Registering a domain name

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
There's a domain name I desperately want. However, some fool decided to "squat" it and ask $300+ for it. I know when his "ownership" expires and its coming up soon. Is there any way to ensure that I can get the domain name exactly when it expires? I'm hoping he wont renew it for a few days after his purchase expires.

Thanks

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Greyd
There's a domain name I desperately want. However, some fool decided to "squat" it and ask $300+ for it. I know when his "ownership" expires and its coming up soon. Is there any way to ensure that I can get the domain name exactly when it expires? I'm hoping he wont renew it for a few days after his purchase expires.

Thanks

You might want to read this thread. More than likely the person isn't squatting or a fool.

This thread.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Millenium

Thanks

You might want to read this thread. More than likely the person isn't squatting or a fool.

This thread.

yeah, just because someone hasn't developed anything on their domain yet doesn't mean that they're squatting.. unless you have some copyright/trademark/etc.. that predates when they first registered the domain..

your best bet is to use something like Network Solutions Snapback to monitor the domain name 24/7 and registers it for you once it becomes available.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Millenium

Thanks

This thread.

Nice thread with loads of useful info, thanks!

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
yeah, just because someone hasn't developed anything on their domain yet doesn't mean that they're squatting.. unless you have some copyright/trademark/etc.. that predates when they first registered the domain..

No I'm just bitter because its a gift for a friend and its a "name" domain. Like their firstnamelastname.com domain. And it is a pretty obscure/weird name. In addition, the guy's name who has it sure doesnt match the domain. Yes I emailed him and they said they wanted $300+ for it.:disgust:So they are a fool because they registered such a obscure name that hasnt sold in the last year and because I'm bitter.:p