Refurb HP TG01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3500 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB $459 shipped

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Funny you should ask that because just tonight I was telling Usandthem
that they pulled the package just as it was supposed to get to me today.

Ihe unit was supposed to get to me on Friday 7-9. I guess that's when they printed the label on 7-4.
Friday delivery got changed to Saturday because I guess it was transferred to Fedex ground in Kansas City.
Sat came and went (I saw it was still in Kansas on Fri night) so I actually didn't expect it Sat.
They sent a new update saying it would be here Monday, which was still fine.
Monday I got the email update saying it would instead be here Tuesday.
Then 5 minutes later, another email stated that the package was in Sacramento
and was being redirected back to VIP out let.

Yep I got the shaft on this and I see they still have my CC charged from Feb 5th or 6th.

Never again with these assholes.
Sorry they stopped your shipment after it shipped. FWIW I let them know I didn't care for the way they handled this particular deal and cancellations in a survey they sent. A customer rep did reply only addressing their clunky website ordering with a generic script. They completely glossed over the part where they lied about why they cancelled the orders.

I just now did another survey about rating their crappy customer service reply with a zero out of ten. A lot of good it will do.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
Some of you might just be in luck if you want one of these. They're in stock right now (Grade A, 512GB SSD) for $525. Better hurry.

Feb 4, 2009
Not that exciting at $525 imo. True cost will be closer to $600/700 when you add memory or a larger ssd.
However if you are desperate for a machine that’s an acceptable price/package

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
You can probably find a coupon code to get $50 off a $500 purchase from VIP Outlet. $475 plus tax and free shipping is a pretty good deal for the components you're getting. I just think the whole is less than the sum of its parts, so to speak. Personally I wouldn't use a system like this for gaming since HP's attitude is "it's okay to run the cooling fans at minimum speed until the processor reaches 90 C and we won't let the end user change it". There are some things I like about this PC. It's compact, it's sleek (I unplugged the bright LED light on the front of the case), it has an efficient power supply, it has a card reader, it's quiet, etc. I just think it's better to replace the processor and video card with something more appropriate like a Ryzen 3 3200G instead of pretending this is a "gaming PC". (If you think the green LED is cool, by all means leave it plugged in.)

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
You can probably find a coupon code to get $50 off a $500 purchase from VIP Outlet. $475 plus tax and free shipping is a pretty good deal for the components you're getting. I just think the whole is less than the sum of its parts, so to speak. Personally I wouldn't use a system like this for gaming since HP's attitude is "it's okay to run the cooling fans at minimum speed until the processor reaches 90 C and we won't let the end user change it". There are some things I like about this PC. It's compact, it's sleek (I unplugged the bright LED light on the front of the case), it has an efficient power supply, it has a card reader, it's quiet, etc. I just think it's better to replace the processor and video card with something more appropriate like a Ryzen 3 3200G instead of pretending this is a "gaming PC". (If you think the green LED is cool, by all means leave it plugged in.)

Kid who bought mine on FB with the 3400G and 16 GB of ram (I took the 3500 and 1650 Super) came to pick it up and swear that his first question was "this is the one with a cool green light on the front, right?"

LOL. I've learned that making it RGB sells it like 10x faster on CL/FB so it's a killer feature for gutting and reselling, imo :)

Since @DAPUNISHER confirmed the stock NVME works somehow with the 3000G its still a good looting candidate. Even getting ~$150-200 out of the shell with the 3000G means you are OK on the GPU and CPU.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
LOL. I've learned that making it RGB sells it like 10x faster on CL/FB so it's a killer feature for gutting and reselling, imo :)
Yup, the expression is - RGB sells PCs. Where are you putting the RGB that it helps the sale? No window, so while l I used white led ram, you can't really see it.

And I agree with @jiffer about it being better with an APU. Or maybe a 1650 that is slot powered at most. It also must have occurred to everyone here, that a bunch of these ended up as refurbs for a reason. My guess would be heat related failures were a primary cause. Next would be McAfee, compounded by other bloatware related performance issues leading to returns.

Anyways, I would do biz with VIP Outlet again because I had a flawless experience with them. And having the system reject my orders on the foul up was what you expect from a merchant. Not ship something, probably the APU system, only to pull it before it arrives. And cheap out even further by not refunding the customer's CC promptly.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
Incidentally, I received a call from VIP Outlet's customer service center because they missed a call from me. When I called back their number, I got a recording identifying them as "goTRG". They're one of the largest electronics refurbishers in the US. Their specialty is taking returned merchandise off the hands of big stores like Walmart, Amazon, Lowes, Target, etc etc, fixing it up and reselling it. I guess VIPOutlet is their storefront, or possibly one of many. Good luck boycotting them if you ever want to buy refurbished electronics. You might be buying something from them (they might be somewhere in the supply chain) and not even know it.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yup, the expression is - RGB sells PCs. Where are you putting the RGB that it helps the sale? No window, so while l I used white led ram, you can't really see it.

