Register Reports R520 to launch with unified shaders Arch

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
I beg to differ!!!

Sickbeast, if you read almost everypost i posted at the beginning, i contributed something very useful. However, it went downhill after a certain point, when tensions flared. I agree that i shouldn't have let it happen, being a long time forum member, but the fact is that it did.

He seems reasonably fine, and as others have said, he has at least added to the thread someone.

Because threatening me with a lawsuit, and saying that the moderators must do something about my early posts because i disagree with them are very mild mannered.

He has added something.... LOL its his thread!!! All he has done is simply post articles left and right.

He is correct in stating that Vista will have very steep graphics requirements if one wants to run it will all the settings turned on.

THAT IS WHAT I SAID THE ENTIRE TIME. However, Turtle is confused in thinking that without ditching your entire system for new parts you wont be able to run it at all, which is false!

-Kevin

First of all Kelvin . You added nothing to that thread Zero. Second Kelvin . I have a very nice Pc . Not 1 part in this PC is going to be Vista compliant. Including my LCD . When I buy Vista I want it to perform as Advertized .
Than in this thread you made this statement out to be something I wrote

This is the most ridiculous thread ever. I feel like someone at a Howard Dean rally. (Turtle) And if it has SM4... Were going to RUB IT IN THERE FACES!!!!

Now to me Kelvin this is really bad and I feel you should be banned over this . As it is a complete LIE and insulting to myself.

Than you call for a ban on myself and Morph . Just because were in the ATI camp .

The members here must feel kinda as I do That you are very young and immature but that is no excuse for your actions.

In threads were I am not involved you consistently flame people and start name calling.
Just who the hell do you think you are. In this thread you put yourself up there above everybody. EXCEPT MAYBE THE MODS MAYBEKelvin I really believe you should take some time away from your computer its not a weapon to lash out at the world with.
Its a tool Kelvin and is very useful. But in your hands its a weapon used to belittle others

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It is Kevin you moron! No 'L'

This is the most ridiculous thread ever. I feel like someone at a Howard Dean rally. (Turtle) And if it has SM4... Were going to RUB IT IN THERE FACES!!!!

Now to me Kelvin this is really bad and I feel you should be banned over this . As it is a complete LIE and insulting to myself.

You go post that i should be banned over that and see what you get. Stop whining.

Do you know the definition of ANALOGY.

First of all Kelvin . You added nothing to that thread Zero. Second Kelvin . I have a very nice Pc . Not 1 part in this PC is going to be Vista compliant. Including my LCD . When I buy Vista I want it to perform as Advertized .

WHen did i ever say you didn't have a nice computer. How do you know that it isn't Vista compliant. As i have said many times, you are preaching that an OS 2 years out has certain system specs. There is no way to know anything, so stop preaching that these are facts. Additionally, i was having a very nice discussion at the beginning of this thread, until you started accusing me of misinformation which lead to retaliation on my part.

The members here must feel kinda as I do That you are very young and immature but that is no excuse for your actions.

In threads were I am not involved you consistently flame people and start name calling.
Just who the hell do you think you are. In this thread you put yourself up there above everybody. EXCEPT MAYBE THE MODS MAYBEKelvin I really believe you should take some time away from your computer its not a weapon to lash out at the world with.
Its a tool Kelvin and is very useful. But in your hands its a weapon used to belittle others

Says the person who has been here a total of 11 days. YOu dont have a clue how much i contribute to these forums.

How did i put myself above everyone? Please show me an example. Dont you even try to lecture me. YOu need to step back and take a look at what you are typing here.

Than you call for a ban on myself and Morph . Just because were in the ATI camp .

You know full well that that statement is false, as i have said NUMEROUS times.

Look lets go our seperate ways. Lets just agree to disagree. Im tired of arguing the same point with you over and over. All i am doing in these actions is making myself look bad. I have had enough. If you want to have a civil discussion, fine im ready.

All that aside. rbV5 i should have heeded my own advice from previous threads, the thread is only a flame war if the people within it make it one. While it wasn't completely me, i went way overboard (and am ashamed by it). I should have known better, being here so long and all. For all this i am sorry.

I have a formal apology post in the FI forum.

-Kevin

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Never mind Kevin. This thread is probably dead now . So at monent as far as off topic is concernd I have nothing further to add.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Rollo

And you want to be a mod? Anyways turtle is obviously much more intelligent than the most of yous. I would say he is at work and bored and whipping the gang with debating skills. Stays polite also. Is quite entertaining. :beer:

Which of Turtles "Beware teh Vista" arguments do you find "intelligent" Ronnn?

I'm interested to know.

[/quote]

The one that has kept you lesser lights dancing and calling names for the last 100 pages of vid forum or so. Hint: I said debating skills, which has nothing to do with a more accurate prognosis of the future. Why at one point someone commented that the end of nvidia in vid cards was like the end of the world or something and Kevin is beside himself. Really I think the guy is just having some fun with the fanboys here.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Kevin is beside himself.

I haven't even mentioned ATI or Nvidia. Stop turning this into that argument.

-Kevin

Did I mention Ati or Nvidia? To futher clarify (for the slow folks here), I am suggesting an excellent debater is baiting the fanboys and doing a nice job. :beer:

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Did I mention Ati or Nvidia?

Yes:
Why at one point someone commented that the end of nvidia in vid cards was like the end of the world or something and Kevin is beside himself.

-Kevin

Oh I see where you are coming from. Really should not have been in the same sentence as 2 different subjects. The first half was a reflection how silly these interpretations of turtle1's premise are getting. The second half was a reflection of the emotional attachment to a company.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ronnn
Kevin is beside himself.

-Kevin

Did I mention Ati or Nvidia? To futher clarify (for the slow folks here), I am suggesting an excellent debater is baiting the fanboys and doing a nice job. :beer:

I'm not surprised you think Turtle is "an excellent debater"- I'd say you two are like two peas in a pod, much alike.

Congrats on finding a twin!

Turtle 1

Banned
Sep 14, 2005
Did you guys see the specs. on the nitendo gaming consol. RNR520. They seem to support the thread topic Interest

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

I'm not surprised you think Turtle is "an excellent debater"- I'd say you two are like two peas in a pod, much alike.

Nope more like you, we must be twins!!

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Did I mention Ati or Nvidia?

Yes:
Why at one point someone commented that the end of nvidia in vid cards was like the end of the world or something and Kevin is beside himself.

-Kevin

Oh I see where you are coming from. Really should not have been in the same sentence as 2 different subjects. The first half was a reflection how silly these interpretations of turtle1's premise are getting. The second half was a reflection of the emotional attachment to a company.

I have not shown a bias. I dont own an ATI card right now (or at least one worth mentioning), so therefore i tend to stay out of those threads, as there is a lot of subjectivity. I personally dont care who is in the lead. However you may be referring to my thread that went something like "What is wrong with Nvidia!?!?!?". That was merely disbelief that, while they were supposed to be pulling out all the stops, they were still topped by a noticable margin in some benches. As long as their is competition i will buy whoever suits my needs best.

I seriously wish i would have bought a 9800Pro instead of my current card. The only reason i bought this card was for the VIVO. However, i could have just went and bought a seperate card. Ah well.

Take it or leave it, i seriously, and honestly dont mind who is in the "lead".

-Kevin

Edit: I do go into driver threads for both companies, as i study drivers extensively. (Occasionally, i just go and mess around in the registry). As for the ATI cards i own, 9600XT, and an onboard P4 RS chipset. Like i said neither are very good for commenting on what you guys talk about.

reever

Oct 4, 2003
Oh my jeebus, when exactly did this thread go so far off topic? when des the actual info/discussion begin/end so I know what to read? I've been away from computers for awhile

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: reever
Oh my jeebus, when exactly did this thread go so far off topic? when des the actual info/discussion begin/end so I know what to read? I've been away from computers for awhile

Basically since the second page of the thread. The worst part about it is they won't stop.

Clauzii

Apr 24, 2003
"Do not doubt teh Turtle's powers Sickbeast! He has come from the future to tell us of a time when ATIs patent from 2003 ends all computer gaming as we know it.

He is like Kyle in "Terminator 2"- he comes from a time where nVidia does not exist because they made a comment about unified shaders a few years ago.

Teh Turtle is a wise visionary who had no time to learn to spell, only to build a time machine and come warn us to make the right video card choices now, because in two years none of us will be able to buy Vista compliant hardware for reasons as yet unknown to us.

Teh Turtles posts are too advanced and scientific for us to comprehend, we can only do as he says and pray."

VVeerrryyy nice one Rollo :laugh:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Originally posted by: videogames101
Originally posted by: Ronin
If Turtle works for The Inq, perhaps I should call Charlie (yes, I have his #) and see if this is fact or not.

plz do, i would like to know.

There's no way that he does; he can't even spell!

Do not doubt teh Turtle's powers Sickbeast! He has come from the future to tell us of a time when ATIs patent from 2003 ends all computer gaming as we know it.

He is like Kyle in "Terminator 2"- he comes from a time where nVidia does not exist because they made a comment about unified shaders a few years ago.

Teh Turtle is a wise visionary who had no time to learn to spell, only to build a time machine and come warn us to make the right video card choices now, because in two years none of us will be able to buy Vista compliant hardware for reasons as yet unknown to us.

Teh Turtles posts are too advanced and scientific for us to comprehend, we can only do as he says and pray.

:(

Rollo are you drinking bourbon again?

In any event, "teh Turtle" may well be right, and he may well be wrong. I tend to think that many of his assumptions are quite plausible, and I enjoy this type of discussion. You guys are just flaming him because he predicts that the R520 will be a mammoth beast.

I have a feeling that alot of people here are going to eat their shorts in 10 days time. :p

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: reever

If you have been away for a while, this is probably one of the last threads you want to look at.

-Kevin

DeeSlanger

Oct 9, 2003
[/quote]

Rollo are you drinking bourbon again?

In any event, "teh Turtle" may well be right, and he may well be wrong. I tend to think that many of his assumptions are quite plausible, and I enjoy this type of discussion. You guys are just flaming him because he predicts that the R520 will be a mammoth beast.

I have a feeling that alot of people here are going to eat their shorts in 10 days time. :p[/quote]

imported_Rampage

Jun 6, 2005
Kevin is beside himself.

-Kevin

ROFL

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
If it is a unified shader GPU, it would perform like crap with only 16 pipelines, even at high clockspeeds. R600 and G80 are both supposed to be MORE than 32 pipelines.

Think about it, G70 is 24 pipes, with 6 vertex shaders.

A unified GPU, in order to get the same shading and fillrate power, would have to have 30 pipelines to match, with the same IPC and clockspeed.

You start talking about a 16 pipe card thats unified... you have the Geforce 2 MX of unified shader GPUs.

Now, if we go by anandtechs comments right before they went under NDA, they said 16 pipes, 16 vertex shaders. If it was in fact a unified GPU it would be 32 pipes.

But it isnt.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Actually i believe G70 is 8 vertex shaders. I wonder if R520 is 16Vertex Shaders, what type of perf. difference that will bring

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Frackal
Actually i believe G70 is 8 vertex shaders. I wonder if R520 is 16Vertex Shaders, what type of perf. difference that will bring

It would make the R520 tremendously good at shader heavy games, such as fear, and HL2 with HDR.

I do think its 8 as well but i said 6 because i thought the card was "Quads" (4 pipes and 1 vertex shader)

It may be 3 pipes and 1 vertex = 1 quad, i dunno i need some sleep.

Needless to say, when you filter out the crap, 16 pipes and 16 vertex shaders @ 600mhz+ is a mean chip.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
This kind of sucks, there is almost no way this would be worth trading in the GTX for, but it may be better in some areas nonetheless.

Oh well, maybe the next gen will come sooner