Reference cards and discrete components

neckbeardo

Mar 6, 2016
I'm thiking of getting an AMD Fury Nano as it seems a to be at a good price point for today's games. As you all may have heard cards in the Fury series seem to have coil whine and is especially pronounced in the Fury Nano.

I had a bit of a look a what people have said about the various brands that manufacture the Fury Nano and it seems that the Sapphire Fury Nano has managed to avoid the coil whine. Which is expected of Sapphire give their reputation.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire, but then I saw a Powercolor Fury Nano for about £30 cheaper. But reviews have talked about significant coil whine.

The Fury Nano is a reference-only card, so all Nanos have the same PCB layout, processor and vram. Now coil whine is caused mainly by the chokes.

So I was wondering whether AMD's reference-only design extends up to which chokes the manufacturers use? What I mean is that did Sapphire use better quality chokes than Powercolor for the Fury Nano? Or did guys who purchased the Sapphire one just get lucky?

I know chokes are simply a conductor coiled around a ferrous core. But I know that there are certain things you can do like ASUS using a cement core for their cokes and I was thinking that Sapphire did something similar.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
When I purchased my first Sapphire GPU, I paid a little extra for it. Worth it.
When I purchased my second Sapphire GPU, I purchased the cheapest GPU I could, which was the Sapphire after I waited for a great deal. Worth it.

Depends on the return policy and order hassle is what I say though.

Great Return Policy and no order hassle? The Power Color.
Poor Return Policy and long wait times/order hassle? Sapphire.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Depends on the return policy and order hassle is what I say though.

Great Return Policy and no order hassle? The Power Color.
Poor Return Policy and long wait times/order hassle? Sapphire.

Aren't you talking about the RMA policy? Returning to manufacturer is not returning exactly as you can never get away from ownership and are under the will of the manufacturer. It's best to figure out if the card has whine before having to rma and thus return to the seller.

OP, buy from a good seller like Amazon, and you'll be able to figure out if it's noisy or not well within their 30 day return policy.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Honestly I don't think its a good time to buy a higher end card or anything over 250$.
New cards will be here soon and that card will be worth much less very quickly.

good luck though.

metalliax

Jan 20, 2014
I have a Fury Nano that is about 2 weeks old and have zero coil whine. Though I will admit that the fan will spin up and be quite loud if not undervolted.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Aren't you talking about the RMA policy? Returning to manufacturer is not returning exactly as you can never get away from ownership and are under the will of the manufacturer. It's best to figure out if the card has whine before having to rma and thus return to the seller.

OP, buy from a good seller like Amazon, and you'll be able to figure out if it's noisy or not well within their 30 day return policy.
No I'm talking about return policy.

I even specifically said return policy and never mentioned returning to the manufacturer.... Nothing in my post even indicates that lol.....

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
Is there a reason why you want the nano over the Nitro fury? The Fury is going to get you more performance than a nano and will be quieter.