Regarding our previous post about use of the word, "gay"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AaronP

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
so is it ok to say something like "man that X-Box controller is gay."

---

Please don't push it.

AnandTech Moderator

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think you guys are trying to push a rope.

25 years ago, it was considered by a large portion of the population to be a negative thing to be straight. Why? Because at that point straight meant that you didn't smoke pot. As in:

Hey... is that guy cool?

No.. I think he's straight.

How about now? Now most of the population considers itself straight and that it is not a negative conotation (or any conotation at all), and it has nothing to do with drugs but with homosexuality. As in:

Hey... that guy's cute, is he gay?

Nope, you're out of luck, he's straight.

My point? Language changes. Terms change. Those things which are thought of derogatorily by a large part of the population are often used in a derogatory fashion. From my view point, for instance, as a Christian, I've been called:

Bible Thumper
(A member of) The Immoral Majority
Jesus Freak

Now each of these things is meant to be derogatory and directly points to my choice to be a Christian. You know what? They aren't nice to say, but they are what they are and they have been absorbed into American English as such... I'll get over it!

I'm left handed. Sinister means "lefthanded" or "from the left". It came about because a culture long ago felt that there was something wrong with "left" and correct with "right". I don't go around telling people they shouldn't use the word though... because the original conotation has been lost and now it is thought of in the current context.

I don't think that the use of the word "gay" as meaning "not how it should be", "bad", "less than perfect" or whatever is going to change. In time, it will either (like sinister) become a part of our language with that definition or it will fade out as a fad. If the former, then eventually it won't be banned here or anywhere else, if the latter, then in the end it won't matter anyway.

Joe

Merkat

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
>Net -- Howdy back atcha.

Howdy to y'all too...... O-pea.

>That said... as usual, you and I differ. Merkat's point about
> communism is meaningless blather. If he meant to say
>totalitarian
Nonsense Cut.....

You may not be "gay".... But, you are kinda "queer".

>But then, I guess I shouldn't be anti-semantic.

You're such a card, Harv.

>Regarding the rest of your statistics -- That's all they are, statistics. They do not deal with the more important issue, real individual gay human beings and the right of each to be judged on his/her/ individual merit. Their sexual preferences are not mine, but I don't feel any need to be judgmental of their choices. As long as they don't agress on my body, it's really their business.>

A Mormon polygamist was just convicted of moral crimes against "society". Society does have the right to judge some acts as being detrimental to society.

>I know you believe homosexuality is a sin. I believe being judgmental about the private sexual conduct of consenting adults is a sin of arrogance. It's just not anyone else's business.>

Then you must not agree with the Utah decision against polygamist Tom Green.

>Ah, yes. Those thrilling threads of yesteryear. If I recall correctly, at the time, you were on a thundering preach, save and conversion trip, ala the legendary Rextroll. I was as intolerant of that as you were of anyone who dared to protest the possibility of an alternative truth. My view was, and remains, that in the perspective of an open forum centered on computers, good people can have different philosophical truths, and mutual respect requires tolerance for the beliefs of others. You and I reached that a long time ago. <

And of course you would be one of those &quot;good people&quot;.... fighting for truth, justice, &amp; the American Gay. It may earn you a couple of bucks within the heavily &quot;gay&quot; influenced recording industry. It doesn't do much for your moral credibility.

How does that go? Something like..... gain the whole world but lose your soul.... selling your soul for a fist full of silver.

Ah.... have a nice &quot;career&quot;, Harv. May you get all you deserve.
Bye......

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< And of course you would be one of those &quot;good people&quot;.... fighting for truth, justice, &amp; the American Gay. It may earn you a couple of bucks within the heavily &quot;gay&quot; influenced recording industry. It doesn't do much for your moral credibility. >>

Although I am on the opposite side from Harvey on this one, I find the above quote judgemental and ignorant.

Merkat

Banned
Dec 22, 2000

<<

<< And of course you would be one of those &quot;good people&quot;.... fighting for truth, justice, &amp; the American Gay. It may earn you a couple of bucks within the heavily &quot;gay&quot; influenced recording industry. It doesn't do much for your moral credibility. >>

Although I am on the opposite side from Harvey on this one, I find the above quote judgemental and ignorant.
>>

You have to consider the what I wrote above within the context of Harv's earlier post...

<< << Merkat -- No, I'm not gay. I used to be a pro musician, and now I design professional audio equipment. Much of my work is around the entertainment business, so I know a number of gay people. If you have no tolerance for it, you don't stand a chance of staying in business. I have known a number of gay people for whom I have considerable respect, and some have been good friends. >>

Harv seems to be saying that he won't find work within his field if he doesn't support &quot;gay rights&quot;.