registering for classes at your school

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
im attending Drexel U now.
registering for classes is no fun at all! we use Bannerweb. can take hours... like figuring what has to be taken to graduate, what classes i have taken three years ago, n preventing gaps in between classes is a hassle.

is it like this at other uni? what system do u use at school?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
i just have to meet with my advisor, he tells me what i have to take and does all the hard stuff for me. All i have to do is think of electives to take. I go to a small school (1200 students) so a system like this works better.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I just meet with my advisor and we look at my progress chart and decide what classes I should take. The entire scheduling process takes from 5-10 minutes and I go to a large university.

UofI

Banned
Sep 20, 2001
Here at the Univ. of Idaho the advisor does everything for me. You tell him what classes you want and they do it for. Also, you have the option to do it all yourself via the web.
Easy as cake. Do it myself also!:)

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
that pretty nice of your advisors to help and all, but what about picking the time and day? how do you manage them so that theres no gaps in between?

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
We use bannerweb too. I don't really like it but it's about ten times better than the non web-based system they were using when I was a freshman and sophmore.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<< We use bannerweb too. I don't really like it but it's about ten times better than the non web-based system they were using when I was a freshman and sophmore. >>

pre-web was before my time ;). The thing that sucks is that its a bitch to register for classes because they close so quickly. Since i switched management, though, it's a breeze. They tell you what to take, what year to take it, and i dont have to think about it. :p

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
pre-web was before my time

It sucked trust me. They assigned you a registration time at random and you had to go and make your schedule on the spot in this little room in the campus center. It was basically the luck of the draw, if you were one of the first people you would get anything you wanted, and if you were one of the last you didn't get squat.

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
That's pretty similar to what we have at my school. The system gets pretty bogged down so it took me about 45 minutes last time.

m00se

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

<< that pretty nice of your advisors to help and all, but what about picking the time and day? how do you manage them so that theres no gaps in between? >>

I just tell her what section and division I want to be in for each class and she does it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

<< im attending Drexel U now.
registering for classes is no fun at all! we use Bannerweb. can take hours... like figuring what has to be taken to graduate, what classes i have taken three years ago, n preventing gaps in between classes is a hassle.

is it like this at other uni? what system do u use at school?
>>

hey a fellow dragon...
i registered last monday, and it was the first time i didn't get totally f***ed over by bannerweb. i planned my schedule ahead and actually got what i wanted the first time i tried.

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
its so easy here. takes like 2 minutes to sign up for a semester. however, classes fill up like hell. there are like barely any good section times open depending on how many credits you have.

BlackOmen

Aug 23, 2001
I actually like the bannerweb system. I go to a small state school, and while the system can get pretty overloaded and slow, it still only takes 5-10 minutes. As far as finding out what you need to graduate, your adviser should fill you in on that.

You do see adviser before registration, don't you.............?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i do see my advisor. only for the purpose of checking to see if im on the right track, makin sure that i have all the graduating requirements. but still i wish the whole thing is more automated... like in high school :) all i did in HS was show up n the schedule is fixed.

I am doing a programming project to facilitate students and how they register for classes.

The software is being tailored with the following main features:
1. collects all the information into one database. Information about current classes being offered, classes that students need in order to graduate, and what students have taken.
2. collect students? preferences to take day or evening classes, or take classes at certain times.
3. based on students? preferences and the database, the software will generate tentative schedules that students can choose from.
when students accept a suggested schedule, the software will register them for the classes in that schedules.

DamageInc

May 26, 2001
Being the third person in this thread going to Kettering (SpongeBob and Iamwiz82 are the others), I'd also like to bash Bannerweb. Last term's Freshman class trying to register all at the same time and crashing the server was pretty bad.

Go Management!

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
we have a proprietary online system, and phone. fairly easy, you can plug in a list of courses and it'll find possible schedules for you.

Burnt

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2001
I do my registering through the same banner web type service. Not much of a problem

CStroman

Golden Member
Sep 18, 2001
At my HS, we just were given a booklet with all the classes in it and a sheet on which we write our desired classes. On registration day, we'd get our choices examined and pre-approved by a person, then we would go give the sheet to our respictive guidance counselors, and they would enter our classes into a computer. After every student has registered (those who do not register by the deadline will have their classes chosen for them :D), the schedule is organized in order to know how many teachers they need to teach a certain class n times per day. The registration process goes rather smoothly, though.

krakken

Mar 8, 2001
Yikes.. yea I'd not had that hard a prob, but I' was in a much smaller school, I'd agree w/Ralispec, small school, of course then you have to deal w/ crappy small school teachers..