Reflections

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
While not personally that attached to the figures who have died over the past years, the sheer magnitude of the deaths has led me to conclude that the world that has been "built" from the time of the boomers onward is going to indeed disappear and a new stable paradigm will replace it. Things change when a living entity dies and something truly becomes "fossilized" and no one from that era is present on the Earth. More legends will pass, Don Mclean, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamaill, are getting up there, along with many others.

As a 18th century music fan, the death of Beethoven was one of many markers of a world that was shifting. The style that he started with and ironically helped destroy was fading fast and Romanticism would take hold. Nation-states would become a thing, scientific discoveries would be profound.

(And I guess Mariah Carey helped influence the title choice of this thread, lol)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
5-6.jpg

;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Mariah Carey really has to be one of the worst singers ever. I mean, it just isn't close She's so fucking awful.

And not without tools mind you: she's got everything anyone needs to be a great singer, probably more than anyone else, but she can't fucking sing. I think this is because she simply doesn't understand any of the songs that she sings. She belts out shit to hear her own voice and nothing else. They are all the same. They are all senseless and no one anywhere can really ever explain what she's singing about at any time, because it's just": "OooOOoOo oooOSOoodsoo ooooOOoOOOoooooOOOOoOOOOoOOooO"

every.

fucking

song. It's just trash.

You know who curbstomps Mariah into the bin of irrelevance? Billie Holiday. Probably the greatest singer ever to come out of the USA, and she had ZERO RANGE! Basically one octave under her command (if that), but easily the greatest singer through generations. It isn't close. That's soul. Mariah is just a vapid husk of talent with no skill.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mariah Carey really has to be one of the worst singers ever. I mean, it just isn't close She's so fucking awful.

And not without tools mind you: she's got everything anyone needs to be a great singer, probably more than anyone else, but she can't fucking sing. I think this is because she simply doesn't understand any of the songs that she sings. She belts out shit to hear her own voice and nothing else. They are all the same. They are all senseless and no one anywhere can really ever explain what she's singing about at any time, because it's just": "OooOOoOo oooOSOoodsoo ooooOOoOOOoooooOOOOoOOOOoOOooO"

every.

fucking

song. It's just trash.

You know who curbstomps Mariah into the bin of irrelevance? Billie Holiday. Probably the greatest singer ever to come out of the USA, and she had ZERO RANGE! Basically one octave under her command (if that), but easily the greatest singer through generations. It isn't close. That's soul. Mariah is just a vapid husk of talent with no skill.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

every.

fucking

song. It's just trash.

Mariah Carey is going to be the very last fruit from Beethoven's musical tree. I hear many things in her songwriting that is clearly influenced, unconciously maybe by someone who had some exposure to "classical" from Mozart onwards to Verdi. ;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There ARE people who think Cheez-wiz is fantastic cheese too! ;)
I am quite drunk on the Beethoven Kool-Aid bud. His "Brilliant Classics" complete is 86 discs and I sure listened to all he wrote, literally, sans the Choral Fantasy because the pressing on that one disc was garbage.

Thus, my opinion is duly qualified. ;)

(And besides, not even most classical casuals would hear "Ich Denke Dein" or the Waldstein variations in their lives. One must truly be "Obsessed" with him). ;);)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
this thread confuses me
Got derailed well off of my intentions. Reminisce about the past and think about the future.

I mean, I don't know what the future is going to be, but automation and robosex is going to come...and the end of silicon on the leading edge of chips.

• Love
Reactions: Captante