That's just it - this model has RGB built in! I took pictures with the PC on and the green glow evident on the front. Worked like a charm.

I was slow to the RGB game, mostly because I traditionally loved subtle, classically attractive and quiet cases and so that was what I was trying to move. Like you said, where to you put a RGB light when the front is a solid panel and there is no window? But at least they all DVD drives :D

Also wanted to point out they have a Legion gaming tower that goes in and out of stock at $700.

10400F, 16GB, 512GB SSD and a 2060. After 10% coupon that’s $630 plus tax. Obviously it would be better for taking the GPU if it was a non-f cpu. Despite that it is arguably currently easier to get that, toss the case, motherboard and PSU (sell for extremely cheap) and DIY it from there IMO. Legion supposedly uses MSI GPUs as well.

It’s at least as warm as this deal and the 2060 is a clear tier above the 1650 Super and I think the 10400f is a small but noticeable step up over the 3500. Coming with 16GB ram makes it set without an upgrade. You get $200 worth of upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: legcramp

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
11 days since these jamokes intercepted my package and turned it back to their warehourse
and I still have not received credit for my order.
I never, ever will buy from these guys again. Remember, I ordered on 7-2-21.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
11 days since these jamokes intercepted my package and turned it back to their warehourse
I guess the bad press they got by recalling the package wasn't enough, as they seem to be in no hurry to refund the money paid for it.

My gut feeling told me they were going to do that. I definitely don't do business with companies who act in that manner.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Have you tried calling them during business hours? I called to cancel my first order and got right through to someone.

1-888-792-7372

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Have you tried calling them during business hours? I called to cancel my first order and got right through to someone.

1-888-792-7372
Yep, I did on 7-14. The csr said the credit was already issued.
She lied.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Yep, I did on 7-14. The csr said the credit was already issued.
She lied.
Then I would contact your bank since you have emails and a tracking number proving you didn't get what you ordered. They should also be able to see if the refund was issued.

Feb 4, 2009
Already did. I disputed the charge and I will let my bank deal with it.
FWIW, I still haven't received the credit.

Bank is going to reach out to the seller to see if you received a product and if they don’t prove or answer within a pretty tight time frame they will refund you. Going to guess it will happen early next week.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Could this have something to do with the PC being called back?

Feb 4, 2009

Could this have something to do with the PC being called back?

Maybe but I think it was because it was a pricing mistake. The text in the link/url indicated a lesser machine than was shown.

COEO1st

Dec 13, 2023
I received my 10% discount refund so all is good now with vipoutlet.

I've been slow getting this system setup. I had to pick my new Medicare supplemental coverage and schedule my vaccine shot this past week. I was ready to load up a game DVD disc and realized it doesn't have a DVD drive - DOH. I know I can load many of the games through Steam, etc, but I want to go old school. Anyway, there is an empty drive bracket in the case where you can add a 3.5 HD or 2.5 SSD/HD and a DVD drive. I had some spare laptop DVD drives so I tried to install one but it didn't fit. Turns out all of my spare laptop DVD drives were slim (12.7mm high) and I need an ultra slim (9.5mm high) for this system. The only problem left is the front bezel does not have a slot for a DVD drive so I'll have to keep the bezel off until I figure something out.
A little late to the conversation and I created an account just to post this to you lol... I was miffed that I did not have a DVD drive as well. Here is my post from the HP forums site with my solution and final result. Hopefully it helps :).

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
A little late to the conversation and I created an account just to post this to you lol... I was miffed that I did not have a DVD drive as well. Here is my post from the HP forums site with my solution and final result. Hopefully it helps :).

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post! Welcome to AnandTech! Be sure to hang around for awhile.

I finally got around to installing a DVD drive. I found that the front bezel for a HP M01-F1033WB would work and it had a DVD slot in it. I had to dremel a hole for the USB-C connector to get it to fit properly. It doesn't have the bling of the original but that was OK. I ordered a 9.5mm slim DVD and bezel for it. I also had to order a special cable adapter to convert from regular SATA and power cables to the slim version ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JXKQ9O ).

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg