Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and with the stock cooler the max OC I can apply is:
3.7 GHz @ 1.28750 Volts. Don't know if it's stable "exactly" because I couldn't run Prime95 for more than 7 minutes as the temperature would exceed 85C. It got through 10 consecutive runs of Cinebench CPU test though, with a max temp of 80.5C. So it's safe to say that I'll need a good cooling solution to test my current OC and push the chip further.
I'm interested in buying an air cooler and since my rig is yellow-black themed, I'm interested in Reeven's coolers, particularly Ouranos and Justice.

My question is: Would one of these two be enough for my overclocking needs ? I don't mind pushing the voltage past 1.35 Volts. Actually I wouldn't mind cranking it up to 1.45 Volts if the thermals allowed. I'm interested in the thermal performance of these two coolers and whether they will do the job or not ? By doing the job I mean not exceeding 65-70C on load and not exceeding 30C on idle. On Prime95 it might exceed 70C of course but not 80C. If I could reach 3.8 GHz with these thermals and a max voltage of 1.45 Volts I'd be a happy man as I think I don't have the best 1600 at hand here.

Also I'm open to other cooler suggestions but I need the cooler to be yellow-black themed.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Pure opinion, but the Small FFT option in Prime95 doesn't represent anything close to real world. What it will do is give you incredibly unrealistic temp increases on Ryzen processors. Go with blend or maximum power consumption over that if you're stressing with Prime95.

I ran into that issue you're talking about with temps exceeding 80C when real world stuff hangs around 60C under full load with a Scythe Mugen 5 cooler.

I don't have an opinion on the coolers you suggested so I can't say.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the input. I did the blend tests actually not the FFT ones. Even that may be unrealistic because I didn't see temps as high as prime95's blend test on my daily usage.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
For a good time try Small FFT and be sure to hover your mouse over Stop before your computer shuts down from thermal protection if it's enabled. ;)

edit: I guess Blend actually does eventually get around to testing Small FFT's now that I recall, my apologies. Try maximum power consumption.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
I had a "good time" back when I did a test on prime95 (don't know which one, might be small FFT) and saw a 100C. I wasn't knowledgeable back then so I let it reach 100C which was not wise now that I think back on it :D

Yasha72

Nov 5, 2009
I have the Reeven Justice. Great cooler. I am at 3.8Ghz and 1.35v. Full load temps are around 65-70C IIRC

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I really don't think much is going to stress the CPU like that. I don't have a Ryzen yet but I would stress with something like Occt to start with. Maybe do a run with Intel Burn Test or Prime 95 to check its actually stable with a higher load(but ignoring temps unless they get way too high).

Once I know its stable I would test it with the most taxing program I actually use, on a hot day if possible, and if those temps are fine I know the CPU is unlikely to spend time so warm its going to degrade quickly.

A quick look at my 6700 suggests Prime 95 is about 20 or so degrees higher than OCCT and most stuff I use the computer for.

Burak Canik

Oct 26, 2017
I have the Reeven Justice. Great cooler. I am at 3.8Ghz and 1.35v. Full load temps are around 65-70C IIRC
R5 1600 ?

I really don't think much is going to stress the CPU like that. I don't have a Ryzen yet but I would stress with something like Occt to start with. Maybe do a run with Intel Burn Test or Prime 95 to check its actually stable with a higher load(but ignoring temps unless they get way too high).

Once I know its stable I would test it with the most taxing program I actually use, on a hot day if possible, and if those temps are fine I know the CPU is unlikely to spend time so warm its going to degrade quickly.

A quick look at my 6700 suggests Prime 95 is about 20 or so degrees higher than OCCT and most stuff I use the computer for.
I did test with OCCT and temps were even worse. But yeah I wouldn't "stress it" either (pun intended) if temps were normal on prime95. But 85 was way too high imho.