Regarding our previous post about use of the word, "gay"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SiliconVandal

Banned
Nov 17, 2000
Well, I'm a lesbian. Can I get banned for expessing my sexuality? I mean, I am a minority like the gay people in this forum, but I don't rule like them :)

Oh yeah, sorry for getting myself banned for saying my Volume Control in Win2k was 'gay'. hahaha

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Merkat -- No, I'm not gay. I used to be a pro musician, and now I design professional audio equipment. Much of my work is around the entertainment business, so I know a number of gay people. If you have no tolerance for it, you don't stand a chance of staying in business. I have known a number of gay people for whom I have considerable respect, and some have been good friends.

One more thing -- If you're thinking of getting in my face about it, you're probably picking on the wrong guy.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< saying something is &quot;gay&quot; like it sucks is a direct insult to homosexual people. >>

I disagree, that was the whole premise of my disagreement too essentially. The intended meaning of the word gay wasn't origninaly to denote a homosexual person. Calling something gay to mean it sucks is a similar slang meaning. When you say something sucks are you refering to fellatio? The most popular meaning isn't always the one being used, the words in our language are very flexible and to say that &quot;gay&quot; belongs to homosexuals only is an odd idea I think. I doubt many people who say that something is gay to mean its bad are making a comparison to someones sexuality, its just slang. When you say something's cool do you mean its physically cold?

Mods: I'm glad to hear you guys listened to us :) Letting supersix back in was nice of you two ;) I assure you that your actions are appreciated by all of us! I don't think there are many people on this forum who would condone personal attacks on anyone!

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
EngineNr9- So I take it you think being gay is a bad thing?

Soybomb- I have to disagree with you there. When a person heres the word &quot;gay&quot; they think of a homosexual. Many people believe that being gay is bad and/or wrong. So when someone says that &quot;something is gay&quot; then they are saying something is bad and/or wrong. You see how a person who is gay can take offense to that? Even if you think the word is just &quot;slang&quot; it was derived from homosexuality and the people who thought that it was wrong to be gay.

SiliconVandal

Banned
Nov 17, 2000
If we can't say communist, I am going to be offended. I am from the Ukraine, and I was born into Communism. I don't believe in it, nor like it, but we should be allowed to say it. If your going to ban gay, you can't ban Communist, the word..otherwise you'd be offending..

Oh, that's right...im deeply hated for being a LESBIAN.

commie commie commie...

my name is Dimitri Vladimir Korsakov and my father is Akardi Renko Korsakov..

eat me :)

---

Good bye,

AnandTech Moderator

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
EngineNr9 was a little harsh, but I think the point was valid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there is no such thing as a right or wrong opinion (since they have no factual basis), we can only agree or disagree with it, essentially forming an opinion of an opinion and so forth. And opinions, as long as they break no rules, are allowed.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Very good mods. Wise and thoughtful response. The members will do thier best to police abuse of the word. You certainly had a full plate today. I hope you nailed the nef that started the attack earlier. I hit the forums just as that began and I was showing a friend the forum I most frequent when that started. Being puzzled as to what was going on,I was elated to show him how fast and swift the response was from the mods and administrator of this forum. It put a big grin on my face,and my friend was indeed impressed.

My hat's off to you today.:D

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
While I have not known why such censorship was considered in the first place, seeing this post and the decision of the moderaors to retract it makes me feel that this board is not restrictive about what we say. Unless it deliberately harms one member in a way.

I feel that it was a good call on their part and I think that if such a word is banned then that other discriminatory words should be banned as well because such the official declaration of the prohibitive use of one word singles out the party it was intended for.

Either way, the mods have done a good job with this board. And with that lengthy post in For Sale/Trade, yeah it can be rough sometimes doing a job but well appreciated! :)

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Will we also be banning the use of the word lame?

Because that can mean someone who has a physical handicap, and that was its original meaning.

*sigh*

Note: I have nothing against homosexuals, but I believe this issue is being blown out of proportion. Just my opinion, spare me the flames (no pun intended).

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Eh.. I don't really want to be told how I should use my language. So what if it offends gay people! Anyone can choose to be offended by any term.

Also, not everyone has fully accepted gay people yet. I, for one, am still debating on whether a person is or chooses to be gay, whether it is even a healthy lifestyle, whether it is morally wrong or not...

I do not need to be told by a few Anandtech moderators that I must accept a certain lifestyle that according to many peoples' religions is morally wrong. I don't fully agree with the statement &quot;There is nothing wrong with being gay.&quot; The vocal minority should not outweigh the majority. Avoiding tyranny of the majority does not mean tyranny of the minority.

I would like to think that my conservative views will not get me banned from the forums. Though I don't respect most gay peoples' lifestyles, I still respect them as people.

I'm just sick of seeing people posting things like &quot;The Bible is evil&quot;, which offend me, but then the same people expecting people to be banned for opinions against homosexuality because they supposedly offend homosexuals. Now, I can't exactly treat the forums like they are free, but there needs to be limits. Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

PM me if you have a response - I probby won't keep up with this thread.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
You older forum members know I have no problem about using the word &quot;gay&quot; - in the newest slang - to refer to something as &quot;lame&quot; or &quot;weak.&quot;

I am also respectful around &quot;gay&quot; (homosexual) people so as to not pursposefully offend them.

It's all a matter of semantics. My guess is - in ten years - &quot;gay&quot; will again change in meaning. It's all part of the evolution of the English language. You older people better just get used to it.

Anyway, I am glad AnandTech Forums has adopted a bit more relaxed attitude (in some things).

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
I prefer the original meaning of the word 'gay' (happy), but that's my opinion.

Off topic, but nonetheless interesting: Robert Spitzer, a well-known psychiatrist, said during the last congress of the APA that homosexual oriented people can with some difficulty become heterosxual again. Indeed a few 'homos' indeed succeeded in becoming 'straight' again, although it stays a very controversial topic.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't personally believe that sexual orientation should have anything to do with the wonderful world of Anandtech, but I also understand how important it is for us all to live in harmony with one-another. The word gay wasn't originally used to describe people who prefer the homosexual lifestyle. It was adopted through years of slang usage. I always thought of the word to mean &quot;happy&quot;. As in, &quot;Here comes Peter Cottentail hoppin down...yada yada yada...everything's bright and gay&quot; or however that stupid song about the Easterbunny-Wannabe goes...:)

I'm glad that we can once again use this most-versatile word, I just hope it's not abused in the negative ways that it has in the past. Thank you and good night!

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Homosexuals stole the word &quot;gay&quot; to denote themselves. Things would have been much different had they chosen something like &quot;sassafrass&quot;.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
JellyBaby, that's kind of how black people stole the word 'brother' to mean a fellow black person. ;)

I still love to see the reactions when I call my white friends 'brother' in front of a group of black people. Face it, race doesn't mean anything, but the jokes are still funny.

Non-offensive disclaimer: This post is in no way meant to offend anyone party to the countless groups that could choose to be offended by it. If you are offended, please write your local Congressman.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< Off topic, but nonetheless interesting: Robert Spitzer, a well-known psychiatrist, said during the last congress of the APA that homosexual oriented people can with some difficulty become heterosxual again. Indeed a few 'homos' indeed succeeded in becoming 'straight' again, although it stays a very controversial topic. >>

I heard about that. It also stands to reason that a highly motivated straight person could become gay. What level of psychotherapy would be needed to accomplish that at the fundamental level??? How much of that person would still be themselves after that? Do they really think that they should put 27 million US citizens through it? Just a little perspective.

Also, I think you could change just about anything in a person with enough effort, just don't blame me when that brainwashed/mind warped 'straight' convert snaps and goes postal.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
27 million Americans.. now there's a figure blown WAY out of proportion. I believe the real number is closer to 2.7 million Americans.

You can't expect to tell me truthfully that 10% of the population would consider themselves gay.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001

<< 27 million Americans.. now there's a figure blown WAY out of proportion. I believe the real number is closer to 2.7 million Americans. >>

The 10% figure has been quoted by many. However, your figure is 1%. That is definitely much less realisitic than 10%

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<< I believe the real number is closer to 2.7 million Americans. >>

Do you have some substantiation of your estimate? Links or other documentation to prove your statement would be helpful if you expect credibility. Or are you just posting your own wishful thinking?