*REFURB*Lenovo Grade A Desktop ThinkCentre M92P i7 3rd Gen 3770 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD 256 GB SSD Intel 4000 Windows 10 Home 64-bit M.L. $369.99 @ Newegg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
83-994-527-S05.jpg

Lenovo Grade A Desktop Computer ThinkCentre M92P Intel Core i7 3rd Gen 3770 (3.40 GHz) 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 4000 Windows 10 Home 64-bit Multi-language *REFURB* $369.99

Should be able to drop in a GTX 1650 or even a GTX 1660 / Super / Ti into this case, and get a half-decent gaming PC out of it. (*)

(*) May have to buy a SATA-to-PCI-E-8-pin adapter for $6 shipped from Newegg if you go with anything higher than a GTX 1650 D5 or D6 card.

(As our helpful, but distraught user below mentions, I was wrong in assuming that there was a SATA lead available from the PSU. Apparently, SATA power comes from connectors on the mobo, which is bad news for my idea, because those are designed to power single drives, whereas a SATA drive string off of a PSU can often source 75W without issue. The PSU is proprietary, and not easily replaceable. So your best bet, is to get a GTX 1650 card, WITHOUT a PCI-E 6-pin power connector on it. Most of the ITX form-factor cards are like that.)

Note also, that this is sold directly by Newegg, so that's one reason why it's a little bit more pricey than my usual refurb posts, but it's a tower, and it includes pretty-much everything but the GPU, in order to build an entry-level gaming PC, for around $500-600 total.

Last edited:

rudyhenkel

Jul 6, 2020
Hi! Thank you for the post/info. I ended up buying this as well as a GTX 1650, as recommended. The tower does not have a six pin power cord for the GTX 1650. Does this mean I need a new power supply?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You must have bought a higher-end GTX 1650. They make them with, and without, needing 6-pin PCI-E power. You were supposed to buy the one without. Sorry for not mentioning.

All is not lost, you can probably use a SATA power to 6-pin PCI-E adapter, those are fairly cheap. (Just picked up one myself, for an EVGA SC Ultra GTX 1650 D6 version, that takes a 6-pin.)

rudyhenkel

Jul 6, 2020
Thank you for your help. There is a single spare SATA power, but that is coming off of the motherboard rather than directly from the PSU. Is that likely to be insufficient?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, it would likely be "better" if you got a single SATA power adapter to 6-pin PCI-E for your card, but I have a fairly strong feeling that it would be OK to just use one "leg" of the dual SATA power to 6+2-pin PCI-E power adapter, and use it as a 6-pin rather than an 8-pin, and it would probably be equivalent.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thank you for your help. There is a single spare SATA power, but that is coming off of the motherboard rather than directly from the PSU. Is that likely to be insufficient?
On second thought, I don't know about that, if the mobo power-coversion circuitry can handle 75W or 85W on the +12V line. Most drives only take 20-25W.

I would instead, return the GTX 1650, and get the one that doesn't have PCI-E power connectors.

I apologize, when I told you to get the adapter, that totally glossed over that the SATA power was connected to the mobo, rather than coming as a lead off of the PSU. That could make things a bit "Dicey".

Edit: On second thought, it will probably work, but I've not actually worked on one of those PCs. If the GTX 1650 card, that you purchased, that has a 6-pin PCI-E supplemental power connector, it all kind of depends on how it was designed to power the card. A 6-pin PCI-E power connector is specified as supplying 75W, as is the PCI-E slot itself. So in theory, the card could use as much as 150W, and if the SATA-to-PCI-E-6-pin power connector was connected to the mobo's power-conversion circuitry, that would probably overload it, as it was design to power 20-25W SATA drives, and not video cards.

But if the GTX 1650 only takes up to 100W (even the GTX 1650 Super maxes out mostly at that), then if it draws up to 65-75W from the slot, and only 25-35W from the SATA power adapter, that could work. In fact, assuming that your GTX 1650 is a non-Super variety, it probably maxes out at 85W. So long as it doesn't take the max power from the PCI-E power port, you're probably golden.

@DAPUNISHER , need some more expert help on this situation.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In all cases, though, it should work fine with a GTX 1650, either the GDDR5 or GDDR6 variants, that DO NOT have a PCI-E 6-pin power connector necessary.

rudyhenkel

Jul 6, 2020
Is it not possible to get a better PSU to replace it with? I'd rather not eat the restock + dual shipping fees on the video card if I can avoid it. If I can't... oh well, I guess.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't know if that PC uses a proprietary PSU or not. If it's not standard ATX 24-pin + 4/8-pin +12V, then it's going to be a heck of a time replacing it with something better, unless there was a factory-shipping model with bigger, better, PSUs (also proprietary), and they have surplus of those available for sale.

Do you know enough about PCs, to determine if the connectors on the mobo look like standard ATX connectors? If the SATA power is coming off of the mobo, rather than the PSU, that's another serious indication that the PSU connections are likely proprietary.

When I posted this thread, I kind of assumed, not having actually owned this model of PC, that the SATA power leads, that there would be at least one free, and that it was coming off of the PSU. I apologize.

However, my suggestion of going with a GTX 1650 was not necessarily wrong, just forgot to mention that there are two varieties, ones that take PCI-E power (6-pin), and ones that don't. Most non-OC and ITX single-fan variants do NOT.

I mean, this is an enthusiast site, so I kind of glossed over that, figuring that most people were "in the know" about the GTX 1650 6-pin versus non-6-pin issue, but I guess I probably should have mentioned that.

Anyways, always research before purchasing. I do often purchase many of the items that I post (maybe 40% of them), and can often give more info directly about them, but this one I did not purchase, and I was making some basic assumptions about the PSU that apparently, were a little wrong.

If you've watched any "budget OEM Gaming PC build videos" on YouTube (which really would be a good idea before trying to do so for the first time), they often mention that the only real purpose of the GTX 1650 GPU, is to get the version without the 6-pin PCI-E, to use in OEM (pre-built) systems.

rudyhenkel

Jul 6, 2020
ok. Thank you again. It has the 4 pin, but not a 24 pin (it has 14 pin instead). So I'll not go that route.

Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
One (hopefully) last question, please. Is this one the "right" one:

That one should work.

You can tell, by clicking on "Specifications", and looking at the wattage, and if it calls out a "6-pin" or "8-pin" power connector. That one is 75W, and no mention of a 6/8-pin power, so you should be good to go.

You can also click on the picture of the product on the left, to get into the detailed pictures mode, and then click through the pictures, and see if there's a 6pin or 8pin socket on the back or top side of the card.