Refurb HP TG01-0023w Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 5 3500 3.59GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB $459 shipped

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Updated the OP with the Walmart deal. Just in case it comes back in stock again. It is a steal at $399+tax.

Wanted to update on alternate hardware configs too.

I have confirmed the Athlon 3000g works perfectly with this Erica board. It properly displays it as a Athlon 3000g in the bios too. Popped the battery for 30 secs, and on boot it took a little to "train" then it was fine. And both the CPU and iGPU are overclockable using Ryzen Master. Right now 3.7GHz CPU, and 1350MHz iGPU. This is my first try on this setup, hence the conservative settings. Based on the last 3000g I had, should be another 100MHz or more headroom on both. Ran Heaven bench fine, next up is 3DMark stress test.

Being a 35W APU, the cheesy cooler handles it easily. I am using a graphite thermal pad with it and so far temps don't break mid 50s even with the basically silent fan speed.

The 2x8GB 3000 ram kit still runs its rated speed after one reboot. First time it runs 2133, next boot the XMP kicks in.

Only issue I had was it would not boot without a drive containing an OS on it. Gives 3 beeps, and requires a the 30 second CMOS clear to boot without the beeps. I tried various secure boot disabled, change boot order, enable legacy boot. It simply wouldn't boot without finding the OS boot manager. Anyone know how to get around that? Because I had to start the windows install on another system. Then when it gets to the stage where it has copied everything from the USB stick and does the reboot, turn the system off and put the SSD in the HP. At that point I can proceed normally.

Anyways, this thing's footprint is small enough that it makes for a nice HTPC setup. Particularly with how quiet it runs. I will probably play with it for another month or 2 then sell it off.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My biggest issue with 3000G was that it didn't have (normally, without a riser card) the ability to use the NVME slot. Is it working for you?

I cancelled my 3000G for like $50 at Microcenter because I discovered this reliance on SATA. It would be funny if the HP bios made it work anyway.

Feb 4, 2009
These have been in and out of stock at Walmart over the last few days.
Last time listed it was $485.
What is the current opinion on them.
Power supply looks good for a HP machine
1650 is an acceptable 1080P card
Memory is sort of slow and one stick only.

Cost of cards is finally dropping (slowly but dropping), is a machine like this still worth it?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My biggest issue with 3000G was that it didn't have (normally, without a riser card) the ability to use the NVME slot. Is it working for you?

I cancelled my 3000G for like $50 at Microcenter because I discovered this reliance on SATA. It would be funny if the HP bios made it work anyway.
I am using a SATA 120GB HyperX fury with it. All the games and apps are on a external USB-C SSD. There was a HP firmware update through windows update, but not sure what the change log is for it. All my nvme are in use, I will order a small one for testing though. I'll let you know how that goes.

Someone at HP should be horse whipped for this cooler though, and for the terrible fan speed curves. Managed to hit 68c CPU 57c iGPU on the time spy stress test with current overclock. Hottest spots on the board were low 60s using a IR Thermo, obviously with the side panel off. Considering that HWinfo says the package power never exceeded 33W, that's really bad cooling. I cannot not imagine a 3700X in this little box, even with a better cooler. Probably burn this board up in under a year with steady gaming.

Current overclock is 3.85GHz CPU/1500MHz iGPU/1500MHz IF. I'm getting 26 points less then ETAprime did in time spy, and his overclock was 4GHz/1650MHz/1600MHz. So I think I will leave it where it is. One or two FPS isn't enough to bother pushing harder. ETA also had issues with GTAV, hitching and stutter, I don't. Perhaps because I am using freesync? 1080P with FSAA, high textures along with a few other high settings, and crowds, traffic, and distance scaling turned up as far as the vram will allow. It stays locked at 30 pretty much, even without half vsync. Impressive for such a cheap APU.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What is the current opinion on them.
Power supply looks good for a HP machine
1650 is an acceptable 1080P card
Memory is sort of slow and one stick only.

Cost of cards is finally dropping (slowly but dropping), is a machine like this still worth it?
That's $515-$530 after tax for many buyers. I don't think I would buy another at that price. And the GPU is a 1650 super which can be up to 40+ percent faster than the base 1650.

About the 400W platinum PSU: After watching the Gamers Nexus review of the 500W that comes with the Dell, it looks like this could be part of the same line from Lite ON. Using 3 separate +12v rails, all limited to their own max wattage. In this case 16W per rail. That means approx 200W? or a little less, power limit for GPU. Though not a big deal given the case's size and its thermals, which are also limiting. Maybe max out around a RTX 2060?

Kind of a bummer to see this type of PSU being used. As if the proprietary connectors were not bad enough, now you have hard safe limits on what you can load on a given +12. Boo I say, Booooo. :p

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Feb 4, 2009
That's $515-$530 after tax for many buyers. I don't think I would buy another at that price. And the GPU is a 1650 super which can be up to 40+ percent faster than the base 1650.

About the 400W platinum PSU: After watching the Gamers Nexus review of the 500W that comes with the Dell, it looks like this could be part of the same line from Lite ON. Using 3 separate +12v rails, all limited to their own max wattage. In this case 16W per rail. That means approx 200W? or a little less, power limit for GPU. Though not a big deal given the case's size and its thermals, which are also limiting. Maybe max out around a RTX 2060?

Kind of a bummer to see this type of PSU being used. As if the proprietary connectors were not bad enough, now you have hard safe limits on what you can load on a given +12. Boo I say, Booooo. :p

A buddy is pretty ill and is looking for a new machine since for the time being and immediate future he will be home bound.
I’m vaccinated and willing to help him build but he doesn’t seem that interested in building and finding an acceptable video card is basically impossible today which sort of defeats the purpose of building.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

I would say, in the defense of the system, that if you just added a stick of ram and a big internal SSD and didn't touch it with Ryzen Master it seems like there isn't anything glaringly wrong with it. I mean, no particular component lets down the whole kit. The cooler works without being a dustbuster. The PSU is competent (larger would honestly be a waste with the stock config). It has a shiny light. The wifi and bt are functional. NVME is speedy if smallish and cheapish. All the pieces fit together.

Which for a system I paid ~$380 shipped for I think is solid praise. Too many more expensive systems are deeply disappointing in some regard.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I would say, in the defense of the system, that if you just added a stick of ram and a big internal SSD and didn't touch it with Ryzen Master it seems like there isn't anything glaringly wrong with it. I mean, no particular component lets down the whole kit. The cooler works without being a dustbuster. The PSU is competent (larger would honestly be a waste with the stock config). It has a shiny light. The wifi and bt are functional. NVME is speedy if smallish and cheapish. All the pieces fit together.

Which for a system I paid ~$380 shipped for I think is solid praise. Too many more expensive systems are deeply disappointing in some regard.
I paid $465 because of tax here in Florida for the certified refurbished. Wish I gotten your deal, I'd be more complimentary of it at that price. ;) But it really is destined to be e-Waste because of all the proprietary hardware used. I agree with long hair Steve on that issue. I hate that level of planned obsolescence; so wasteful.

But I don't disagree it is a good value OOB at what most of you paid for it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
A buddy is pretty ill and is looking for a new machine since for the time being and immediate future he will be home bound.
I’m vaccinated and willing to help him build but he doesn’t seem that interested in building and finding an acceptable video card is basically impossible today which sort of defeats the purpose of building.
Sounds like you can justify the purchase then. He will definitely be happy with it. It turned in good 1080p gaming performance OOB. Will do even better with another stick of ram. Particularly for the 1% lows. I will sell you mine cheap, if you decide to go that route. What I am seeing people ask for the HP ram is outrageous for a bare stick of meh ram.

Feb 4, 2009
Sounds like you can justify the purchase then. He will definitely be happy with it. It turned in good 1080p gaming performance OOB. Will do even better with another stick of ram. Particularly for the 1% lows. I will sell you mine cheap, if you decide to go that route. What I am seeing people ask for the HP ram is outrageous for a bare stick of meh ram.

Aw that’s super sweet.
I’ve only spoken with him by text and phone.
Going to try to see him in person this week. Not sure what his budget looks like.

Feb 4, 2009
BTW
@VirtualLarry @DAPUNISHER

He currently has the motherboard, cpu and memory from my old Q9650 machine that you both have commented and helped with.
13 years old now.
Gave it to him pre Corona because his machine crapped out and he just started a new job.
Currently it has the same problem I had but more regularly. Blue screen at power up which kind of regularly happens now plus new errors that lead to a crash. Probably half the problems are from his case it is sort of sheet.

Feb 4, 2009
Honestly, I don't really know that I would trust any Core2-era box to keep running.

Yeah upon disassembly I remember a capacitor on the board looked swollen and another looked a little warped.
I suspect there are multiple things that aren’t working to spec anymore and this is why its performance is spotty.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
[snip]
Walmart.com is a "marketplace" where other stores can sell their products. When Walmart ran out of stock, they let another store sell the same item in the same listing. Notice who the seller is: VIP Outlet. That's where the original deal in this message thread originated. You can buy merchandise from VIP Outlet through Walmart if you wish, but I'd rather order it from VIP Outlest's own website where I can use a promo code for a discount. The price at VIP Outlet has been fluctuating all spring. The last price I saw when it was back in stock was $495. I think it was $519 and $535 last week.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Walmart.com is a "marketplace" where other stores can sell their products. When Walmart ran out of stock, they let another store sell the same item in the same listing. Notice who the seller is: VIP Outlet. That's where the original deal in this message thread originated. You can buy merchandise from VIP Outlet through Walmart if you wish, but I'd rather order it from VIP Outlest's own website where I can use a promo code for a discount. The price at VIP Outlet has been fluctuating all spring. The last price I saw when it was back in stock was $495. I think it was $519 and $535 last week.

Yeah I noticed that later, original link was sold by Walmart in stock link was from someone else.
Sold by Walmart is at $399 but currently out of stock.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Amazon sent me a 256GB NVME Inland overnight. Works fine with the 3000g. Cloned the SATA SSD, disconnected the SATA, rebooted, and it never missed a beat. Don't know where the problems arose, but this one works perfectly.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Amazon sent me a 256GB NVME Inland overnight. Works fine with the 3000g. Cloned the SATA SSD, disconnected the SATA, rebooted, and it never missed a beat. Don't know where the problems arose, but this one works perfectly.

Threaded like this one are numerous:

Not sure if HP is doing some magic to split off PCIe lanes or what because from what I understand, AMD nurtured “Athlon” CPUs from using the built in nvme links on the CPU, but as pointed out by others a PCIe riser card lets you use an Athlon and nvme without issue.

OEM “magic” or something.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Threaded like this one are numerous:

Not sure if HP is doing some magic to split off PCIe lanes or what because from what I understand, AMD nurtured “Athlon” CPUs from using the built in nvme links on the CPU, but as pointed out by others a PCIe riser card lets you use an Athlon and nvme without issue.

OEM “magic” or something.
Thanks brother, I did a fast search, and you were not kidding, tons of threads about it not working. I had no idea that was even a thing. I think I used the last 3000g I had with SATA and M.2 SATA only. It ended up in a ASRock A300W desk mini. I would have probably spent undue time troubleshooting the issue if I was not so protective of what my NVME drives get used for.

I guess I will apologize to it, for talking mean about it. Not only does it work with the 3000g it works with NVME. Gets close to the Inland's rated speeds too. Claim is 1900/1100 CDMark is 1600+/1200+

I am starting to consider it for a XBOX 360 mod. Eyeballing it, it looks like if I cut out the rear of the Elite 360, it would fit, along with the PSU. I think the cooler might be too tall, but I have seen how to use other coolers with Erica already.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks brother, I did a fast search, and you were not kidding, tons of threads about it not working. I had no idea that was even a thing. I think I used the last 3000g I had with SATA and M.2 SATA only. It ended up in a ASRock A300W desk mini. I would have probably spent undue time troubleshooting the issue if I was not so protective of what my NVME drives get used for.

I guess I will apologize to it, for talking mean about it. Not only does it work with the 3000g it works with NVME. Gets close to the Inland's rated speeds too. Claim is 1900/1100 CDMark is 1600+/1200+

I am starting to consider it for a XBOX 360 mod. Eyeballing it, it looks like if I cut out the rear of the Elite 360, it would fit, along with the PSU. I think the cooler might be too tall, but I have seen how to use other coolers with Erica already.

I bought some thermal pads from grizzly. I forgot the name but they are supposed to cool really well.
I’ve been meaning to change the putty like thermal compound on my x570 above the NVME.
Would you need a solution like that for an Xbox?