kind of drivers will I need to install?

Thanks

Edit: Went with option 2

Last edited: