Registering prisoners to vote?

Opinionated

Oct 6, 2000
Apparently the NAACP is mounting a campaign to register prisoners convicted of misdemeanors and those awaiting trial to vote in the general election. This effort is being begun as part of a larger national movement to strike down laws prohibiting released convicted felons from voting.

I have a serious problem with this? Do you?

Opinionated

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
wait, you have a problem with ppl voting? actually where would you draw the line, does a citizen loose its "rights" if he/she goes to jail? does he become less human or a thing? with no voice?

then theres the fact that they pay no taxes and stuff, so honestly it would be a dead even choice.

dam()

Opinionated

Oct 6, 2000
Of course I don't have a problem with people voting.

But I DO have a problem with CONVICTED FELONS voting. This has never been allowed in general (there are procedures for a felon to apply to get his PRIVILEDGE to vote back), and I definitely don't think we should make it EASIER for rapists, murderers, child molesters, wife beaters, armed robbers, etc to vote after they've been convicted.

Seems like a pretty reasonable position to me.

Opinionated

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
People awaiting trial (assuming they are not already previously convicted) - yes, innocent until proven guilty and all that good stuff. Otherwise, no.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You didnt say convicted FELONS, do you know what a FELON is? Once you are found guilty of a felony you relinquish your right to vote, as well as other "rights". Do I complian that the Christian Coalition has registraition drives at church on sunday, damn strait I do, talk about a "captive" if not brainwashed audience.......

SHUX

Opinionated

Oct 6, 2000
Oh yeah... I forgot to explain. Most people probably think that voting is a right. Nope, it's a priviledge of citizenship just like owning a gun and a host of other things. When you are convicted of a felony crime, it is an indication that you are not an effective caretaker of citizenship, thus you lose certain priviledges.... like the two above.

As I said before.... If you do your time (all of it, parole included) AND apply through channels (generally the courts, sometimes the governor of the state), and demonstrate that you are exercising due care of your citizenship, your priviledges can be restored.

Not unlike losing your driving priviledges for say DUI or multiple moving violations, etc.

Opinionated

Opinionated

Oct 6, 2000
Shux, dude.... read my first post completely.... Of course I don't have a problem with those awaiting trial, or misdemeanor convictions voting (of course I'd rather see the 50% of non-voters that have NO problems with the law vote as well). That's not what I meant.... just that this was being used as the thin edge of a wedge to launch the larger movement to blanket re-instate the franchise to felons.

And yes, I DO know what a felon is. I come from a law enforcement family. I learned early. :)

Opinionated