Reinstalled XP and Lost My SiI3114 Volume

acfoltzer

Jun 16, 2007
Long time reader of the site and sorry to make my first post a beg for help, but I got blindsided today.

Starting with the relevant pieces of my setup:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Older WDC Caviar on IDE (OS Drive)
2x WDC Caviar RE on Silicon Image 3114 SATA ports

Decided to reformat XP on my single drive, not thinking this would cause any problems with my storage volume. I had three of the Caviar REs in a RAID5, but a few months ago a drive failed so I converted the remaining two drives to the contiguous setting via the SATARAID5 utility. Basically, it's been working fine as a classic JBOD setup.

Well, after reinstalling XP and the chipset drivers, the contiguous volume is nowhere to be found. The SATARAID5 utility shows both of the drives, but shows them simply as "Available." If I try to create a "new" RAID group with the proper settings (Configuration: Contiguous, Capacity: MAX , both drives selected) it throws an error and says, "Create RAID Group Error: The Requested Operation Failed: Too many RAID Group members." This confuses the hell out of me, since I'm using the exact same configuration I used when I set up this temporary "array" and it seems ridiculous that two drives would be "Too many RAID Group members."

Anyway, I don't want to write off my data just yet. Since the reformatting and such was happening on another volume altogether, I expected this volume to return once I configured the drivers the same way they were before... and so I didn't back up. I'm pretty freaked out at this point.

acfoltzer

Jun 16, 2007
Not sure if this gives any insight, but when I try to use the BIOS SiI utility, it says both disks are reserved. I get the feeling that the drives have the proper volume information still, but the new driver has no idea what's going on. Any thoughts on how to jog its memory?